Thread: "Pro Tuner" version Part 2

"Pro Tuner" version Part 2

Not sure why the original thread got locked/closed so quick.. http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...r-quot-version -- Maybe I'm on to something??? haha..

but on that same subject.. you said there's only 1 version of "Public" software..

the guy I mentioned is a motorsports shop, tuning shop.. so do pro tuning shops in fact have a different "pro tuner" version of hptuners vcm editor??

If I were to look at one of his files with my hptuners, with Advanced view, would I in fact be able to see everything he has changed, all tables he changed???

or is he correct in saying that he really does have a different version than the general public, and I would not be able to see everything he did??

so I should not make any changes to a file he creates, even though I am in Advanced mode?
    Last edited by 06MonteSS; 06-08-2016 at 08:01 AM.
    06MonteSS

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, Custom paint-matched Bowtie emblems, Custom painted SS emblems, BMR strut tower brace, CAI - Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Bo White Ported/Polished throttle body, Custom DiabLew Tune

Senior Tuner
    One version for everyone with the public release, as far as I've ever known. The only difference is in the BETA versions. If the shop is using a BETA, they may be making changes to tables you can't access. There are also some shops that do specific beta testing, beyond the "normal beta" so that's more secret squirrel type stuff. Now, the public version gets updated pretty regular also, so you could have a really old public version versus a new public version. In this case, you could have a similar situation.
    Jaime

well if that was the case, then if I couldn't view stuff he had changed, then that means those changes would not get flashed into the ecm, since my hptuners (2.24.1168) wouldn't be showing the same stuff his is?? even though he says they would, as long as I do not make any changes to his file and save it from my hpt... if my version can't display/show everything he changed, then how could it possibly write/flash the calibration to the ecm and not leave anything out? .. I would think if it can write/flash everything, then it should be able to show/view everything... says the file will work just fine on my 2.24.1168 version..
    06MonteSS

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, Custom paint-matched Bowtie emblems, Custom painted SS emblems, BMR strut tower brace, CAI - Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Bo White Ported/Polished throttle body, Custom DiabLew Tune

3.0 has more parameters than 2.24
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Senior Tuner
    The table mapping is/can be version dependent, so 3.0.xxx mapping will likely have more tables and values mapped for a particular platform than 2.24.xxx and, if it is a file created with a newer version, you would have to re-read the ECU with the older version to make changes. At that point, any changes that are contained in the file will still exist in the background and get carried over to the file you create with the older version.

As long as the user is aware that there could be changes in the background, it may not be a problem as long as the unseen changes are not bad or undesirable changes.

I guess, to put it in Diablo terms. The "templates" are not shared throughout software versions. They are native to the versions. Newer version, likely newer templates.

In addition, changes you make in the editor are made directly to the file as a whole. Not stored and applied to the base file at the time of the flash, like Diablo or SCT.
    Jaime

Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners View Post
    3.0 has more parameters than 2.24
    right.. newer parameters for newer vehicles.. nothing new for a 2014 right, since it's been out for a couple years now already??

so if he creates the tune in 3.0, then those additional parameters would not be available in my 2.24.1168 anyway.. so they would not get written/flashed to my ecm anyway when I install it, right?

and if he creates it in 3.0, would it even work with my 2.24.1168 correctly? would I have any issues opening it and writing it to my vehicle???

I am not interested in upgrading to 3.0 at this point.. "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"..
    06MonteSS

Quote Originally Posted by ElecTech View Post
    The table mapping is/can be version dependent, so 3.0.xxx mapping will likely have more tables and values mapped for a particular platform than 2.24.xxx and, if it is a file created with a newer version, you would have to re-read the ECU with the older version to make changes. At that point, any changes that are contained in the file will still exist in the background and get carried over to the file you create with the older version.

As long as the user is aware that there could be changes in the background, it may not be a problem as long as the unseen changes are not bad or undesirable changes.

I guess, to put it in Diablo terms. The "templates" are not shared throughout software versions. They are native to the versions. Newer version, likely newer templates.

In addition, changes you make in the editor are made directly to the file as a whole. Not stored and applied to the base file at the time of the flash, like Diablo or SCT.
    aaah.. so his whole file would write/flash to my ecm correctly.. then I could read it out with my hptuners and it would still have whatever "background" changes he made, and I would be able to edit the new read if i wanted to, and then when I flash it back, it would still have his "background" changes in it, plus whatever my changes were...

and correct, I realize hpt does full calibration writes, unlike the handhelds which just write the differences between tune and stock files..
    06MonteSS

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 06MonteSS View Post
    right.. newer parameters for newer vehicles.. nothing new for a 2014 right, since it's been out for a couple years now already??
    Not right.

They are adding things constantly. It's not a mapped once and done thing. Depending on the platform and customer requests, there could be a whole host of added tables over that two year period.
    Jaime

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 06MonteSS View Post
    aaah.. so his whole file would write/flash to my ecm correctly.. then I could read it out with my hptuners and it would still have whatever "background" changes he made, and I would be able to edit the new read if i wanted to, and then when I flash it back, it would still have his "background" changes in it, plus whatever my changes were...
    Yes. This is how some can use other software utilities to make changes that may not be available in HPT. It can be risky, but it is useful for those in the know. With that said, HPT is pretty good about adding something that you may be missing, by support request.
    Jaime

aah, gotcha..

thanks!!
    06MonteSS

3.0 has more parameters for many of the vehicles we support, going all the way back to the 96's.

We're constantly updating our entire parameter database for all vehicles.

ok cool..

I've been seeing a LOT of posts from people about their cars being dead/unable to start after doing a read, or the editor freezing up trying to write the ecm and vehicle unable to start, so I am VERY leary of upgrading to 3.0 at this point.. I can NOT have any issues like that with this car... and once I update, my 2.24.1168 stuff will no longer work, since the MPVI interface gets updated too, so I wouldn't be able to flash a tune using my 2.24.xxxx version as a fail-safe.. so, just very leary at this point.. waiting for more of the "bugs" to get worked out of the 3.xx version...
    06MonteSS

Those posts regarding 3.0 are all related to tuning/vehicle problems, NOT 3.0, hence why bill locks/cleans up those threads.. to prevent further misinformation spreading.

do I need to put my car back to stock with 2.24, and the re-read the stock tune out with 3.0? or can I use my stock tune file from 2 years ago and open fine with 3.0?
    06MonteSS

you can use all your old tunes.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners View Post
    Those posts regarding 3.0 are all related to tuning/vehicle problems, NOT 3.0, hence why bill locks/cleans up those threads.. to prevent further misinformation spreading.
    Exactly, the thread I locked was mainly because the answer can be overly complicated, there is beta testing going on, there is alpha testing going on as well, however I think that tuner is referring to changes to the TAC module which, for the most part, aren't included in our software. Also I'd prefer that thread not go much further because I don't like seeing names dropped that just means more cleanup for me so my answer to that thread was as clear & direct as I could put it without adding a dozen disclaimers into it.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

ok cool, fair enough.. thanks all!!
    06MonteSS