Thread: Jeep / Chrysler trailer harness

Tuner in Training

Jeep / Chrysler trailer harness

Ran across something interesting today. my brother in law was trying to tow a uhaul trailer with his 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee today. the factory wiring harness was not functioning. after trying several trailer and vehicle combos they determined it was a problem with the jeep and not the trailer.

i searched around a bit and came upon several sources that claim you have to take the vehicle into the dealer, and have them re-flash the computer to enable the factory wiring harness. while this sounds like the dumbest thing i ever heard, apparently its true for 2014-2016 jeep grand Cherokees. i do not know if it extends to other Chrysler vehicles.

i found a stock 2014 file in the tune repository, but was not able to find a parameter anywhere that would allow that feature to be enabled. possibly something to add to HPT in the future?
    2008 Ford F250 Lariat

2008 Corvette Z51 M6, Kooks LT, Corsa Performance, Vararam

Tuner in Training
    the vin has to be updated by accessing dealerconnect, adding trailer hitch sales code and then performing a vehicle reconfiguration, with witech.

Potential Tuner
    Super old thread but I wanted to check to see if the trailer harness can be activated with HPT before buying the credits for my 21 jeep grand cherokee.

Advanced Tuner
    No, HP cannot do that.

AlphaOBD and OBDJscan both would be likely to do it when paired with the right interface devide like an OBDLINK MX+.

2021 will need some sort of bypass or interface harness to get around security.
    If in doubt, multiply everything by 1.1.