Thread: Which computer to use Gen III or Gen IV?

Tuner in Training

Which computer to use Gen III or Gen IV?

Hi guys, I have been searching for an answer but have not found any clear information yet so here what I am working with. I am building a 408 with a 6.0 iron block with 24x reluctor wheel, LS3 heads, LSA Blower, 411 computer, Fast 90 mm drive by cable throttle body and a T56 for my 71 Chevelle. I also have a gen IV LSA throttle body. I have tuned a few gen III motors so I have some experience with them but I haven't tuned any Gen IV cars. My question is should I use the parts I have and go with the drive by cable and 411 computer? Or should I switch my reluctor wheel to a 58x, run a 4x cam sensor, a gen IV computer and the DBW throttle body? I was originally going to use the 411 computer with my 408 as it was going to be NA but since I bought the blower I'm not sure if its worth switching to a Gen IV set up or not. Any info would be appreciated.
    94 Camaro LS1 4L60e 224/228 581/588 112 241s 3600 stall - Gone but not forgotten
    71 Chevelle 408 LSX Ported L92s LSA Blower T-56 CTS-V six/four piston Brembos Moser M9 Intro Wheels

I'd much rather prefer to run a gen 3 computer. That way you don't have to deal with Virtual Ve tables.

Regular VE tables are easier to tune. So if it was me I would find a 01-02 truck computer with a cable throttle body.

Then you can just put in all the details you need for cylinder volume, injector size, tire size etc etc and start tuning away.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    Use the E67. Learn the evolved VE and youll be fine. Too many features E67 offers to FI cars to use obsolete ECM's

In end it's his choice but switching to a GEN 4 computer doesnt make sense with the wallet. Too many extra parts to buy, you'd be further ahead with a GEN 3 computer.

I wouldn't call them obsolete, they are easier to tune with in my eyes.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the replies guys. I thought this might turn into a Chevy vs Ford debate. I was just wondering if I was going to be leaving a lot of ability to tune on the table if I used the 411 computer. I will probably give the gen III as shot since I have most of the parts.
    94 Camaro LS1 4L60e 224/228 581/588 112 241s 3600 stall - Gone but not forgotten
    71 Chevelle 408 LSX Ported L92s LSA Blower T-56 CTS-V six/four piston Brembos Moser M9 Intro Wheels