Thread: Am i on the right track?

Tuner in Training

Am i on the right track?

hey all,
    im completely new to tuning and have just been playing around with a BA XR6T.

the 1st thing we have changed was boost which was upped to around the 9.5psi mark, took it for a test drive and it responded very well still read rich under high boost though.
    Next we advanced the timing a little more in mid-high load but im not game to do much with timing till i can see knock sensor info.
    also we retarded the timing in decel cause we wanted the burble haha.

wastegate duty cycle had me stumped for a while and had no idea what it done. but after abit of research i believe it is like a gradual boost control so the boost doesn't spike in the low RPM range and you end up in a tree going around a bend. (correct me if i'm wrong)

but adjusting the fuel under different loads has me stumped still, i cant adjust the injectors cause at cruise/idle its running 17.5 - 18:1 and under LOAD its running around the 9.5:1. And the fuel base table is commanding the amount of lambda we want to see but we just arn't seeing it

any info pointing me in the right direction would be extremely helpful.

At cruise and idle you should be in closed loop using the stft and ltft to keep you at stoich 14.7afr. What kind of wideband are you using? Have you still got the stock narrow band o2 plugged in?

You need to be very carful with spark adjustments. I would keep it stock until you sort out your fuelling problems

You can make fueling changes by using the MAP per airmass table if required. First determine at what rpm your fuel needs adjusting. Then look at vct angle table to see were cam timing will be and then adjust those areas as required. Higher numbers lean mixtures, lower numbers add fuel. Just be aware that changing this table will change the load therefore the timing. Likewise changing the commanded afr can also change timing via spark lamba correction table.

Tuner in Training
    im using a tech edge 2j9 without the narrow band in so thats probably why its lean at cruise and idle which also makes me assume the fuel trims will be constantly adding fuel, yeah i should probably use forscan to see the fuel trims till HP updates more of the ba stuff... i might have a crack at it tomorrow.

so when changing the MAP per air mass table has to be done manually one at a time i take it? also what do these numbers acctually mean, when making little changes how much should i work on changing at a time being such large numbers?

yea my stock tune idled at about 16 without an o2 aswell, the numbers in the map per airmass table are all part of the calculation the ecu uses there is a great write up on here somewere that explains in detail. I change these by percentage, 5% at a time will make quiet a noticeable change, just start off a bit at a time and see how you go. You want to match the commanded afr to afr from your wideband. What injectors are you running its a heap richer than you would normally except with factory sd values.

Tuner in Training
    ahh righto, ill have to try find that right up for sure or is that the SD tuning write from DarrylC?
    yeah ive done a Mafless on an ls1 so im sure its the same principal just abit more indepth by the looks of it
    theyre standard injectors which i thought was abit odd especially since we are now running 9.5psi and its reading 10:1, from what ive heard i thought it would start to lean out a fair abit around that boost.... Maybe my WB needs to be recalibrated

What mods are done to the car? Generally the speed density doesnt need to be touched unless you have different camshafts or something like that. Just put your narrow band back in and clear the fuel trims and go from there. Are using stock jnjectors?

Also you may be better of using 2.24 version of the scanner for a Ba. 2.25 seems to be missing a few things.
    Last edited by VXSS; 05-02-2016 at 05:44 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Only mods to car are 2.5" cat back exhaust still have stock injectors but do plan on going 60lb but probably won't be till after he does valve springs,
    If I get a chance this arvo I'll try clearing fuel trims, tap the wide band into the exhaust further down and maybe punch out and re-tube the cat, then do a re-test and see where things are then

Advanced Tuner
    ba now has most shit for the newer scanner, not sure if all strategies but the 2 ive checked have.

Tuner in Training
    Yeh I DL'd the latest version soooo many more parameters I'm stoked

Cool I will have to update

Advanced Tuner
    I always check my LC-1 style wideband with a LM-1 sensor/gauge that I trust. I don't trust the LC-1 style.
    I also weld two extra bungs in the exhaust downpipe. I also do not trust readings from the exhaust tip.

Try not to touch the SD files. There may be other issues for being so far out. Check basics like fuel pressure/fuel pump, check if virgin tune.