Thread: Video goes blank when I start to use the Trim Setting

Potential Tuner

Video goes blank when I start to use the Trim Setting

I loaded a video into RaceRender, let it play to the point that I wanted to trim the start and as soon as I clicked on trim the video went black. I have restarted my PC, downloaded the latest RaceRender update to no avail. Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong. This is a picture showing what happens after I click on trim. The Start and End Screens are blank and if I try to set the start and end the main screen turns blank as well.
    Problem.jpg

Problem1.jpg

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 05-03-2016 at 06:57 AM.

Most likely, it has something to do with the video format being used. The usual catch-all solution is to re-encode the video into another format (a .MP4 file with the MPEG-4 or H.264 codec should work well), or sometimes just using a different encoder can help.

If it was an AVI file, sometimes weird things happen with the Microsoft VFW system after you try to seek beyond a certain point in the file (usually 1GB or 2GB), which the Trim tool could cause to happen (if the file is that large). Basically, AVI was designed 20+ years ago and didn't support such large file sizes or many modern codecs, so the industry started using unofficial modifications and extensions, which are inherently problematic. A possible workaround is to install QuickTime 7 Player for Windows, and then use the 32-bit version of RaceRender, which can utilize the QT decoders.