Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Controller Unlocker: x36 Exceed Number of Attempts

Advanced Tuner

Controller Unlocker: x36 Exceed Number of Attempts

i'm trying to read a 04 truck PCM on my benchtop harness and i get the error "Controller Unlocker: x36 Exceed Number of Attempts" and it won't read.

I should note, this truck was dropped off after another tuner blew the engine apart and caught the truck on fire. The PCM looks to be in perfect physical condition, but i cannot seem to read it. I opened the scanner and connected to it just fine. Any ideas? It is possible it was tuned with EFI Live before, i don't know, and it could also be tuner locked because as you can infer from the above statement, he doesn't know what he's doing and may be ashamed of his work, lol.

any ideas?

Potential Tuner
    working on car now with same scenario! did u find out anything to resolve issue?

Advanced Tuner
    No i haven't....I believe the computer was either ruined or locked with EFI Live.

It's locked. I've gotten that message on a few E38's before and they ended up being locked from a previous tuner.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Banned
    I take it you two above didn't fix the problem. I have the same problem.
    LSxpwrdZ are you 100% sure it means it's locked and can't be any other problem???

I have a strong feeling a tuner I took my car to many years ago to unlock the security crap on my PCM (engine swap) later locked it so only he has access to it (WHY???!!!!!!! ).

Tuners should NOT have the option to lock a cars computer! It's fricken pointless, annoying and ridiculous! It just causes headaches!
    If you are a mechanic/tuner why would you give a shyt if someone else plays with your tune afterwards?
    If you are a diy tuner why would you want to lock your tune for? WHO would mess with your tune?

BAN COMPUTER LOCKING

Tuner in Training
    I had the same error message when mine was new. PCM was NOT locked. It was actually a defective interface, which HP replaced under warranty. I answered Mr. Smith in his other thread before I saw this one.
    Last edited by Picklito; 11-18-2016 at 11:30 PM. Reason: reworded for clarification

Potential Tuner
    I am having the same problem after updating to VCM 3.4. I have been tuning my 2000 Trans Am for a little over a year on the same interface with no problems but ever since the update it can't read or write. My VCM Scanner is still working with no problems and I am able to Read and Write to a 2010 Camaro SS with no problem. I sent an email to support to see if there is anything they can do. I will update once I have an answer.
    Last edited by Hostetler; 11-20-2016 at 09:31 AM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Hostetler, sounds like a hardware issue, not a software version issue.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Considering what I went through to get mine replaced under warranty, it would be nice if HPTuners would respond with more than "sounds like a hardware issue."
    The frustration with this particular problem is high, and help is hard to get.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Picklito View Post
    Considering what I went through to get mine replaced under warranty, it would be nice if HPTuners would respond with more than "sounds like a hardware issue."
    The frustration with this particular problem is high, and help is hard to get.
    Exceeded eroors mean your ecm is tunerlocked, i was responding to the other poster, not you.

Tuner in Training
    Bill,
    I'm glad you responded to the other poster. It'd still be nice if there were more help from HPTuners on this problem. Additionally, mine also said exceeded errors, but it was NOT tunerlocked. It was a bad interface. The vehicle had never been tuned. The replacement interface works VERY well, and I'm really happy with it. But getting the product to work was not pleasant. So, yes, please offer as much info as possible on this problem.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Picklito View Post
    Bill,
    I'm glad you responded to the other poster. It'd still be nice if there were more help from HPTuners on this problem. Additionally, mine also said exceeded errors, but it was NOT tunerlocked. It was a bad interface. The vehicle had never been tuned. The replacement interface works VERY well, and I'm really happy with it. But getting the product to work was not pleasant. So, yes, please offer as much info as possible on this problem.
    I guess I don't understand your problem. If its an unlocker error it means the ecm is tunerlocked or corrupt(which would act in a similar manner).

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    I guess I don't understand your problem. If its an unlocker error it means the ecm is tunerlocked or corrupt(which would act in a similar manner).
    Thanks for staying in this, Bill!

What I'm saying is that our brand new interface said unlocker error on 4 different factory original GM trucks, 2003-2006. It turned out that NONE of them were actually locked... it was a bad interface box that you guys replaced under warranty. It would boot, recognize the vehicle, but fail during read. No matter what combo of fuses, batteries, boot sequence, or rabbit's feet we tried.

The message I'm trying to get out is that there seems to be several users trying desperately to begin tuning their vehicles, but they (as I) get this "controller unlocker timed out" or the "x36 error." Today, I see new posts about another user having the problem. There indeed seems to be a problem with some number of interface boxes (admittedly, in addition to the possibility of improper software installation, vehicle modifications, etc.). Once we got the replacement interface ALL FOUR VEHICLES could be fully read. NONE of them were locked.

Now, why is that? And can't we have a more expedited way to get the boxes back to HPT to have them checked? It's water under the bridge for mine... you guys did eventually replace it and the replacement has been working flawlessly ever since. It's a really nice product, and it's really easy to use... provided you get one that actually works. Thanks again for helping.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Your situation was obviously not the norm.

Tuner in Training
    Bill,
    I am trying very hard to be patient and helpful. For the sake of the others who are obviously not having this obvious problem, what does it obviously mean? And what is the obvious solution?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smith View Post
    I take it you two above didn't fix the problem. I have the same problem.
    LSxpwrdZ are you 100% sure it means it's locked and can't be any other problem???

I have a strong feeling a tuner I took my car to many years ago to unlock the security crap on my PCM (engine swap) later locked it so only he has access to it (WHY???!!!!!!! ).

Tuners should NOT have the option to lock a cars computer! It's fricken pointless, annoying and ridiculous! It just causes headaches!
    If you are a mechanic/tuner why would you give a shyt if someone else plays with your tune afterwards?
    If you are a diy tuner why would you want to lock your tune for? WHO would mess with your tune?

BAN COMPUTER LOCKING
    If all parameters are met to accurately read the ECM/PCM then yes it means it's locked or corrupt. I see this error sometimes if battery voltage is low or with an intermittent connection but on my bench harness with regulated power to the ECM/PCM and solid connections this error means it's locked.
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    If all parameters are met to accurately read the ECM/PCM then yes it means it's locked or corrupt. I see this error sometimes if battery voltage is low or with an intermittent connection but on my bench harness with regulated power to the ECM/PCM and solid connections this error means it's locked.
    Oh FFS, just when I removed my PCM you tell me this, after all this time!!!!!! Lol, unreal..
    So how "low" is low voltage?
    I have a bit of a low voltage issue. I think I have dirty/old/crappy/rusty ignition contacts and/or undersized wiring to my ignition. My volts drop a bit too much for my liking when I flick the ignition on.

......Wait... I keep forgetting/remembering... my PCM is locked, period.
    All good. Thank you.

Damn I hope I don't get more Error codes now with the unlocked replacement PCM because of my low-ish volts.
    Of course I will..

Can I "Read Vehicle" with the engine running???

No.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer@HPT View Post
    No.
    Thanks.
    It would've been really good if we could.. or if it was possible. Paranoid of my volts dropping below whatever level while "reading" and causing problems..

Oh FFS, just when I removed my PCM you tell me this, after all this time!!!!!! Lol, unreal..
    So how "low" is low voltage?
    I have a bit of a low voltage issue. I think I have dirty/old/crappy/rusty ignition contacts and/or undersized wiring to my ignition. My volts drop a bit too much for my liking when I flick the ignition on.

......Wait... I keep forgetting/remembering... my PCM is locked, period.
    All good. Thank you.

Damn I hope I don't get more Error codes now with the unlocked replacement PCM because of my low-ish volts.
    Of course I will..

Sounds like you got it figured out.
    ShorTuning