Thread: innovate only shows GAS afr

innovate only shows GAS afr

When logging my WB shows up gas AFR in HPT in the channels and histogram. How do I change it to show lambda or AFR for e85 in vcm scanner?

You need to change your wideband input to be lambda. Then you can scale it to anything you like.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Ok. im still confused. Im very computer literate but this boggles my mind...

looks like you cant do math in math so what I was thinking wont work?

How do I get this to work without a transform math function in math for AFR error?

I can get the WB to read AFR like this

but I cant get it to do math like this

Is there another post or thread that will help me?

Also... I guess I wanted to know if there was a way to add the e85 AFR transform/scale to all the drop downs? Seems like that would just be in the software since so many people are running it.
    Ethanol is closest but 9.760:1 would be better if possible (I changed my mind about tuning in lambda - my brain hurts from that)

Right click it and change the units. Looks like you're scaling lambda into an AFR.

Quote Originally Posted by MP_ View Post
    Ok. im still confused. Im very computer literate but this boggles my mind...

looks like you cant do math in math so what I was thinking wont work?

How do I get this to work without a transform math function in math for AFR error?

I can get the WB to read AFR like this

but I cant get it to do math like this

Is there another post or thread that will help me?

Also... I guess I wanted to know if there was a way to add the e85 AFR transform/scale to all the drop downs? Seems like that would just be in the software since so many people are running it.
    Ethanol is closest but 9.760:1 would be better if possible (I changed my mind about tuning in lambda - my brain hurts from that)
    I was just messing around and didn't have any trouble using external inputs in math functions. I just took my wideband reading and doubled it, just to see if it would work.. and it worked fine.

What are you wanting to do exactly?

You can't edit the stoich ratios in the drop down box you mentioned. I do wish E85 were in the list, though I know they had to draw the line somewhere and not put every combination of fuel that is out there..
    Last edited by schpenxel; 04-18-2016 at 09:38 PM.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Im just trying to get the afr error histogram to work with e85 AFR. I dont want to tune in gas AFR and thats what shows up when I select any innovate device unless I put a transform on it.

so I need to go WB out 5v > hpt > afr for e85 and calculate the error % from commanded afr in tune.

I must be making this more complicated than it needs to be..
    Last edited by MP_; 04-18-2016 at 10:17 PM.

Im not the first person to do this right ?

and the E85 scale in the drop down would be killer. Its pretty dang popular. IMHO it should be in the list. Its just a ratio to calculate.

I'll post the formula tomorrow to do this. You can basically take the afr error formula and multiply the WB afr parameter by 0.667 to make it equivalent to an e85 scale and that will work. You are the second person I've helped that needed to do this.

Lambda obviously makes this a non issue and is my preference for sure..

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

That would be great.. Thank you .

If you're already using lambda, then converting it to an AFR will only be a step backwards. Keep it in lambda and use that instead would be idea.

I agree.. I would just set everything up as lambda then you can use the "EQ Ratio Error" math parameter that is included in V3 to see error and you're done.

Then if you wanted to see an E85 based AFR reading then you could make a math parameter that is wideband reading (in lambda) * 9.76 then use that as needed

The other way I've done it, which is really a hack around that I don't really recommend, has been to make a new "AFR Error" math parameter that changes the AFR WB readings to the same stoich value as the computer is using for E85. I'm assuming you're using 9.8 and the WB AFR is based on 14.7. The "factor" needed to convert them is 9.8/14.7 = 0.66

It would look something like this:
    100 * (([50120]*0.66 - [50121]) / ([50121]*0.66)

If 50120 doesn't work you could try 40053

I don't have a log I can use to try this on, but if you'll post one of yours I can make sure this will work.

Again.. not really the ideal way to do it.

So I did both and per the advice from both ill tune in lambda..
    thanks!

Welcome to the world of lambda (equivalence ratio)... you'll never go back to AFR.

why not just program the innovate to output for e85 the nice thing about innovate units is you can program the unit itself for your fuel type

That too. And you can set it up to only use the areas you'll actually be using, giving you more resolution for those areas and not wasting it on the extreme ends that it will read but you'll never actually use

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

I did. well.. I set it to e85 and display lambda on the display.
    I took the advice and started tuning in lambda only anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MP_ View Post
    I did. well.. I set it to e85 and display lambda on the display.
    I took the advice and started tuning in lambda only anyway.
    ^^^^^^^^ we got another believer :-)

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]