Thread: Warning to Previous Diablo/CMR Flashed and Returning to Stock

Senior Tuner

Warning to Previous Diablo/CMR Flashed and Returning to Stock

So I ended up in a pretty bad jam. I, like a lot of folks here, still had my diablo handheld married to my car while tuning with HP Tuners. After HP added gear ratio support, I had no reason to continue with it. So I returned the vehicle to stock, which in the Diablo handheld also includes bits and pieces of the TCM.

My stock backup in my Diablo was with a Mopar TCM, whereas I had currently installed a stock one. In returning to stock, the Diablo basically reset my stock TCM to be a Mopar TCM, at least some of it, and the biggest one was the gear ratio setting. The Mopar TCM comes set to 3.73 gear ratio. I connected and using HP Tuners read the TCM and it still told me gear ratio was my stock 3.06. I retyped that in anyways, loaded it, did the EGSinit and went out for a test ride. Car popped incorrect gear ratio and went into limp mode. Tried twice more, HP Tuners still seeing 3.06 gears, still popping codes. I finally hooked up the Diablo handheld, set the gear gear ratio with that and everything went back to normal.

I don't have reads or logs in doing the procedures, I can only state what I saw. I recommend after returning to stock immediately go in and reset your gear ratio with the Diablo, before getting rid of it entirely. It does not marry the Diablo to the car.

Senior Tuner
    Just to add to this, between returning to stock on the Diablo and reading the gear ratio with the HP Tuners, I never started the car. My suspicion is the gear ratio gets communicated from the TCM to the PCM at a certain point and just simply physically yanking out a TCM with 3.06 gears and replacing with a 3.73 TCM doesn't register to where the HP Tuners is reading, so it still knew 3.06 gears when I read it. That make sense?

I can unlock the diablo handhelds over the phone so no one ends up with the same issue.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Moparking View Post
    I can unlock the diablo handhelds over the phone so no one ends up with the same issue.
    Good to know, but my main point is I do believe this same issue will happen with just swapping out your TCM for one with a different gear ratio. I haven't tried it but the issue should reoccur. Now that HP Tuners is supporting TCM tuning, I think a lot of folks will be swapping out their expensive "tuned" TCMs for their stockers and in doing so will end up where I was, unable to change the gear ratio or detect that the current TCM has a different gear ratio. My "return to stock" procedure was identical in practice to just unplugging and plugging in a different TCM.

Senior Tuner
    I PM'd you Moparking, looking for some help.

Potential Tuner
    I had/have the Diablo also in my 2005 Chrysler 300C 5.7L and, before I swap over to HP I have a couple of questions:
    I have been waiting to the trans tuning options and now that V3 has them I want to swap over to HP.

I downloaded the "demo" version but still don't really see any transmission shift point, line pressure etc. settings. Under the trans tab it simply shows a couple of different types of transmissions to enable/disable, but no adjustments. I am missing something, where are the TCM settings?

Under the speedometer tab there is now only the "Limiter" tab, not also the "Gear/Tire Calc." tab like there used to be but you said above the scanner can take care of that - OK

Instead of only setting the Diablo back to bone stock, is there a way to have HP also read the 91-CAI tune that's in there now?

Thanks

Senior Tuner
    Demo version doesn't have it, you cant see it through that.

Potential Tuner
    Hey that's great news. Is there a way I could have a look at what is tuneable in the TCM before I buy in? (screenshot or list or something?) I've been waiting and want this to work out. Thanks again.

Not sure it belongs here but we had a car in this week we installed a camshaft. He had with a Diablo trinity. I had wrote a tune in diablo for this specific annoying camshaft by transferring info from a data file that we have. After I loaded the tune in the car. I read it with Hp to dial it in more quickly. After completing the read, It then stated that it was locked from HP. Hmmm I thought. I then just threw in the 93 octane tune and read it with HP and it was missing trans files. Not sure why this would occur. Have done this with previous version of HP. So I am not sure what might cause the issue.

Advanced Tuner
    I need a DS Predator unlocked Moparking please sir. Pm'd you

I encountered this same situation. Finding this thread helped me to solve the issue. Thanks to the OP