Thread: Tap Shift (addition to 6L90)

Senior Tuner

Tap Shift (addition to 6L90)

Customer is installing a floor shifter in this build and will have the "Tap Shift" on the side of it. The TCM needs programming to an E38/T43. PCM and TCM is from a 2013 Flex Fuel 4.8L Chev PU.
    Will I need to replace the TCM with an E38 or can the TCM be flashed with the required file to make it an E38/T43? If anyone has a link to any of this, Id be much obliged for the help here.
    Last edited by MMGT1; 05-09-2016 at 07:32 AM.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Advanced Tuner RandomEnthusiast's Avatar
    Can't you use tow/haul switch just redone?

Advanced Tuner
    Your post was originally a little bit confusing - probably why you haven't received many responses. In 2014 the light duty trucks moved to the Gen 5 DI engines, and the HD trucks didn't use the 4.8L. A 2014 4.8L engine would likely be from a full-size van, which used an E38 ECM.

I see that you have edited your post to now show a 2013 4.8L engine, which was still used in light duty pickups, but was mated with a 4L65 transmission - no OEM Tap Shift option.

If you have a 2013 4.8L engine and 6L90 transmission combination, then it is from a full-size van.

Tap Shift is an option with a 6L80 or 6L90 transmission, which is controlled by a T43 TCM. It would need to be programmed with a Corvette calibration to activate Tap Shift. You would then need to buy (or build) a suitable Tap Shift switch, and add a wire to the T43 TCM connector.

Senior Tuner
    Thanks Jon, and yes... confused myself, sorry it spilled over onto the thread...lol I have not been able to get a file from the truck yet and the info I have is from the mechanic. The Corvette file, I would load the entire file onto the PCM and modify it to suit the 4.8? Can the file I have licensed for a 2013 Camaro with the T43 be used?
    Tap Shift will come from a floor shifter with Tap on the side yes. Its a Speartech 6L floor shifter.
    Last edited by MMGT1; 05-09-2016 at 08:18 AM.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Senior Tuner
    Ok I think I got this figured out, Jon.. thank you. Opening the file for the Camaro I have and looking at the write page I see the option to not write the PCM and only write the TCM. I think this is what I need right here
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Advanced Tuner
    You can used the 2013 E38 that is already programmed for the 4.8L engine - no need to reprogram that - as long as you are going to use the matching accelerator pedal. Regarding the T43 TCM programming - for Tap Shift these are typically programmed with a Corvette calibration. You could try using your Camaro T43 calibration, and altering some of the parameters using HPT. Corvette Tap Shift was hard-wired to the TCM. Camaro Tap Shift went through the BCM, and then a message was sent from the BCM to the TCM, to shift.

Senior Tuner
    You've been great here Jon, we really appriciate the help on this.
    2000 Trans Am WS6