Thread: Bought a car with a locked VCM, need help choosing replacement VCM

Potential Tuner

Bought a car with a locked VCM, need help choosing replacement VCM

I bought an 87 Fiero with a 2001 3800 Supercharged (L67). All electronics including the VCM are from a 2001 Grand Prix GTP.

Unfortunately, the VCM is locked by ZZP. After some reading here, it looks like the only way to use VCM Editor is to have them unlock it, and they aren't going to. I guess that means I need to buy a used VCM. I'm wondering if there is any particular year/model that will work better than another for my purposes. I'll need to delete quite a few trouble codes and disable VATS somehow to run it in a Fiero.

I'd find a 99-00 GTP computer if you can. They are better in my eyes because VAT's shouldn't be an issue once disabled and they do not have the 01+ cat diag tests that you can't disable with HPT.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner
    You can try to start PCM in self test mode (if it's supported) and bypass seed/key checking. You will need wiring diagrams for your powertrain.
    0. remove fuel pump relay
    1. disconnect trans connector and short TFT sensor pins.
    2. disconnect MAP sensor and short sensor signal to sensor ground.
    3. disconnect TPS sensor and short sensor signal to sensor reference voltage (5V).

It works with NS 96-99 PCM, but I can't guarantee it will work on your PCM.