Thread: Fresh 4L80e installed with 3200 stall and HD2... Pls help figure out WTF is wrong

Tuner in Training

Fresh 4L80e installed with 3200 stall and HD2... Pls help figure out WTF is wrong

I swapped in a 4l80e with circle D 3200 stall. installed HD2 shift kit. I bought the trans and converter new, but second hand.

Vehicle is a 2000 GMC Sierra with a Ls1 swap. Was previously running a Custom 1 bar SD enhanced tune on the built 4l65e with no issues.

I did the segment swap for the 4l80e per the help file instructions and sticky thread in the forum. Used the same OS, from same year truck(obviously not SD enhanced tune), transferred the transmission segment as well as the transmission diagnostics for the 4l80e. Flashed and all seemed to go correctly.

I did the re-wire to the harness and added the front speed sensor and ran it to pins 22 and 23 on the PCM. Logged and all seemed to be working fine from a stand still. I re-did the tire size calculations in the tune, just for safe measure, using the tire rollout method.

I've been pulling my hair out trying to get the shift points correct. Unless I missed something with the wiring or the segment swap, I believe that I think I have an issue with one of the shift solenoids or a bad pressure manifold switch, and possibly wiring. I just replaced the ignition switch in the truck to eliminate the possibility, since the problem seemed intermittent at first.

I have a Log and configs...

The symptoms that seem to be consistent are:

-No manual 2nd(either stuck in 2nd gear and slipping really badly or slipping from 1st to second right away) Sorry, its hard to explain, but It's not right.
    -Sluggish, lazy shifts in all gears.
    -When starting from a complete stop, shifter in D, the truck will start in 1st, then shift immediately to second(pressure gauge seemed to spike to 175 w/ stock adapts), and then shift to 3rd. It seemed to want to shift out of second to third right away(slipping?)
    -Have played with the shift pressures and shift MPH in all gears(double and tripple checked the tables for conflicts with upshifts and downshifts) and also tried running stock shift speeds for shift adapts and also tried running it with 50% from stock to try to speed up the shifts. Right now I see about 90psi on the gauge at idle, but It's been almost 100 degrees here the past few days. After playing with the shift pressures, the pressures seem much better with the exception of the slipping second gear.
    -I have also logged the shift solenoids and tried to match them up to the normal 4l80e specs and they don't seem to jive at all. Did i miss something in the tune or wiring? Im hoping its just a bad solenoid of pressure manifold switch. Can any of you guys point me in the right direction to figure this thing out.

FYI- in the middle of the Log, I ran a bunch of start/stops with manually selecting the gears with the shifter.

-the Log file is with shift pressures modified a little bit and zeroed out shift speeds. It seemed to be shifting OK with the exception of the 1-2 shift and manual 2nd gear issue.

2k GMC Sierra Ls1 - Trans channel config.Channels.xml
    2k GMC Sierra Ls1 - Trans config.Layout.xml
    6-2-16 - fresh 4L80e wtf.hpl
    Last edited by chrisxiv; 06-02-2016 at 05:53 PM.

Tuner in Training

Tuner in Training
    After doing some more logging today, I found that the shift solenoids were out of whack... in first gear, the 1-2 solenoid is showing as OFF, then in 2nd gear all the solenoids are showing OFF, then after shifting into 3rd, the 1-2 solenoid goes ON. the other solenoid(supposed to be solenoid B?) is showing as On in 1st, OFF in 2nd, OFF in 3rd and back on in 4th.

from analyzing the proper solenoid shift pattern charts, It looks like the builder installed the solenoids backwards or the wiring for solenoids A and B are reversed. I'm hoping that this didn't cause severe damage to the transmission.

Can anyone tell me if this seems like a logical explanation? I havent been driving the truck hard at all, more like babying it. But is it possible that this caused extensive damage to the transmission?

I can't see your log on my phone, but the shift solenoid pattern on my 4l80 hasn't matched any solenoid pattern I've found yet. My trans shifts fine, I can hold gears manually, I built the trans so I know the solenoids and wiring are correct. I am new to the tuning part, I used bluecats trans software and my trans is a whole different animal now!! I have been playing with the shift pressures also I'm very satisfied with how it's coming along!

Quote Originally Posted by JHForman View Post
    I can't see your log on my phone, but the shift solenoid pattern on my 4l80 hasn't matched any solenoid pattern I've found yet. My trans shifts fine, I can hold gears manually, I built the trans so I know the solenoids and wiring are correct. I am new to the tuning part, I used bluecats trans software and my trans is a whole different animal now!! I have been playing with the shift pressures also I'm very satisfied with how it's coming along!
    I used my laptop instead of my phone, your solenoids are shifting the same as mine. the shift solenoid 3-2 never comes on in my logs either, the 4l80E only has 2 solenoids, and a force motor. the 4l60E has 3 solenoids I believe. maybe someone much better with these will chime in.

Tuner in Training
    I used my laptop instead of my phone, your solenoids are shifting the same as mine. the shift solenoid 3-2 never comes on in my logs either, the 4l80E only has 2 solenoids, and a force motor. the 4l60E has 3 solenoids I believe. maybe someone much better with these will chime in.
    I'm going to pull pan and check continuity from the harness connector to all the solenoids.

something isnt right in the wiring or the something didnt go right with the segment swap.

Can Support or somebody please tell me why my tune configuration shows 4L80e after the segment swap in the editor, but when I log in the scanner, the available solenoids for my vehicle are 1-2, 3-2, and 3-4 solenoids???(obviously not 80e solenoids) or did simply I miss something here?
    Last edited by chrisxiv; 06-08-2016 at 10:54 PM.

I think those are just PIDs that are in the scanner regardless of transmission. Can you use the special functions option in the scanner to command the shifts?? And the solenoids IMO were pretty dummy proof, they look different from each other and the wiring harness is only long enough to reach each one? Don't hold me to that but if I remember right you can't reverse the connectors. Also you said you did the wiring swap, did you do it at the connector or the ECM? I did mine on the ECM side. Lemme see if I can find a picture of my solenoids when I was building the trans and see if I can find a good picture of the wiring harness. I'm not a guru on these trans at all but your issue sounds more like something valve body related.

They can be reversed my bad

Tuner in Training
    I think those are just PIDs that are in the scanner regardless of transmission. Can you use the special functions option in the scanner to command the shifts?? And the solenoids IMO were pretty dummy proof, they look different from each other and the wiring harness is only long enough to reach each one? Don't hold me to that but if I remember right you can't reverse the connectors. Also you said you did the wiring swap, did you do it at the connector or the ECM? I did mine on the ECM side. Lemme see if I can find a picture of my solenoids when I was building the trans and see if I can find a good picture of the wiring harness. I'm not a guru on these trans at all but your issue sounds more like something valve body related.
    Yes. I tried the special functions in the scanner. When commanding first gear, it starts off fine with no slip(but i really could be starting in 2nd. hard to tell).. When I command 2nd gear in the scanner, it won't shift at all. Then command 3rd gear and it shifts real firm into 3rd gear. And shifts soft but OK into 4th.

What gets really odd, is when I command the shift solenoids ON/OFF with the scanner. I have to literally command them backwards or completely opposite what they supposed to be, in order to get it to shift. I am also seeing shift time errors on the 1-2 shift and 3-4 shift of anywhere from 4s to 6.5s pretty consistently.
    Last edited by chrisxiv; 06-09-2016 at 04:29 AM.

I would check the wiring and if nothing is wrong with the wiring you're gonna have to dig deeper sorry I'm not a ton of help here. I wonder if a check ball was missed in the valve body or something? I'm only running 4 in mine.

Stupid question but just thinking out loud, what about the shift cable?

Ok so your issue has me stumped, I did a little more digging, it's impossible to reverse the solenoid connections, the plugs are different. The only thing that could happen with the solenoids is if they are put in the wrong spot. I asked jake at jakes performance about the solenoids he says solenoid a(1-2) is on in low and overdrive, and solenoid b(3-4) is on during 3rd and overdrive. So now I'm going to go back through my log tonight and see the solenoids are working or not correctly on my own truck. I'm starting to wonder if this is a fluke in HP tuners with the 4l80, when I put my truck in drive I'm pretty sure 3-4 comes on

Tuner in Training
    Ok so your issue has me stumped, I did a little more digging, it's impossible to reverse the solenoid connections, the plugs are different. The only thing that could happen with the solenoids is if they are put in the wrong spot. I asked jake at jakes performance about the solenoids he says solenoid a(1-2) is on in low and overdrive, and solenoid b(3-4) is on during 3rd and overdrive. So now I'm going to go back through my log tonight and see the solenoids are working or not correctly on my own truck. I'm starting to wonder if this is a fluke in HP tuners with the 4l80, when I put my truck in drive I'm pretty sure 3-4 comes on
    Yep... Sounds like you're having the same issue I am... My transmission is acting like it thinks it's in a gear that it really isnt in(at least mostly confused upshifting into 2nd gear and slipping like crazy).. Although I am not certain that it's a tuning issue that could be causing it to shift like this, I have gone through everything else I can think of; including new ignition switch, checking grounds and harness connections, new PRNDL switch, and even changing the tire & VSS parameters in the tune. I actually did a tire roll out measurement to get the VSS pulses more accurate, but It seemed like it made it worse since the abs light came on. I am probably going to change the 1-2 solenoid, since I have one laying around, when I pull the pan to double check the wiring and check to see everything was installed in the right place. I probably won't be able to get to in until monday though.

One thing i noticed was when I commanded 2nd gear, from commanding 1st gear in the scanner... it wouldnt upshift. If I did it manually with the shift lever, from 1st to 2nd, i could get it to shift if I feathered the throttle quite a bit. If not, there's a massive delay. The delay happens when the lever is in D as well... The other thing that I found unusual was If I downshifted from manual 3rd into manual 2nd, it seems to downshift perfectly fine.

Tuner in Training
    well i just heard back from support. They said there is nothing that seems to be wrong in the tune...

They said that they cannot offer any support or advise as to why the scanner is picking up the wrong solenoids. Does anyone else know?

I thinking maybe I should have preformed a 'write entire' when I did the segment swap. Either that, or flashed back to the factory OS instead of doing the segment swap with the custom SD enhanced tune already loaded to the truck...?

I've done a write entire still same result

I'm not having shifting issues, mine shifts fine. I'm just noticing the same thing you are with the scanner. If I put the truck in first gear and manually command the 1-2 on and the 3-4 off(like it should be), the truck won't move. If I leave it alone and select first gear the 3-4 solenoid comes on and truck drives fine. The scanner just shows the solenoids backwards but they are actually functioning properly. I think your issue is trans internal nothing to do with tuning.

Tuner in Training
    I'm not having shifting issues, mine shifts fine. I'm just noticing the same thing you are with the scanner. If I put the truck in first gear and manually command the 1-2 on and the 3-4 off(like it should be), the truck won't move. If I leave it alone and select first gear the 3-4 solenoid comes on and truck drives fine. The scanner just shows the solenoids backwards but they are actually functioning properly. I think your issue is trans internal nothing to do with tuning.

Yes. Sounds like the same issue I am having. If I command shift solenoids to shift how they are supposed to(ie 1-2 solenoid ON for 1st, both OFF for 2nd) the truck will not move. I have narrowed my issue down to the truck having 2nd gear starts all the time, even though the scanner is showing the truck in 1st gear. Even with the scanner showing a very early 1-2 shift, I cannot feel it shift in the least bit. It's like I get 2-3 shift, and 3-4 shift as well as lockup. The truck Does feel like it goes into 1st gear when coming to a stop. This is the part that really gets me.

I'm thinking that shift valves are out of balance from leakage, or one of the valves is hanging. I also still see max pressure spike in 2nd gear consistently.