Thread: I want to buy HPT but dont know if PCM is locked!

Potential Tuner

I want to buy HPT but dont know if PCM is locked!

Hey guys I'm new here, I posted a couple of Q's on CF about this and Keith answered my questions (thanks) but the problem is that the car was tuned by "Modern Day Muscle Cars" with LS1Edit on my 408 with a 244/248 @61x/61x lift cam 11.6cr and would like to make some idle tunning with HPT but dont if the tune was locked.

No my question is; I'm going to buy HPT and IF it doesnt work can I return it? I wont use any licenses before checking it obviously. I really want it to work but cant find anybody to read my PCM to see if its locked or not!

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Darkness; 04-30-2006 at 10:19 AM.
    2000 FRC 408ci 520rwhp

Our software will make sure it can gain access to your vehicle before you are allowed to use the credits. If the software cannot gain access, it will not allow you to use any credits for licensing.
    Last edited by Chris@HPTuners; 04-30-2006 at 05:43 PM.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

deleted incorrect posts beore anyone else gets confused

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Potential Tuner
    Ok cool so I can buy with confidence then?
    2000 FRC 408ci 520rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness
    Ok cool so I can buy with confidence then?
    You can't return the product if your PCM is locked, the software just won't let you license the PCM. From there you'll need to get your PCM unlocked somehow.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Potential Tuner
    Hi! this being my first post here I have a question along these lines.. I intend to purchase HPTuners just as soon as support for the Dodge Hemis is released and I intend to tune for others as well as myself... If I run across someone's who's PCM is locked can it be flashed back to stock without first being unlocked? I for one will not be interested in looking at someone else's tune and I respect another tuner's right to privacy for their hard work, I will be locking my work as well ( at least I hope this feature will be available on the Dodge PCMs ).. it would just be a drag to get someone's core pcm that was locked by someone else and become unusable.
    Thankx for any answers...

TJ

If the PCM is locked you will not be able to unlock it. You will need the owner to get the vehicle returned to stock via whatever method was used to tune it. Then you wll be able to tune it. This applies to GM only right now.

EC
    Always Support Our Troops!

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    If the PCM is locked you will not be able to unlock it. You will need the owner to get the vehicle returned to stock via whatever method was used to tune it. Then you wll be able to tune it. This applies to GM only right now.

EC
    Thankx for the reply, looks like it will not matter for me after all..... had not really planned on tuning GM products as there are so many tuners for GM already....

TJ

Tuner in Training

What are the options?

I just ordered HPT and simultaneously a wideband O2 sensor, so that I can fix a few things with the car I just bought.

The car is an 01 Camaro SS.

It was modified two owners ago.

If I find the tune is locked, and I can't find the shop which is in another state, what are my options?

Am I SOL and out the money too?

Now I'm worried.

--97T--

New PCM is the easiest solution in that case. Boneyard PCM will work as long as it's the same Service Number. Then just get it flashed by someone with a Tech2. (Put the PCM in right before you Tech2 it though. Otherwise VATS will ruin your day.)

EC
    Always Support Our Troops!

little fyi.
    my ls1edit tune was locked. couldnt be read by another ls1edit tuner. we tried 3 seperate times.
    my hptuners downloaded, edited and uploaded with no probs.
    from my understanding and recent experience with my locked ls1edit pcm is that it is locked from anybody else with ls1edit cant read or modify it.
    i had no probs with hpt reading and editing it. none.
    FWIW
    good luck.