Thread: CarPlay TrackAddict?!

Tuner in Training

Lightbulb CarPlay TrackAddict?!

There is a perfect solution brewing for TrackAddict, and that seems to be Apple's CarPlay on cars like the 6th Gen Camaro which has a CarPlay capable 8" screen! Imagine adding all the TA goodness in your center stack -- this is a suggestion to the developers to explore this option w/Apple!

Tuner
    This would be amazing, but unfortunately, Apple only accepts apps of certain types for use with CarPlay: audio, messaging, and navigation. Automakers are also allowed to include apps that enable control of their cars via CarPlay. I suppose there's a chance that Apple would approve TrackAddict as a "navigation" app, but that seems... unlikely.

Before last year, apps could only become CarPlay-enabled by specific invitation from Apple; now, developers can submit without invitation, but must fit within one of the categories in order to obtain approval. In both the old and new policy, I suspect their reasoning for this is out of an abundance of concern for driver safety, which I respect. The policy might change again someday to include more types.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
    Last edited by JakeRobb; 01-14-2019 at 11:35 AM.

Potential Tuner
    I support submitting it as a Navigation app! Maybe add Geofencing for Track Only use? Within X ft of known track GPS coordinates.

I've kept an eye on both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto as they've progressed over recent years, but unfortunately the severe limitations imposed on the UI and functionality of both platforms really limits the practicality and usefulness of this idea. As much as I'd like them to be similar to having an iPad or Android tablet installed in your race car's dash, these platforms were designed entirely for street drivers, and neither Apple nor Google wants to contribute to distracted driving. Google reminds us of this repeatedly in red warnings scattered throughout the developer documentation. Both platforms have a strict review process before car apps are released in their app stores, and neither company is known for being flexible when it comes to their app requirements. The vast majority of apps that are currently approved for either platform are strictly audio apps.

So, while it is possible that we may be allowed to do *something* on these car platforms, that would most likely be limited to simple text or audio notifications, which are already provided by TrackAddict on your phone or tablet. The hardware capabilities of these car platforms are also limited (GPS is murky at best, no accelerometers, no OBD-II or vehicle data, etc), so I don't believe they would eliminate the need to have a phone or tablet operating in the car.

Potential Tuner
    There is one option for putting TrackAddict on an onboard headunit. That is to by one of the slightly sketchy Chinese headunits, like the Carjoying double-DIN unit I put in my MX-5.

TrackAddict works quite well. The onboard GPS is adequate for timing laps. I've been doing that for a while. And in stock form, the unit is capable on connecting to BT OBD2 devices for telemetry. Recently, I discovered that rooting the device allows installation of full BT functionality and connection of an external GPS for accurate lines.

It looks like TrackAddict will even see the backup camera as an onboard camera and record at 360p, which should at least be good enough for monitoring the line by video. Going to play with that next weekend.

If only TrackAddict would open up access to the ECU beyond just the basic OBD2 channels...

Tuner in Training
    Apple just announced the biggest CarPlay update yet for iOS 13, perhaps now TrackAddict can come to the CarPlay screen?! How about reaching out to Apple and seeing what they say? Perhaps when they see what is planned, and contrast that with like Chevrolet's in car system (Performance Data Recorder) https://www.chevrolet.com/performance-data-recorder for the track (Corvette/Camaro), they will add what's needed to fully enable this!

https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-13-preview/features/

Also, just to clarify to Weston, that CarPlay REQUIRES the phone to be operating in the car to work...
    Last edited by libertyforall1776; 06-05-2019 at 12:08 AM.