Thread: 2006 Roush F150 Newbie Tuner

Potential Tuner

2006 Roush F150 Newbie Tuner

Hello everyone,
    My name is Barry and I am new to the tuning world. Just wanted to introduce myself while I am waiting on my VCM suite to arrive. I have a 2006 Roush f150 (the white with blue stripes one). It is the non-intercooled version at the moment, but I have recently picked up an intercooler and extra RoushCharger (with the smaller pulley) to add to her. I have been stock piling parts getting ready for the upgrade. Hopefully it will not be to bad since everything else has been done by Roush already. When I do get everything collected I plan to upgrade to 47lbs injectors and headers. I just had dual exhaust added but it was with a Magnaflow DI/DO (let the shop talk me into it). But I do not really like it. I am wondering if it is savaging properly with the DI/DO (internal x pipe). I am curious if going with 2 single mufflers and putting an x pipe in closer to the manifolds would make much difference.

I figure I will not be in a rush to do the upgrades until I learn more about tuning. Maybe it will be a little more forgiving if I am not pushing much more boost. Or maybe it does not matter. I am only pushing about 6lbs of boost at the moment. I hope that I will be able to read the Roush tune once I get my scanner in to give me a good starting point. I have also purchased a Zeitronix ZT-2 wideband to help aid in tuning. It only came with 1 O2 sensor. Will it matter if I only use 1 for the tuning? From what I understand I will want to put this in place of one of the rear O2's. Any advice on the setup of the wideband?

One thing I REALLY want to fix is the harsh shift between 1 and 2. Normal daily driving and it feels like the transmission is going to rip out of the truck. WAY to much line pressure I believe.

Well I hope to learn a lot. I figure if I can tweak a few things at a time (from the Roush tune) it will help my learning curve. I have purchase Don's book The ultimate Ford EFI tuning guide. I have been reading it for a couple of weeks now to lay some ground work. I have also been skimming the boards here to gather as much info as I can. I would be curious if anyone has tuned a Roush f150 similar to mine. Also any advice to get started the right way would definitely be welcomed.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to this new world.
    -B

Tuner in Training
    post your tune!