Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.0L towing tune

6.0L towing tune

Does anyone have a ~50hp tow tune file that I can look at? Ideally something done professionally.
    2007 Mustang GT
    305ci big bore (5.0L Cammer block)
    Ported heads
    Lunati cams and springs
    Usual compliment of bolt-ons

Advanced Tuner RandomEnthusiast's Avatar
    Drop your timing tables by 2 degrees leave turbo alone and increase fueling mid range and high end by 5-10% and smooth the table. Done. That should prevent any headgaskets from lifting.

I'm beginning to suspect the truck has some kind of tune in it already. I want to find a stock 2004 tune to look at first.
    2007 Mustang GT
    305ci big bore (5.0L Cammer block)
    Ported heads
    Lunati cams and springs
    Usual compliment of bolt-ons

Advanced Tuner
    as a noob to diesel tuning, are you making hese changes to all timing and fuel tables? Or certain ones, can you be more specific?

Potential Tuner
    im a noob diesel tuner as well. im looking for a tune thatll get better mpg and safe for towing. which tables should we change and look in.

Fuel pedal map. And fuel pedal map 2. Copy and paste increase torque fuel tables. Mid range mostly.

Potential Tuner
    you copy fuel pedal map and paste in fuel pedal map 2? the table values are opposite vertical and hotizontal. increase fuel tables by how much roughly? this is just adding more fuel is said area of rpm? is there any benefit to adjusting torque management tables? it would be nice if there were a guide to explain the tables a little better.

Yes copy pedal map 1 to pedal map 2. Increase fuEl by 5-10%. Leave timing alone or reduce it midrange by 2. Just for safety. You can adjust fuel for torque table by 5%. And redo your torque management as well. But for safety if you're on stock head bolts I'd leave it alone. If you've got studs go all out if you want. I've gotten tire burning goodness by increasing timing a bit on the low end and in the middle by a couple degrees advance and by about 6 on the top end then smoothing the tables. And also by setting the pedal response to 1 and it lights tires with 30% fuel increase and disabling torque management as much as possible but mild tow stuff on stock headboard is about as much as you wanna do.

Potential Tuner
    I do have arp head studs. I'm just looking for better mpg and response basically, my tow truck is not a race truck. That's why I tow a race truck lol. Thanks for your insight. I never understood where people learn what the tables are for, some description are pretty vague.both pedal maps are the same. for fuel tables you mean under diesel quantity, main injection limits? what would give better fuel economy? injection timing?
    Last edited by s8cmazda; 10-20-2016 at 05:29 PM.

Yeah bumping timing will give you a bit better economy. I've learned by doing. And understanding the theory behind it. You could put a little more boost in it as well to get better economy.

Tuner in Training
    are you guys running the new beta to scan the 6.0? I ahve a 03 6.0. and, no injector info, no HPOP info, etc. only.. MAP, temp, rpm, speed.. few others ..basics..

I'm looking into getting some datalogs. I have to set something up because the people that say they'll show up never show up so I have to resort to tracking someone down now.

Advanced Tuner
    just an fyi, i tried the light tow tune in the repository and the truck wouldnt make boost and set p0069 code

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet6.0 View Post
    just an fyi, i tried the light tow tune in the repository and the truck wouldnt make boost and set p0069 code
    That sounds like you have a turbo issue or your map sensor is having issues. I just fixed one of those last week. It was a broken map sensor hose.

Advanced Tuner
    Flashed the original tune back in, no code and ran normal

Advanced Tuner
    Ok, found the issue. The new tune modified the map transfer table labels and screwed up my map readings. Set it back stock and all ok.

Pyro meter is about the only for sure way. 30 mpg? Umm that's weird.

Tuner in Training
    The increased mileage display is most likely the result of fooled fueling parameters. It's been rescaled to force additional fueling therefore the computer cannot see it and uses the lower calculated consumption. As for what limitations that makes it reasonable to trick the PCM, I'm unaware, but know many top tuners do it too. I think it extends a pulsewidth limitation in the FICM, or something of that degree, but all only theory on my part. Likely the same reason for the additional smoke since the fuel limiter can not accurately meter how much fuel it's putting out.
    I'd check if your Fuel Sys Tab parameters match your stock file. Then under Engine > Diesel Fueling > Main Injection Limits compare your "vs. Boost" tables.

Advanced Tuner
    Yea, I figured the exceptional mileage was either a computation error from scaled fueling, or the tune was unsafe. It seems to run well though. I tried the other 6.0 modified tune in the repository, less smoke and reasonable mpg, but didnt pull as strong. I'm debating which I want to leave in the truck.

Tuner in Training
    Towing.hptHeres a good tow tune bud try it out.