Thread: Axle Ratio Change Not Working

Senior Tuner

Axle Ratio Change Not Working

I confirmed yesterday on my 2006 300C SRT8 with a swapped EGS53 (came stock with a EGS52) the gear ratio change isn't working. I followed the procedure, then went back to check it took, showed my last inputs, re input everything again, hit the EGSINIT, went for a ride and threw all the normal incorrect gear ratio codes and wouldn't shift out of 3rd.

Went back in with my DS handheld, programmed the new gear ratio, worked perfectly.

Not sure what to send support to try to figure this out. Thinking pre-all changes, then after HP Tuner change, then after DS change read out?

Potential Tuner
    I have the same problem with my jeep srt8 06 i brick the egs52 and i buy a egs53. When i read the tune hp tuners make the os update ,i write the tune and i have incorrect gear ratios code and is in limp mode. What can i do??

I had the same issue. I have still got my trinity changing the axle ratio settings.

Advanced Tuner
    Have you guys tried AlfaOBD (does not work with HP tuner dongle but works with others like OBDlink MX) to try and change tire/gear size? It is software that helps diagnostic and re-configure the BCM. I think it compliments HP tuners quite well.

I have had not had success either. I have tried on countless TCMs. Had to use DB as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    Have you guys tried AlfaOBD (does not work with HP tuner dongle but works with others like OBDlink MX) to try and change tire/gear size? It is software that helps diagnostic and re-configure the BCM. I think it compliments HP tuners quite well.
    I have AlfaOBD as well and can change the gear ratio in the newer years (13+) but not older chrysler/dodges that have central gateway module as the config is stored in the TCM, not the BCM, which Alfa doesn’t have a setting for.

Advanced Tuner
    Again, have you guys tried alfaOBD? Way cheaper than having to use DB. I saw for a 2006 300 the BCM can be configured for a different axle ratio. I'd say worth a shot for $50+cost of a obdlink mx.
    300.JPG

Ah posted before I saw your response.

There is no BCM in a 2006. There is a Front Control Module (FCM) instead aka Central Gateway Module. There is a setting for axle ratio but from stock it is set to 0 and does nothing. Alfa is pretty amazing though, i’ve done a 6 to 8 speed swap and it wouldn’t have been possible without it.

VCM Editor should be able to change the gear ratio if you ask me. I really wish HP would figure this out as it seems to be an issue. If you can tune the crap out of Nag trannys why can’t you change the gear ratio? Makes no sense to me and if it was I’d be able to ditch my DB for good.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks for the schooling. To be honest I thought alfa was a joke and that no way a $50 can do anything of value....boy was I wrong. I am still amazed it can enable launch control on challengers and chargers...key is to figure out what chassis type and getting the ABS to re-initialize to accept the new configuration.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by iCanuck View Post
    There is no BCM in a 2006. There is a Front Control Module (FCM) instead aka Central Gateway Module. There is a setting for axle ratio but from stock it is set to 0 and does nothing. Alfa is pretty amazing though, i’ve done a 6 to 8 speed swap and it wouldn’t have been possible without it.

VCM Editor should be able to change the gear ratio if you ask me. I really wish HP would figure this out as it seems to be an issue. If you can tune the crap out of Nag trannys why can’t you change the gear ratio? Makes no sense to me and if it was I’d be able to ditch my DB for good.
    Just out of curiousity what OBD interface did you use with alfaOBD? The reason I ask is I see some vehicles require proxy alignment for setting to take. I know on the LX/LA/LC platforms there is no proxy alignment but the ABS does require re-initialization for some changes to take affect and depending on the OBD interface it might require an OBD adapter. Interfaces like OBDlink MX don't require this but the earlier interfaces did. There was a member here that could not get HP tuners to reset the ABS until he found out it was the bypass cable. Once he swapped it out, it worked which is what made me think to ask the question.
    Last edited by Homer; 07-19-2020 at 06:36 AM. Reason: grammar