Thread: trying to check my cam sensor signal with the hp scanner

Potential Tuner

trying to check my cam sensor signal with the hp scanner

Is there a way to check the square wave like a scope. I'm new to the tuner iv'e only had it for less that a month so i hope this is the right way to ask for help. I cant find and info on using the scanner just the tuner the engine is gm ls gen 4 5.3
    Last edited by keithgrimmett; 05-20-2016 at 11:05 PM.

Not that I know of

I realize this is an old post, but I found it is 2021 looking for sensor signal info. As to the OP's question, the answer is yes. See the linked article for how it was done on a 2000 Dodge Dakota 4.7L V8. This truck uses the same type of 3-wire sensors that an LS engine uses. The below quote is from the article in case it disappears over time.

To test a digital sensor, you’ll need a wiring diagram to determine where to connect your scope leads. On this vehicle, the camshaft sensor signal is located at connector C1, pin 18. Connect channel A (blue) at this location.
    The crankshaft sensor signal is located at connector C1, pin 8. Connect channel B (red) here.
    You’ll want to make both connections at the PCM to make sure the signal is getting back to it. In this case, the reference voltage to both sensors is 5 volts. So the digital sensor’s signal should probably toggle on and off, between 0 and 5 volts.
    You need to figure out which wire does what, and connect your scope input to the signal wire for the plus side and the sensor ground wire for the negative side.
    Currently (2020) swapping an LM4 5.3 and an older 4L80 into a Dodge Durango. My prior projects include Chevy Gen 1 V8 into an FB RX-7, Gen 3 V8s into an FC RX-7, a MK3 Supra, a BMW E34, and an LT1 into a 280Z. Still have the Datsun, a 383 LT4 Trans Am, and some bikes.