Thread: Race Render gearing

Potential Tuner

Race Render gearing

Any chance a feature could be added where we could set the gear ratios so that the gear could be calculated rather than estimated? The off-by-1 fix usually works but still gets out of sync some times.

Potential Tuner
    +1
    Alternatively, if there were several fields in enhanced objects (available in scripts via DataValue([FIELD_NUMBER])), one could make a script displaying the correct gear from engine speed (1st field) and vehicle speed (2nd field)...
    But for now, there's only one field, so to display the correct gear, I had to make an excel script adding a "Gear" channel in my CSVs

I am hoping to do something with this in a future update, although for best results you'd need to supply gear ratios, final drive ratio, and drive tire size... So, I'd want to take the time to build some additional helpers to make this simpler and easier for people...

In the upcoming RaceRender version 3.4 update, I expect to expand the capability of our Enhanced Display Object scripting a bit, which means that nc45's idea may very well become a possibility with that, although that's probably still not an ideal solution for most users.

Potential Tuner
    Hmm. Would it be possible/easier to take a particular session and identify shift points and gear selection on either side and have the s/w extrapolate from that?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Weston@HPTuners View Post
    I am hoping to do something with this in a future update, although for best results you'd need to supply gear ratios, final drive ratio, and drive tire size... So, I'd want to take the time to build some additional helpers to make this simpler and easier for people...

In the upcoming RaceRender version 3.4 update, I expect to expand the capability of our Enhanced Display Object scripting a bit, which means that nc45's idea may very well become a possibility with that, although that's probably still not an ideal solution for most users.
    I get what you are saying, but in the meantime, I am already spending a ton of time making videos, and I wouldn't mind having the ability to enter in my tranny gear ratios and differential ratios, and I would likely only have to do it once, this would theoretically make the gear selection dead accurate, so I really encourage being given this option.

Banned
    For info. Real Dash lets you enter the gear ratios, final drive and tyre dimensions and calculates the selected gear using that data, RPM and speed. It works really well too.

The ability to calculate gear is there, but I appreciate it will take some time.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    For info. Real Dash lets you enter the gear ratios, final drive and tyre dimensions and calculates the selected gear using that data, RPM and speed. It works really well too.

The ability to calculate gear is there, but I appreciate it will take some time.
    So is that completely different software?