Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Torque source 4 on launch (11 Mustang GT auto)

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Enginerd_Rob View Post
    A couple questions...

1. Do these cars get the VSS reading from the OSS sensor in the trans or from a wheel sensor(s) in the ABS system?

If the VSS signal is from the front wheels, and we lift the front wheels (wheelie) on launch, could this explain the erratic VSS readings as the car starts moving? I know my car does pull the drivers side tire off the ground on launch.

2. Could the trans rpm limit of 3235 be occurring due to trans control not liking the difference between TSS and OSS while on the transbrake? I found a tech manual for the 6R80 that shows an error generated (P0722) under these conditions:

"Sets when not in Park or Neutral, engine RPM greater than 3000, input shaft speed greater than 2800, throttle position greater than 10%, output speed less than 200, all conditions met for 3 seconds".
    OSS is VSS

The 3000RPM thing is changed by adjusting trans/stall speed. This needs to be done even if foot braking that high. Yes I know there are some who want to sell you a transbrake and will tell you that theirs needs no calibration changes whatsoever, believe that at your own risk.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kdanner View Post
    OSS is VSS

The 3000RPM thing is changed by adjusting trans/stall speed. This needs to be done even if foot braking that high. Yes I know there are some who want to sell you a transbrake and will tell you that theirs needs no calibration changes whatsoever, believe that at your own risk.
    Thanks for the info.

Are you talking about inferred movement also, or just stall speed?

Is there a rule of thumb for values to enter on stall speed vs converter model (3C, 4C, 5C)? In my case I'm running a 5C.
    Last edited by Enginerd_Rob; 08-10-2016 at 10:03 AM.

Tuner in Training
    In this case I'm just talking about stall speed. Just raise it up way out of the way to a point where you won't reach that RPM on the brake.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kdanner View Post
    In this case I'm just talking about stall speed. Just raise it up way out of the way to a point where you won't reach that RPM on the brake.
    My inferred and stall speed are currently at 8000.

Damn, I thought this was going to be it!

I have both inferred and stall speed at 8000 too and I still ran into the RPM limit. So unfortunately that's not it.

Also I'll add that I don't think having a transbrake matters Enginerd_Rob. I get it while just on a 2 step. And as I've mentioned, I also get it on burnouts.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by dbb2797 View Post
    Also I'll add that I don't think having a transbrake matters Enginerd_Rob. I get it while just on a 2 step. And as I've mentioned, I also get it on burnouts.
    And to be clear, your not using the 2 step during burnouts right?

Tuner in Training
    Reverse Limit is 5000 for me too Eric.

I've attached another log from this weekend. This is a burnout where I caught the RPM limit triggering twice. Granted it's not during the launch where I'm also seeing it, but I feel like it's probably the same mechanism triggering them

You have to run the log at a slow speed to see it, but I see it trigger just as the RPM drops below 4,000 (RPM was dropping as I was reducing throttle), after the RPM limit and I felt the fuel cut, the RPM's dropped to 2800 and I gave it more throttle and it triggered again as the RPM was coming back over 3,000 (the RPM Limit occurred at 3200 RPM's)

First RPM limit at time 5.563, second RPM limit at 5.874.
    Watching your log is interesting. It starts with the commanded gear as "unknown: 01" and stays like that until you hit 4000 rpms, at which time it reads "1st". From there we see it go to "unknown: 03, then "2nd", then as rpms drop near 4000 it goes to "unknown: 05". When it drops below 4000, it triggers the torque source 4 limit. It seems like 4000 rpm has significance.

Looking at my SCT log, my torque source 4 was also triggered immediately after hitting 4000 rpm. My SCT log shows commanded gears as being normal (ie. no "unknown").

We need to figure this out!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ForcEng View Post
    I logged the event last night with a lot of the torque data. I'm using LiveLink and my X4 to log. First thing I wanted to check was that my engine flywheel torque wasn't over my driver demand at release of the button. It is not, its worth mentioning that when the button is released you will get a torque spike as the engine hits converter stall speed.

First thing that happens is the Transmission RPM limit drops to 3235.82 RPM, Then .020 sec later Torque source 4 pops up. I'm also logging Torque Based RPM Limit, this also goes to 1 as torque source moves to 4. The throttle angle desired moves to 2 when the TQ Source 4 occurs. when throttle angle desired goes back to 85, you get some spark/fuel source changes, which I'm guessing is a result of the ecu recovering from the torque error.

Being that the Transmission RPM limit changes to 3235, I'm thinking this is where our problem lays. Why is it doing this? I've glanced through stuff looking for a limiter with that value, didn't find one. What I did just stumble across is low/reverse max VSS. This is set to 2.5mph. looking at the log again the speed sensor resolution at the lower mph seems to be poor. In this particular log the MPH goes from 2.42 to 5.34 instantly (crossing that 2.5mph threshold) as this happens the trans rpm limit changes at the same time. My current thoughts are that the 3235 rpm number is what ecu calculates the trans rpm needs to be at 2.5 mph based on the gearing/tire info I have applied. This raises the question, why does the ecu think the low/reverse clutch still needs to be applied? Thought I came up with is that we are applying this "externally" on the trans brake and for some reason the ecu still sees that clutch is applied for a brief amount of time after the button is released. Or maybe the engine rpm is above what the ecu calculates it should be at 2.5mph (possibly do to a higher stall converter) and it applies the limit?

On another thought, if I make 5 passes back to back. The VSS reads different every time, some times going from 0 to 15 with nothing in between, sometimes its smooth. If this low/reverse VSS max is what is causing our issue, the VSS inconsistency may explain why we can make several passes without issue. Good news is this should be easy to test. I'm hoping that if I lower this value I can get the problem to repeat. Hopefully raising this limit will cure our issues..

Sorry if I appear to be rambling through this as I was working out my thoughts and ideas as I was typing. I'll play with this a little on the street/parking lot tonight as long as I am able, and I'll report back. I'd like to know your thoughts on this!

Attachment 61664
    On this log, we also see torque source 4 triggered right at the 4000 rpm mark.

And to be clear, your not using the 2 step during burnouts right?
    Yes exactly. I'm not on the 2-step during burnouts. I'm pretty confident that what I'm seeing on my burnouts is essentially the same RPM limit we sometimes see at launch. It has to be something related to a combo of vehicle speed (or the speed the ECU thinks I'm going during my burnout), RPM and gear that is triggering this RPM limit.

Senior Tuner
    I believe eric said he fixed that. has anyone tried logging with the latest version?

Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    I believe eric said he fixed that. has anyone tried logging with the latest version?
    Yes I did on 8-6 with the latest. I was still seeing the "unknown" for commanded gears. Unfortunately I can't datalog this weekend because my car is getting long tube headers put on and I'm not going to have it back until next week. Waiting for an X-Pipe. But I'll post up my logs tomorrow from the 6th for everybody to see along with with what params were set for each pass.

Tuner in Training
    I'm racing this weekend. I've never tried to log with the HP software (only the SCT X4), but I'll see if I can get it working.
    Last edited by Enginerd_Rob; 08-12-2016 at 09:05 AM.

Yes I did on 8-6 with the latest. I was still seeing the "unknown" for commanded gears. Unfortunately I can't datalog this weekend because my car is getting long tube headers put on and I'm not going to have it back until next week. Waiting for an X-Pipe. But I'll post up my logs tomorrow from the 6th for everybody to see along with with what params were set for each pass.
    I'll be looking forward to the log. Can you attach the tune here please. I want to take a look.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post
    I'll be looking forward to the log. Can you attach the tune here please. I want to take a look.
    Thanks so much for your help on this Eric!

Attached 2 logs. Now I've been experiencing this problem for quite some time. So I've attached 3 logs and 3 tunes. One from a burnout on 7-3-15 and the tune from that day. And two logs from 8-6-16 and the tunes from that day. The reason I wanted to show a log and tune from 7-3-15 is because I've made a lot of changes to the tune. So the one from 7-3 is much closer to a stock tune and I was still experiencing the issue even then.

On the 7-3-15 log which is during a burnout, I wasn't logging torque source, but if you look at time 7:31:53:606, you see the torque request fall off to virtually nothing at about 3300 RPM's and then the torque jumps back up after the RPM's drop quite a bit. I'm confident that's the same RPM limit issue even though I don't have torque source logged.

On the 8-6-16 log 1, I have both my burnout and launch logged and I experienced the RPM limit during the launch but not during the burnout. What I was experimenting with was low/reverse max VSS. On this log I have it set to 5MPH. At time 5:58:35:722 you'll see the RPM limit.

On 8-6-16 log 2, I only have the burnout in the log. I didn't experience it on the launch during this pass. At time 6:44:50:178 you'll see the RPM limit. low/reverse max VSS was set to 10MPH on this run.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I could only attach 5 files. Here is the 7-3 log

Tuner in Training
    I just went out on the street and tested a burnout and launch, logging with the VCM scanner.

In the log, I did a burnout starting in manual 1, shifted to manual 2, then manual 3. At the beginning of the burnout I had the torque source 4 popup at the 7:33:14.95 mark.

After the burnout I rolled forward, stopped, put in drive, then got on the transbrake (3200 rpm 2-step limit) and launched. I let off right after launch.

Attached is the log and tune:

I just went out on the street and tested a burnout and launch, logging with the VCM scanner.

In the log, I did a burnout starting in manual 1, shifted to manual 2, then manual 3. At the beginning of the burnout I had the torque source 4 popup at the 7:33:14.95 mark.

After the burnout I rolled forward, stopped, put in drive, then got on the transbrake (3200 rpm 2-step limit) and launched. I let off right after launch.

Attached is the log and tune:
    Yes, your RPM limit while doing your burnout is the exact same thing I'm seeing. It's something about first gear, the RPM around 3300 RPM's and the MPH that is triggering it. It's easier to recreate in a burnout, but it's without a doubt the same thing we sometimes see at launch too. Hopefully Eric can figure out what it is. This limit really holds back the potential for this car to be a consistent car at the track.

Tuner in Training
    At the track now... Here's a clean pass (no TQ source 4). Log is a 3rd gear only burnout then a full 1/4 mile pass.

Tuner in Training
    After a lot of time studying this, I have a theory...

It looks like the Torque Source 4 is triggered by the Trans Calculated Gear Ratio exceeding 5.00.

As best I can tell, the ratio is calculated as Trans Input Shaft RPM divided by Trans Output Shaft RPM.

When the car is not moving, this ratio defaults to 5.00 regardless of the Engine RPM, TCC Slip, or Input Shaft RPM.

As the car begins to move (rear wheel speed starts to register) or a burnout starts (again rear wheel speed starts to register), the trans starts to calculate this ratio.

The first few data points as the wheel speed starts to register don't match the calculated ratio, which I think is due to the resolution of the logger. Eventually though the numbers match.

On a good burnout and launch, I am not seeing the ratio exceed 5.00. I'm thinking that 5.00 is the max allowed calculated ratio, and if it's exceeded, it tells the throttle to close to slow down the input shaft.

Eric@HPTuners, is there a variable somewhere that affects Max Trans Calculated Gear Ratio?

Thanks,
    Rob