Thread: 2005 ram hemi

Tuner in Training

2005 ram hemi

Recently installed 392 hemi, comp cam 260 with 6.1 injectors. Ran basic tune adjusted transmission, idle, timing. Truck runs great. I havent done any injector tjning at all. Fuel trim data is in range and no codes. Im wondering if i should leave well enough alone or of there is any benefit in adjusting injectors? I have years of wxperience tuning Ford with CMR and GM and ford with some hp tuners. Never tuned dodge prior to this and i have no 6.1 injector data to use for my tune so im not sure i should mess with this at all. From my understanding after reading the forum here it is nothing like tuning the Fords and GM's i used to tune in my former shop. Also want to mention i am quite rusty at this. Advice?

Advanced Tuner
    If you know what injectors they are and what vehicle they are from you could just get the injector data from a file running those injectors.

Should be a file in the repository, and if not just ask for the file you need.

Tuner in Training
    I found one in the repository but it says i am not licensed to open it up. Think paying $100 to get the injector info seems a bit steep to me.

Advanced Tuner
    Don't license it, just hit No Thanks.
    License Option.png
    It will open the tune file after you hit no thanks.

Tuner in Training
    I got it thanks. Migraine is thunping. Yeah that actually woke the truck up significantly. Night and day driveability and feels like 40-50 horsepower seat of pants. Have a little idle quirk now but j can deal with that after my head mellows down. Thanks again works great.

Advanced Tuner
    Awesome to hear.

Tuner in Training

Injector and VE

Mark or anyone available to answer,
    Now that I have all my injector tables set correctly for 6.1 injectors I am looking at the VE tables and wondering if I should go ahead and start a baseline VE table off a 6.4 since in fact that is my engine size. I am unable to determine if there is any difference between the 6.1 and 6.4 injectors in terms of actual injector itself (yellow band). Seems if I recalled they were the same when I purchased last fall for OEM but perhaps I am incorrect, again I am very new to Dodge performance wise although I've owned this truck since new.
    The 6.4 VE table has slightly lower values which would lean the truck so my concern would be if injectors are different that probably wouldn't be the direction I want to head. Currently I have 5.7 VE tables. My fuel trims are rich 17% and I have yet to connect my wideband so I am going strictly on data right now. Naturally aspirated I'm ok with that until I can crawl under and weld a bung in the exhaust. It seems a simple cut and paste should get me close. Should I use 6.1 or 6.4 VE table? It seems I should go for engine size and not necessarily injector size. This is something I didn't have to address using Diablo software over the years. Seems more like my megasquirt setup. Just trying to get my baseline close until I can then datalog precisely with my wideband and address each point across the table. Anything to reduce time spent is always a plus within a logical reasonable approach. Thanks for your input I appreciate it.

Tuner in Training
    If you or someone could indeed confirm whether the 6.1 and 6.4 use the same injectors that would be great. If they do I will have to redo my Injector tables here in order to coincide with VE and proper engine size. I just googled and came up with the same yellow band OEM injectors I have installed in the truck but would like further confirmation. Both engines use different PW vs Fuel mass, offsets, startup, etc... Something I guess I hadn't seen before. two different configurations for same injectors.

Tuner in Training
    looks like they both have yellow bands. I'm going to have top grab the part number off mine and run them by dodge and verify what I have. for now I will just stick with 6.1 parameters

Advanced Tuner
    What PCM are you running? The stock PCM for the 5.7L V8 Ram?

I would confirm injectors by part numbers. And then use the injector data from whichever the injectors are from.

Then if the 6.4 use the same injector size, which I don't think they do. Then run the 6.4 VE as a starting point. And if they are not the same, then run the 6.1 VE as a starting point.
    Either way to comes to be the VE table will have to be recalibrated for your setup.

Senior Tuner
    since your car isn't anything too too crazy, I wouldn't bother copying over the 6.4 VE table but instead make yourself a nice graph in the VCM scanner that matches your VE table, go out and log your short and long term fuel trims (by bank, so 4 channels to log) and have your graph be the predefined math for adding short and long term fuel trims together. Easy to copy and paste % into the tune and clean it up.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    since your car isn't anything too too crazy, I wouldn't bother copying over the 6.4 VE table but instead make yourself a nice graph in the VCM scanner that matches your VE table, go out and log your short and long term fuel trims (by bank, so 4 channels to log) and have your graph be the predefined math for adding short and long term fuel trims together. Easy to copy and paste % into the tune and clean it up.
    BOOM! What he said!^^^

Anyway you go about your VE table, leaving it with the stock 5.7 table as a start point, or using a 6.1 table as a start, or a 6.4 table as a start. You are going to have to recalibrate it.

So do what he mentioned above and setup a good graph of your VE table in the VCM scanner and log LTFT+STFT. It is already setup in the new 3.0 scanner parameters down under Maths.

You will just need to make sure all 4 fuel trim PIDs are in your channel. long term fuel trims bank 1, long term fuel trims bank 2, short term fuel trims bank 1, and short term fuel trims bank 2. But they are normally already added to the channel when you start with the vehicle default.