Thread: Record & Display in Portrait Mode!

Tuner in Training

Lightbulb Record & Display in Portrait Mode!

TrackAddict will not reliably record in portrait mode, and does not show you that it is recording when it does, so how could I record videos and post process? Can you please just make this work for portrait like landscape ? I paid to upgrade TA in hopes you guys could work with me here.

If TA would allow reliable portrait mode recording, at least I could get some visual and that could be shown in landscape with overlays and the video could be shown un-stretched and centered. Not ideal, but it gives an option at least. My ProClipUSA mount only works well in Portrait mode, hence the request.

TIA!

TrackAddict simply marks the video file's orientation data as "Landscape" (ie horizontal), but nothing about that prevents you from recording with the phone in a vertical orientation, if that's what you really want to do. You'd just have to do minimal post-processing on your computer to rotate the video by 90 or 270 degrees, and then could also use RaceRender to overlay any data visualizations and adjust them to better accommodate the layout of your vertical video. I think you'll find that vertical videos really wont do your motorsports adventures justice, due to having a very narrow field of view, and the difficulty of coming up with a data overlay arrangement that looks good and works well in that orientation, but you do have the capability to explore that orientation if you wish. The camera's sensor is rectangular, aligned with the phone's "Landscape" (ie horizontal) orientation, so it's just the nature of the hardware, not the software, that's limiting your field of view here and creating the backwards aspect ratio when you turn it vertical.

Recording video this way would be just as reliable as recording in Landscape orientation... It works reliably, but like any internal video recording, iOS will kill it (and you should see an error message) if you put app into the background, turn the screen off, or run out of storage space. You'll know that it's recording because you would be on the "Record" screen along with all of the displays being active and there being a spinning indicator in the corner. If you had the video option enabled on the Setup screen, then the video recording would automatically be active at that time along with the data recording. In Circuit mode, actual recording will wait to start until you reach 10 mph... This is so that you don't waste storage space recording yourself sitting in grid beforehand, but you can opt to override that at any time by pressing the large "Record Now" button that will appear in that case.

Tuner in Training
    Except when I tried to record in portrait mode it showed no video while driving. This should not be the case.

The video could be presented in landscape with overlays on the edges of the landscape but show the recorded video in portrait, that would be fine with me.

On iOS, there wont be any video preview image shown during recording (we only show this on the Android version because we sort of have to), but it should be recording once data recording starts when you're on the "Record" screen, as long as the Video option had been enabled on the "Setup" screen. The "Preview" tab will show what it's pointed at, and that's the ideal screen to use for aiming the camera before recording.

When you open your session afterwards, it should indicate that it contains video and offer you a "Play Video" button. If that video player shows a black screen, then evidently the selected camera was physically obstructed or covered.

If there was no video recorded with your session (ie there is no "Play Video" button when you open the session), and you had the Video option enabled on the "Setup" screen, then the recording apparently failed on your device. In that case, it should happen no matter if it was in Landscape (horizontal) or Portrait (vertical) orientation. The most common causes for that type of thing are that the Video setting was turned off, the device was too low on storage space, the app was put into the background while recording (an incoming phone call could also cause this), or the power/sleep button was pressed to turn the screen off. With some of these cases, the video could also have started recording, and then stopped prematurely.

If there's no session at all afterward (ie no entry on the Sessions screen), then recording never began in general, which typically happens if your device did not have a valid GPS fix (green or yellow GPS icon), or if you were in Circuit mode and did not reach 10 MPH to automatically start recording, or you were in Segment or Drag modes and did not come to a stop to begin recording, etc. Several of those cases will offer you an on-screen button that can be used to manually start recording.