Thread: MAF/SD options for boosted TBSS

Tuner in Training

MAF/SD options for boosted TBSS

Will be installing a TVS 1900 within the next few months on my 2006 TBSS and Im wondering what are my options for either staying MAF or swapping to speed density? I have supporting mods(HPT PRO, headers, trans, 60# injectors, etc) but Im confused on how far the MAF system can go with a boosted application and if its even worth keeping it at all. My plan is to start at 6psi and eventually end up near 10psi or so. Any help is appreciated.

Advanced Tuner
    It all depends on how far your MAF resolution can read. As long as you don't max out your MAF...you can use it. I'm not sure exactly how far the TBSS maf can read. Hopefully someone here will chime in.

Of course speed density can also be used. And given enough tuning time and refinement can many times be better than MAF. But if you daily drive your car and plan to use it over a wide temperature range (summer/winter) then the MAF may be a more consistent way to set your fueling because its an actual reading of the air coming into the engine rather than a preset calculation that comes with VE/SD.
    2010 Camaro LS3
    Kenne Bell 2.8 Supercharger
    BTR stage 3 PDS Torque Cam
    Frankenstein M311 heads
    9:1 forged rotating assembly
    Speed Engineering Headers
    ID1000 Injectors
    Twin return fuel fuel pump
    PLX Wideband
    HP Tuners

Tuner in Training
    The vehicle is my daily driver and I prefer to tune via SD but I just want to make sure Im making the right decision, thus hoping for some more opinions on this.

Tuner in Training
    Anyone else have any info? Looking to find out what the max airflow is on the e40 '06 MAF?

600rwhp'ish is about it on a 2005 Corvette MAF (also E40), and I think it has the same MAF. So somewhere around there is where I'd draw the line. If you're going for more than that then I'd plan on SD. If not, then it's worth a shot.

Honestly the only way you're going to know for sure is by doing it IMO.

Max airflow is 512 g/sec and there's a frequency limit also that you have to worry about

If you're dead set on staying MAF you could always switch to card style MAF and increase the tube size as needed to keep under the frequency limit, then scale the tune to get under the g/sec limit.
    Last edited by schpenxel; 05-18-2016 at 07:31 PM.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the info. I'm not dead set on either option just trying to see what the options are so in ready for it.

Just depends where you'll end up power wise. If it's around 600 you might be fine with the stock MAF. If not--SD or card style could be made to work.

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuner in Training
    Someone told me that the E40 ECU maxes out around 67 lbs/min and anything after that the ECU will have to be scaled to read properly. The stock MAF will then be fine because of the scaling done. Looks like I can go either way and that the ECU is where the issue will arise with boost.

Have to worry about frequency limit too. The airflow limit you can scale the tune and get around. The frequency limit, not so much.

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuner in Training
    So if I choose to go SD I still am limited by the frequency still?

Sd only doesn't use the maf so frequency doesn't matter. I don't even have a maf on my car anymore.

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuner in Training
    Ok then I assume that switching to sd solves any sort of issues that come with airflow caps?

Yes though some of the reporting still maxes out at some point. Mine won't show over 512 g/sec VE airflow but fueling continues to stay steady so it's working fine. Just some kind of reporting limit.

Tuner in Training
    Change to the 07 ls7 slotted MAF sensor. Copy the MAF and temp tables from stock z06 tune. Maf tune from there

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by orripid View Post
    Change to the 07 ls7 slotted MAF sensor. Copy the MAF and temp tables from stock z06 tune. Maf tune from there
    I will look into that. Thank you.
    2006 Trailblazer SS
    Mild cam, XS Power headers, Gibson exhaust, Godfrey Stage V trans w/FTI 2800, LS1 e-fans, Trans cooler, PLX wideband

I have had issues with turbulence on the card style MAF's on E40's for whatever reason the results in surging. SD is also an option of course.

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    I have had issues with turbulence on the card style MAF's on E40's for whatever reason the results in surging. SD is also an option of course.
    Any card MAF applications benefit from adding a honey comb screen in front of it. Especially in 4" tubes. The E40 MAF patch will take care of the frequency limit, but you are still limited to 512 g/sec (500 rwhp ish) airflow limit unless you scale the tune.

Honeycomb helped, still wasn't very great though. I've heard a few others say the same with the SC kit I'm using.. so I'm blaming it on that. SD for me.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ElecTech View Post
    Any card MAF applications benefit from adding a honey comb screen in front of it. Especially in 4" tubes. The E40 MAF patch will take care of the frequency limit, but you are still limited to 512 g/sec (500 rwhp ish) airflow limit unless you scale the tune.
    What exactly happens when you exceed that limit?
    2006 Trailblazer SS
    Mild cam, XS Power headers, Gibson exhaust, Godfrey Stage V trans w/FTI 2800, LS1 e-fans, Trans cooler, PLX wideband

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    Honeycomb helped, still wasn't very great though. I've heard a few others say the same with the SC kit I'm using.. so I'm blaming it on that. SD for me.
    SD for me too. I keep trying to turn my MAF back on as well but my fueling goes all over the place. Not that it is overall bad with with the MAF...but my SD tune is just so bang on at this point that it is 100x better than the MAF can do.

If you spend enough time on the VE table, I'm convinced that it will be a more consistent tune than a MAF. But you need to do MANY runs. And in MANY different air/IAT temps...and get your IAT drift tables right. I've got mine to the point where I can run in 50-90 degree weather and my fuel is dead on. But damn did it take me a lot of logs to get there. No way a shop could ever do this...simply not enough time. This is a labor of love for your personal car.