Thread: 2001 lumina vats disable issue, please help.

2001 lumina vats disable issue, please help.

I have a 2001 lumina that I need to disable the vats on. From the factory it was set to PWM and the other option is serial. I have disable vats on other vehicles, but they were ls1 vehicles so it was much easier. I also tried following a guide on here that said switch to PWM and disable the codes. Again, mine is already on PWM so I just did away with the codes. The security light just blinks and nothing happens when you turn the key which is what my 99 suburban did when the vats took a dump. If anyone knows how to bypass the vats I would appreciate the help. Ask any questions and I will try my best to answer them all.

That's actually the guide that I used when I tried to do it. Do I need to write entire? I only did write calibration and it didn't seem to do anything at all. Also, do I keep mine on pwm or do I switch to serial? Like I said, mine was on pwm from the factory so I guess mine is backwards. Thanks for the help so far, please keep anymore ideas coming.

I tried to do a write entire, but that didnt work either. I am at a loss at this point, i dont wamt to invest much in this car since i'm not sure how it runs except the previous owner said the only issue was parasitic draw which i have corrected.

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    If PWM doesn't work, try SERIAL. I always Write Entire when disabling VATS, but if you still have trouble at the bottom of the VATS delete writeup there are instructions you can follow if it will not work. Just gather all that's requested in order to contact support. They are very busy however so as a courtesy, just tripple check EVERYTHING again with an eye for detail to make absolutely sure this isn't a mechanical or wiring issue before checking in with them. Good Luck.
    Last edited by Dr. Nopps; 05-02-2016 at 04:13 AM.

ok, thanks. I haven't had much time lately to spend on the car, so I haven't gotten to try anything else to it yet. I had to replace the ignition lock cylinder and I am currently in the process of putting the column back together. If I can get the steering wheel lock back on, then everything else should just fall into place and I can keep working on the no start issue. If anyone else has any input, then its welcomed. Thanks for all the help so far.

I have found that same problem and if my memory is correct the bcm sets a error when you change vats setting in the ecm. So to keep the bcm happy on those I leave vats along....