Thread: Help with Spark Timing

Potential Tuner

Help with Spark Timing

I received my HP Tuners a few days ago, and I've already made a lot of changes, but I'm still needing help understanding the timing. I've got a stock lq4 besides headers. I've looked through both tables very thoroughly and I believe my low octane table has been edited before because in some spots it is much higher than my high octane table, and in others it's a lot lower. From what I've read these truck always use the High Octane table anyways and I run 93 so it shouldn't be much of a big deal. I've ran a few runs and had no knocks at all so it is ok as of right now however I'm wanting to get as much power as I can out of my timing without hurting the motor at all. Now on to what I don't understand- I've read a lot of forums where people say "I keep my timing to 23*" or whatever; where are they getting that number. I see 1000 different values on this table and I guess I'm not sure which one people are talking about. Also when I see people edit it workload x rpm, and all of the tables I have are of Cylinder Airmass x rpm, and I just don't have much of a good understanding of cylinder airmass. Also people will say they only bump their timing up on WOT and I see no where to do this either. I'm just needing a little explanation and help as far as editing these tables go.
    Main Sample.hpt

The low octane table looks stock, it matches a 06 sierra file I have but the high octane table has been changed.

Your computer if that file is from yours says it's a 5.3 and you still have it setup for a 5.3 but you are running a 6.0?? You will need to change that in the tune so the computer knows, then you will need to re-tune the VE and MAF tables.

The vehicle should use the high octane table until it see's knock and then will revert to the low octane table.

When you change the timing at say WOT, you look at the cylinder airmass and rpm. Say it's .80 and 4500 rpm and the number in the cell is 19 degree's of timing, that will be the commanded timing if no other adder tables are in play that add to the total timing. The whole table slopes downward as the airmass rises and the rpm. You can add timing back in to all the cells around it if you arent seeing knock and still gaining power. Sorry if I can't explain this well through typing.

Also, with your headers installed this is your best chance to get a wideband installed because you are going to need it. The current file you posted still has the stock fueling for performance enrichment, which still calls for an AFR down into the low 11's. With a wideband you can lean that out and perhaps gain some power back. And you'll need a wideband anyway to re-tune the VE and MAF.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.