Thread: Knock.. knock!!! spark retards

Tuner in Training

Knock.. knock!!! spark retards

Hello guys,

I am trying to tune a 6.4 Hemi Chrysler with bolt ons
    The problem is that I am having spark retards for every ST Knock (1ST = 1 degree spark retards)

What is the safest way to eliminate the affect of ST on my spark??

I was trying to reduce my WOT spark base table, but in fact I am reducing my performance as well.

Thank you,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by A.H.Y; 05-10-2016 at 06:43 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Y View Post
    Hello guys,

I am trying to tune a 6.4 Hemi Chrysler with bolt ons
    The problem is that I am having spark retards for every ST Knock (1ST = 1 degree spark retards)

What is the safest way to eliminate the affect of ST on my spark??

I was trying to reduce my WOT spark base table, but in fact I am reducing my performance as well.

Thank you,
    That little of knock retard. You should be able to clean that up with fueling.

I don't see what you are commanding, but you can put a wideband on it. And check afr vs commanded.

You can even just throw a little bit more fuel at it, like it is just to see if that takes care of it or not.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark@TuckerPerformance View Post
    That little of knock retard. You should be able to clean that up with fueling.

I don't see what you are commanding, but you can put a wideband on it. And check afr vs commanded.

You can even just throw a little bit more fuel at it, like it is just to see if that takes care of it or not.
    Thanx Mark for the reply,

Sorry, I attached the wrong log above, here is what I want to show in the attachments below

As you see, my afr is going under 11.4 in some points, however st knocks still there
    I tried to reduce my WOT spark to clean up those knocks, but I end up with almost stock performans tune.
    So far I am still not pleased with how my tune works, I tried everything. And finally I am thinking if somehow I could safely get red of the effect of ST knocks that killing my spark (even if they are occurring), since they are ST not LT knocks.

Any ideas?

I am thinking of going to:
    Engin>> spark>retard> short term knock
    and set all the max retard table to 1
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by A.H.Y; 05-11-2016 at 07:04 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Is .5* of knock all that ever pulls?
    11.5 afr is plenty rich.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark@TuckerPerformance View Post
    Is .5* of knock all that ever pulls?
    11.5 afr is plenty rich.
    I was having up to 3* ST knock that pulled 3* of my timing, then I started to take off some timing to clean this up
    Finally, I end up with this situation and I am feeling that there is something wrong, specially when I there is not so much power gaining through the whole process

Note: I notice 0.5-1 ST knock pull 1* of timing, is that normal? shouldn't be the LT knock that pull the timing?

Senior Tuner
    I have always been of the sense that the 6.4L factory tune is pretty aggressive to begin with and doesn't leave much HP on the table. I am not so surprised you need to run near stock spark to eliminate ST knock. Given it is not a boosted setup but just a bolt on factory engine, I would say you should just live with the .5 to 1 degree of ST knock. If it were boosted I would say absolutely not, needs zero knock. Attaching your actual tune and log would be worlds more helpful to us trying to help you, screen shots don't do much.

Just for giggles A.H.Y. does it have a catch can on it? They still puddle oil in intake manifolds and cause knock. I have also seen knock when they are too rich also. 12.2 to 12.4 seems to work well and as always its what the engine likes

If the KR is repeating in the same cells, is going to the cells in the spark table and reducing those cells by that amount a good practice? And if it leaves pits and valleys would smoothing be good?
    2013 Dodge Charger R/T Plus, Stock 5.7L, Edelbrock E-Force Stage 1, 3.25" Pulley, 450-HP 459-TQ.
    Corsa Sport CatBack, 3.06:1 Wavetrac, Dual Fans, 1-7/16 Radiator, Mopar Oil Cooler
    2005 Radix'd Silverado L33 5.3 ECSB Z71 @ 387-HP 395-TQ