Thread: O2's switching slow how to speed up

Tuner

O2's switching slow how to speed up

Not sure if this can be done with software or if I need to use different o2 sensors. the problem is the o2's switch slow after moving them post turbo. the o2's are mounted at 6inches after the turbos. attached is a log of a 80mph cruise. the truck runs good but the afr swings from .92-1.02 trims look good but I keep getting slow switching o2 code after a week or so.I have tried to play with the P&I per thread( O2 Switch Points? No effect in Gen 4 E67 or E38?) with no avail. I could just disable the code but want to try to correct first. Any info would be help full.

5-17-17.hpl5-16-16o2.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    im in kind of the same boat as im trying to make sure my O2 are reading correctly after swapping from stock manis to headers. I had thoroughly read threw and commented yesterday on this thread. http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...7-or-E38/page3

there is some pretty good info in here but don't know if it will be of any help to you or you have already read through this thread. On page 2 there is mention to the P&I gains for turbos. But I guess if you have already messed with it then you may have exhausted all your efforts on the gains already.
    2010 CTS-V A6, Airaid CAI, 2.4 pulley, ported ls7 throttle body, ID850s, ARH 1-7/8" headers and X pipe, TR7IX plugs, MSD wires, Elite catch can, ZL1 lid and Track Attack HX

Tuner
    yes I read that thread and like you state on page 2 I have tried to adjust the settings like mentioned but not change. the log above is with the small changes made.

Tuner
    I also have searched on how to dial in the o2's and haven't found any info

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ke5gnz View Post
    I also have searched on how to dial in the o2's and haven't found any info
    there was another referenced thread on page 1 of the link, it has pretty much the same issue.

Trying to find out the correct numbers based on traditional PIDE loop proportional and integral gains is hard to do when the numbers are scaled in a way that doesn't jump out at you as to what they are. i assume though that being that the process variable (O2 sensor) being in a different location will affect more of the integral then proportional gains that the PCM has from the factory settings. trying to understand senor location vs time for the error to correct itself is what im trying to wrap my brain around. the more i think about it i would think the proportional error would stay the same as factory (please correct me if im wrong) but the integral is more or less what needs to change based on time vs error rate of change. hell i may be way off basis on this. why doesn't the O2 sensor loops provide an auto tuning option? that's what we need.

edit: its funny to me that i had my car tuned by a professional and they never messed with the O2 P&I. they kept it stock. and as others have stated and i have to agree...these should be modified as to where they are located and will affect final measurements if not scaled correctly. but unfortunately i think this is a trial and error exercise. its too bad that header manufactures don't post up this info and do the leg work for us like ID for instance has done. i would assume that all these exhaust companies should have this data.
    Last edited by JBZ; 05-17-2016 at 09:28 AM.
    2010 CTS-V A6, Airaid CAI, 2.4 pulley, ported ls7 throttle body, ID850s, ARH 1-7/8" headers and X pipe, TR7IX plugs, MSD wires, Elite catch can, ZL1 lid and Track Attack HX

Tuner
    yes I agree on the manufactures being able to give at least a starting point. I will keep messing with the integrator and see what happens. I know if I changed them all to say 50 the truck hunted real bad. so I will ASSUME and we all know what that means, that I need to keep lowering the integrator. And if someone else has mess with them for the same situation maybe they could chime in and post their experiences.
    Last edited by ke5gnz; 05-17-2016 at 10:16 AM.

Tuner
    Just a little up date I changed the integrator X1.9 and the proportional error X.89 and the O2's are now switching correctly at cruise but are still slow at idle. I don't have a log as the lap top battery went out on me I will have a new tablet on Wednesday and hopefully get to log and save a log to post.

Advanced Tuner
    Wow thats quite a bit higher i delay then i would have expected, but i guess if the distance from head to o2 sensor has increased dramatically then it should be expected.