Thread: Which tuning suite to get?

Potential Tuner

Which tuning suite to get?

Hey everyone,

This is my first post so be kind I would like to preface my question with I am in no way trying to piss anyone off or anything like that.
    I have my own diesel performance business and have been tuning trucks, notably dmax and cummins with EFI live for quite sometime. I am now getting requests for the 6.7 powerstroke. Naturally I would like to oblige my customers. My question is..... Is HP tuners the best way to go? I have heard some people love SCT. Me personally not so much....again PERSONALLY lol. However I am kind of limited as to what I can use to write tunes to the 6.7 strokers. What is the experience of people in here with both of these programs or is there anymore that I have missed? I'm not sure when and IF EFI will come out with support but people are screaming. I know there are several tuners out there that have already tunes these but I now own a 2014 6.7 and would kind of like my own tune.
    I have been researching for a while and been reading on the forums and to be honest I'm thinking HP tuners is the best way to go. One last question. Can the tunes you write on HP tuners be locked like EFI to prevent "theft" or tuning files. The reason I ask is ive heard of people stealing tunes and reselling them as their own, which is a big no no for me.

Anyways thankyou all that have read this and taken the time to answer.

Advanced Tuner RandomEnthusiast's Avatar
    The tunes can be locked. No dpf egr options though. But overall it's a much better program than act advantage in my personal opinion. Plus licensing fees are less.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by keffa12 View Post
    I have my own diesel performance business and have been tuning trucks, notably dmax and cummins with EFI live for quite sometime. I am now getting requests for the 6.7 powerstroke. Naturally I would like to oblige my customers. My question is..... Is HP tuners the best way to go? I have heard some people love SCT. Me personally not so much....again PERSONALLY lol. However I am kind of limited as to what I can use to write tunes to the 6.7 strokers. What is the experience of people in here with both of these programs or is there anymore that I have missed? I'm not sure when and IF EFI will come out with support but people are screaming. I know there are several tuners out there that have already tunes these but I now own a 2014 6.7 and would kind of like my own tune.
    I have been researching for a while and been reading on the forums and to be honest I'm thinking HP tuners is the best way to go. One last question. Can the tunes you write on HP tuners be locked like EFI to prevent "theft" or tuning files. The reason I ask is ive heard of people stealing tunes and reselling them as their own, which is a big no no for me.

Anyways thankyou all that have read this and taken the time to answer.
    I have some thoughts, based on some experience with tuner mentioned by you and Duramaxes and fooling a bit with HPT and Powerstrokes.

Not sure about 6.7, didn't have a chance to try. Had some experience with older, 6.0 and 6.4, PWS and smaller tunes.
    Again, I'm no expert and might have missed something...

There are enough tables, with the exception for off-road features in 6.4 - it's a pity HPT didn't open them for non-US customers. I suggested byuing Gearbox Z for my customer w 6.4 for dealing with surplus devices in intake and exhaust - don't see how to build an expedition vehicle with some extra pep and reasonable reliability with them. If that doesn't work, I should buy some sort of Chinese black box, install WinOls and turn off of greenie crap that way.
    No injection timing calc in HPT format that I'm aware of - to be honest, I don't feel comfortable changing things without one.

In general, EFI l.ve seems more "polished" or thought of - they can afford this with much shorter supported vehicles list and with some greedy crap ($400 for opening Cummins tuning - suppose I'll tinker with 5.9s using HPT).
    Don't know a thing about SCT.

Hope that helps.
    '03 Topkick C5500 LB7/A5
    '04 Silv cclb 2500HD LB7/A5
    '10 Ram ccsb 2500 6.7/A6

Advanced Tuner RandomEnthusiast's Avatar
    6.7l aren't yet supported but are in the works. SCT advantage is not my favorite. I've played with it but didn't get near the results I did from hpt. Timing calcs aren't in my opinion needed. I do everything manually.

Potential Tuner
    Is there support for tuning 6.7's coming? I run an H&S right now (non-US) but I'd prefer something different as the H&S has to stay connected which means I can't run my Torque Pro at the same time.

6.7s are supported in 3.2.

Tuner in Training
    What years 6.7 supported got to 2016?

Quote Originally Posted by energetic motorsports View Post
    What years 6.7 supported got to 2016?
    We have a 2016 that is supported.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer@HPT View Post
    6.7s are supported in 3.2.
    Thanks, I read the press release as it being just the VCMScanner support for 6.7's when I didn't see the 6.7 on the supported vehicle list.

Will it do deletes for non-US customers?
    Last edited by PlayersZ28; 06-23-2016 at 01:08 PM.