Thread: tuning to suit sohc instead of dohc

Advanced Tuner

tuning to suit sohc instead of dohc

this post might not make the most of sense, so please bare with me.
    what areas or tables should i focus on when using a ba/bf/fg pcm to run an ea-au sohc motor instead of a barra?
    will basically every area need some attention or is it enough to just work on the sd tables?
    is there some information or a thread i could read that would help with this kind of thing?
    i've had the pcms running on the sohc before but i basically bandaided the tune by adjusting the stoich value and then messing with the base fuel table, so it doesn't seem like it will take too much work to get it running 100%, just not sure on what is the best way to go about it.

remap sd it will be totally different being a sohc but with only 1 cam angle shouldn't be too hard

Advanced Tuner
    ^whs. Go through the process to remap the Airmass table and adjust the fuel timing if required to suit the cam.

I think an angry NA or Turbo SOHC running a Ba/f Fg Pcm is cool as shit.
    04 Velocity MKII M6 & 06 BF F6 555 ZF6

Advanced Tuner
    well yeah i did my housemates off a ba pcm as a test pilot and did the fg on one last night, both have cams
    had planned to do my housemates 5l au ute off a ba pcm and am doing my rb20det off a bf or fg pcm.
    if i could find a 4cyl strategy to unlock i'd do a 4cyl next.
    kinda after a new challenge if someone has any suggestions of an engine to do? lol.
    got a 2jz in the shed but dont have quite enough stuff to put it into a car.

Advanced Tuner
    when you say adjust the fuel timing to suit the cam, are you referring to the intake valve opening timing?
    if so, what would be the way to go about getting the timing closer to suit the cam?
    also, should i bother adjusting the settings for the idle airflow etc?

I know this is an old thread but what did you use for a crank angle and cam angle sensors with the sohc? Is it possible to use the au crank angle sensor inplace of the distributor?

Advanced Tuner
    yep, can use au or ef, samesame.
    I didn't run a cam angle sensor when I did the few that I did and it defaulted to -10* and I assume it lost sequential injection but I didn't check.
    I did a similar setup when I ran an au ecu in an xh using the xh engine harness on an el motor with au balancer/crank sensor and I hacked up an ef synchroniser and fiberglassed an au cam angle sensor into it as the au cam angle sensor is a variable reluctance style sensor and the ef is hall effect.
    from all the reading I did on the AU ecu when I was putting that ghetto shit together, if there is no cam angle signal the ecu basically chooses 1 rotation to act as TDC on the compression stroke, if it doesn't fire it tries another rotation. if it fires it remembers that and uses the crank angle sensor to keep track. im 99% sure when it does this it resorts to bank fire injection vs sequential.

I assume the barra pcm operates in a similar way but I haven't had a chance to data log one of these setups properly.
    lol sorry for rambling - long story short, you can use the au crank and au cam angle sensors on the barra pcm directly.
    luckily when tuning them you only have 1 cam angle to tune, you just copy each cam angle row to be the same across the board.

Sounds like an interesting project. Cheers