Thread: Trouble with VE tuning 2010 CTSV

Tuner in Training

Trouble with VE tuning 2010 CTSV

Finally got the Calibration Tune setup right so its in SD mode and started logging. Using the AFR Commanded versus Actual to create my charts. Seems like for whatever reason I always get this ridge in the VE table that logs . Not sure what it is or how I should adjust the Ve table properly to adjust. To the left and right side are both really close yet this one spot always comes back. Comments , suggestions??

Chart.JPG

Advanced Tuner
    That ridge is normal. As you go up in rpm at low loads (low MAP) your engine very efficiently moves some air. What would be helpful is for you to post a pic of your VE table for us to see. That AFR error chart in of itself is a bit difficult for anyone to draw conclusions from without seeing the VE chart that it will get multiplied against.
    2010 Camaro LS3
    Kenne Bell 2.8 Supercharger
    BTR stage 3 PDS Torque Cam
    Frankenstein M311 heads
    9:1 forged rotating assembly
    Speed Engineering Headers
    ID1000 Injectors
    Twin return fuel fuel pump
    PLX Wideband
    HP Tuners

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by cc-rider View Post
    That ridge is normal. As you go up in rpm at low loads (low MAP) your engine very efficiently moves some air. What would be helpful is for you to post a pic of your VE table for us to see. That AFR error chart in of itself is a bit difficult for anyone to draw conclusions from without seeing the VE chart that it will get multiplied against.
    Ve Table2.JPG

VE Table.JPG

Tuner in Training
    That is my current Ve Table. I just made a bunch more tweaks with to it to the surround cells however I am unsure what to do with the ridge.

When logging I can start at 2k rpms and just glide up to the 2600 rpms then it stumbles and then smooths out again after 2800.

Advanced Tuner
    Still a bit hard to see on what you have going on there. But if your VE takes a big dip right where you are having the stumble...then I would guess it's a lean stumble, and you should get rid of that dip in your VE and see if it improves. It never hurts to increase your VE and give it a brief run. You'll just go rich. On the other hand, be more careful decreasing it and going out and beating on it. That leads to lean tendencies in certain areas.

Good luck. Fill in that dip in your graph and see what happens.
    2010 Camaro LS3
    Kenne Bell 2.8 Supercharger
    BTR stage 3 PDS Torque Cam
    Frankenstein M311 heads
    9:1 forged rotating assembly
    Speed Engineering Headers
    ID1000 Injectors
    Twin return fuel fuel pump
    PLX Wideband
    HP Tuners

Advanced Tuner
    I know this is a pretty old thread, but I'm having the EXACT same issue on my 2014 CTS-V. I have that same hump in mine too. I'm currently running ID850s for injectors. What injectors are you running 06z??

same hump in my zl1 theres only so much you can do. Its common place especially with over driven superchargers with headers as flow rate becomes greatly increased their and because the predicted coefficients are designed to work withing stock ranges you get the lean 2400-2600 rpm on a lsa. You can mess with predicted coefficients but its a darn nightmare. Ive Done it and rebuilt an entire VVE and had to take 50 percent of scaling out. NOT WORTH IT. After you get it inline if your pe is off target just set your maf below your pe off target. Basically if at 2400 rpm you cant get a smooth ve without messing up rest of fueling just dial your maf to 2400 after your done. LSA on cts-v uses more maf than zl1 does. Just a suggestion though do not set your maf at 600rpm you will have really dumb tip in lean problems. Im glad your tunning VVE first its the right way to do it.

Advanced Tuner
    Have any of you guys tried changing the boundaries away from the stock 2500 rpm setpoint?

I have and find if you do it doesnt help much and that it only causes you to tune your VVE all over. I tried setting everything from every 800 rpm to every 1000 building full VVE If you have a large increase on your vve you can only increase it so much that eventually you PE will overshoot and recover. On e67 and e38 it just happens. Just set your rpm for maf below the overshoot mine is 2400 cause the hump in VVE as it will allow maf to have much larger control on WOT AFR. I still fully build my VVE to last transition point of 3250 which on VVE cuts it at 3400 for some stupid reason. After that unless you do a full sd tune its not worth it. Not to mention cts-v zl1 and zr1 do not function too well without maf. The maf can read very high. for whatever reason on e67 it can do a cusotom 2 bar but its backwards as the factory has a 3 bar but the sd maf blend above a certain flow point doesnt calculate well.
    What i mean by Power Enrichment overshoot is it goes to 10.5 then jumps right back to 11.8 where you originally designated it. The opposite of lean tip in. Maf calculations at higher flow rate are more stable at low flow rates not predictable and also no one every takes into accound the intake valve temperature multiplier chart. Thats why Maf only tunes stink. you have 2 different rpm with different throttle openings but due to the effects of transient fuel at same maf flow require different amount of fuel. i can say if you change it to even numbers like your VVE like 2600 and 3200 it will help a bit but i wouldnt recommend changing much more than that. It helps with eliminating funky blended calculations