Thread: Wanting to learn how to tune! Where to start?

Potential Tuner

Wanting to learn how to tune! Where to start?

Hey guys I was looking to learn how to tune the copperhead PCM.
    I have never tuned a car before and don't really know where to start.
    Is there a basic guide anywhere? I was also looking at the Coyote cookbook that is available.

Cookbook, Greg banish, Dan maslic, take a class, etc.

All I ever did was read hptuners forum and sort of teach myself. There's no formal education for tuning that I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    Cookbook, Greg banish, Dan maslic, take a class, etc.

All I ever did was read hptuners forum and sort of teach myself. There's no formal education for tuning that I know of.
    There is some formal education in upper level Mechanical Engineering / Electrical Engineering at some schools.
    An example of a textbook for such would be Modeling and Control of Engines and Drivelines.

Calibration is at its root a very scientific and engineering oriented field, so there's all manner of upper level research and formal education.

Advanced Tuner
    Before you start editing anything; i would HIGHLY suggest you get familiar with how to data log a car in a way that you can manipulate it how you want and see what you need.

to me: 80% of tuning is logging and interpreting what you see on the log. Adjusting the tune is quite easy after that.

HPT does a great job of describing all the fields you can edit in the tune file; so if you know what youre looking at you can most likely easily find what you need to edit.

This is kinda how i learned copperhead. Id had a base knowledge of how "tunes" and computers work in a few different platforms and just applied to this car.

Another tip is to look at the repository. Find a file that describes some mods (longtubes, timing, intake adjustment, etc) and compare how that file accomplishes its intended goal to your stock file. Once you see where other people are editing to get a desired result you can narrow down where you need to look.

There are basic guides and a LOT of info in this forum that will help a beginner; but if you are like me you learn by doing. guess check evaluate and try again till the car does what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlinke View Post
    Before you start editing anything; i would HIGHLY suggest you get familiar with how to data log a car in a way that you can manipulate it how you want and see what you need.

to me: 80% of tuning is logging and interpreting what you see on the log. Adjusting the tune is quite easy after that.

HPT does a great job of describing all the fields you can edit in the tune file; so if you know what youre looking at you can most likely easily find what you need to edit.

This is kinda how i learned copperhead. Id had a base knowledge of how "tunes" and computers work in a few different platforms and just applied to this car.

Another tip is to look at the repository. Find a file that describes some mods (longtubes, timing, intake adjustment, etc) and compare how that file accomplishes its intended goal to your stock file. Once you see where other people are editing to get a desired result you can narrow down where you need to look.

There are basic guides and a LOT of info in this forum that will help a beginner; but if you are like me you learn by doing. guess check evaluate and try again till the car does what you want.
    +1 Start with datalogging! Also, here is a thread that I have added to over time with basic tuning info.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ighlight=newby

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDMB View Post
    +1 Start with datalogging! Also, here is a thread that I have added to over time with basic tuning info.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ighlight=newby
    Awesome, I've just bookmarked that thread. You rock!!

Potential Tuner

Depends... Are you familiar with basic EFI tuning like for example data-logging, setting a/f, timing, etc?
    I've started with the Accel software before I got to hptuners. Cookbook is the best to start though.

Advanced Tuner
    http://www.efidynotuning.com

Start at the top and work your way down
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning
    http://www.efidynotuning.com/

Tuner in Training
    I ordered the new tuning school book. Will let you know how it is. Plan on getting the cookbook also

Tuner in Training
    Just attended The Tuning School in Florida. It was well worth the two days spent! If you are serious about your tuning future, and want to know the deeper details of HPTuners, you need to go. You will also develop lifelong connections and networking, not to mention valuable experience tuning on the dyno. I believe they also have books and videos to purchase on their site.
    Jeremy Grist
    Spring Hill, FL
    "Covfefe Mustang"
    1992 Mustang GT, F150 Coyote swapped, GForce G101a, 4.56 gear
    2019 Mustang GT, PP1, Premium, A10, HPTuners

Advanced Tuner
    The only thing I really want help on is tuning out torque errors, surging, etc. and some uncovering on how to get the most out of the 6r80. Do they cover any of that?
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results

Tuner in Training
    In the new book, nothing on automatic transmission. Very minimal on torque error. Little bit on throttle body tuning. I was surprised they didn't even mention intake manifold changes.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt22 View Post
    The only thing I really want help on is tuning out torque errors, surging, etc. and some uncovering on how to get the most out of the 6r80. Do they cover any of that?
    It was basically a beginners class, although there are ample opportunities to ask questions during the class. They have more programs in the works to offer students.
    Jeremy Grist
    Spring Hill, FL
    "Covfefe Mustang"
    1992 Mustang GT, F150 Coyote swapped, GForce G101a, 4.56 gear
    2019 Mustang GT, PP1, Premium, A10, HPTuners

Tuner in Training
    I'm hoping they expand on the coyote platform more. I did email them asking if 6r80/10r80 book was in the works

Potential Tuner
    http://www.tuning101.com

Kyle has lots of videos.
    Maybe start with this one:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...oEO01pSgOUMOwa

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielerevia View Post
    I ordered the new tuning school book. Will let you know how it is. Plan on getting the cookbook also
    If you want to be a ”tooner” those manuals won't teach you anymore than some of the bad advice on this forum and others like it.

If you want to understand how we really do it spend some time studying how engines work chemically and read anything that Greg Banish publishes. When I came into the OEM calibration world I was shocked at how much bullshit those places were actually selling. Conversely, Greg is actually giving people an inside look at how we do it. Even then, be ready to spend money on things that cost a lot and don't make your car faster by themselves, i.e. test equipment and dyno time.
    Last edited by HextallS550; 08-13-2020 at 12:25 PM.
    Engine Development - Roush/Ford ELD

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the advice. I've watched couple of greg banish old videos and will check out his books. I don't plan on doing this for a living, just for my personal car. Being a Automotive tech for living, don't want get involved in doing for customers.