Thread: Hellcat Nitrous Pulling Timing

Hellcat Nitrous Pulling Timing

How is everyone pulling timing in Nitrous Hellcats? What is the safest way to pull timing using the factory ECM? IAT timing? Just looking to keep a hundred shot safe when its not in my control. In the GM side of calibrating I would use a timing retard controller to pull timing only when the Nitrous is turned on. Old school, I would wire an input for the ecm to see and pull timing. Pulling all the time kills power for the 99% of the time that you wont be spraying and I hate the two tune handheld situation. Someone always forgets what they have in the ecm and sprays without thinking.

Bad383TA

Advanced Tuner
    Wet or Dry shot?

Mark. I only run wet systems at my facility. I have been keeping an eye on the STFT to monitor an excessive rich or lean situation from the nitrous. I currently am only receiving another 84rwhp from a 100 shot. I have pulled timing with the WOT table but still get excessive retard on the hit. I am using a controller and ramping from 20-100% from 3200-4000. After 4K I have no retard and almost full timing. Just at 20% hit at 3200 I will have retard in the 4-9 range. If i remove timing I still have this retard and if I add timing the power goes up.

Bad383TA

Tuner in Training
    The one I'm working out puts roughly the same whp as yours and with the 100hp shot it adds the same 84whp. We're hitting at the same spots as yours and it does the same, removes timing even with race gas. At first I was breaking my head trying to fix this, but after many, many tries and thinking about it for a while, we decided not too care much about it since it is at 3200-3400 rpms and this particular car sees that only once for a split second when running it at the track. As you may have guessed, when running from first gear that range goes really quick and the knock is minimum, you may see -1 for just a split second then it goes away.

Keep in mind that dyno testing in 4-6 gear will be longer on that range, giving the engine the opportunity to knock.

This is my personal experience on that matter.

Advanced Tuner
    Once car is dialed in perfectly without nitrous. Then you should have a idea of the max airflow on the spark tables that you hit without the nitrous. So before you even start the nitrous pulls, you can start by removing roughly 2* degrees from the entire table above your previous max airflow. And then just tune the nitrous system.

Tuner in Training
    I was thinking about adding a 75 shot to a stock hellcat, how has yours
    worked out so far?

Did you ever fix this issue?

Tuner
    I have read if you don't add to the Max Torque at the flywheel it will pull timing because theres obviously more torque than whats on the table..

Senior Tuner
    Torque source would show that ^^^^

Tuner
    Which is why your senior and I'm newbie