Thread: need some help

Tuner in Training

need some help

Hi guys I have put my smarty back to stock and the VIN is still off by a few numbers/letters what is the best thing to do here? or do I just leave this as is??

Thanks

Darren

Advanced Tuner RandomEnthusiast's Avatar
    Something isn't right if it doesn't return vin to stock.

Tuner in Training
    I checked before removing smarty tune and after the smarty tune and both VINs are there the same???? the only thing I can think of is that the dealer did an update a while back to the ECM where the horn beeps with the door open and in reverse???

Dont make sense to me??? any thoughts?

Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    You'd be well advised NOT to license HP Tuners to the truck while it has the wrong VIN number.

Instead, you should go to a dealer or other shop that has a DRB III (or equivalent), and have them reflash the proper VIN into the ECU. Then proceed with licensing and tuning.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks BoostJ

D

Tuner in Training
    Hey Guys just looking at my scanner and the scanner is showing me the proper VIN but when I go to Lic it is showing me something similar but not the same????

Darren

Tuner in Training
    I ran some scans with the Smarty uploaded and all the scans I have opened have the proper VIN at the top but as soon as I go to LIC it shows up different?? Im Not to sure whats up here did I do something wrong??

Darren

Advanced Tuner
    It's possible that the VIN is being stored in more than 1 partition of the ECM, and that the scanner reads from a different partition than the editor.

I would suggest contacting HP Tuners support to get further clarification.

Tuner in Training
    I sent a ticket to tech Alonzo Mess back I guess I missed the post that says that its only write and the read generates a stock file and I think from what I understand.......Is that from this HPT generates your VIN with a serial number that follows the VIN number!! And now for some reason after yesterdays update it is showing proper VIN and has a 8 dig number after that Im guessing the serial #

Thanks for the help guys

D

Advanced Tuner
    Yes, the 2003 to 2005 trucks are write only. But the interface does read the VIN and other information to populate some of the fields to carry over to the tune file that it generates.

It's important that you don't license the truck while the interface is showing an incorrect VIN. Otherwise, if you write to the truck with an incorrect VIN, you could end up with an undriveable truck. If at any time you see the proper VIN after a read and wish to license the truck, that would be the time to do it.
    Last edited by B00STJUNKY; 06-12-2016 at 11:16 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Thank YOU sir it was weird at first I didnt see the proper VIN with the smarty SW7 installed?? I uninstalled it and tried it at that and still wasnt giving me the proper VIN?? so of course cant live with a turd I installed the smarty program again and never bothered to check!!

then the other day I tried again and all of a sudden it was giving me the proper VIN but had another number after that (serial #) so I for sure wanted to be 100% sure that the info was correct before LIC so I asked the questions

Thanks Guys for your help!!

Darren

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
    Thank YOU sir it was weird at first I didnt see the proper VIN with the smarty SW7 installed?? I uninstalled it and tried it at that and still wasnt giving me the proper VIN?? so of course cant live with a turd I installed the smarty program again and never bothered to check!!

then the other day I tried again and all of a sudden it was giving me the proper VIN but had another number after that (serial #) so I for sure wanted to be 100% sure that the info was correct before LIC so I asked the questions

Thanks Guys for your help!!

Darren
    To get the VIN fixed you can do it with the Smarty Device then unmarry it again. Reach out to Dylan Satterlee and tell him that the VIN is incorrect and ask if they can help you.

Dylan Satterlee <[email protected]>

That would be the easiest way.
    2005 Cummins 325/600 G56 3.73
    Reving to 4800
    Worked Head, Twin Disc, BBI

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Bamofo appreciate the feedback!!

Darren