Thread: Which BT app for "allow mock locations" with Dual gps160?

Which BT app for "allow mock locations" with Dual gps160?

Android phone with marshmellow ver. Nexus 5x. I guess I need to download a Bluetooth gps app to "allow mock locations" so my dual will pair. Which do you recommend> There a a couple of dozen? Which app/developer?

Thanks.

I was able to turn on "developer mode" on the phone.

TrackAddict has direct support for the Dual XGPS160 and many other GPS'es that give us NMEA data over Bluetooth serial, so you don't need to mess with these mock locations or helper apps/services in most cases. On the More Options screen, set GPS to Bluetooth, then select your GPS device (or, first go pair it to your device, if you haven't already).

The mock location stuff is for GPS'es that don't operate in this common way, and in that case the app you would use would typically be whatever was supplied by or recommended by the manufacturer, as it would need to communicate using that specific GPS protocol.

Tuner
    NO offense to Weston, but I leave TA in the non-BlueTooth mode for the GPS data. That is unless there is something special you get by using the bluetooth GPS mode through TA.

But there are two standard mock GPS provider applications for android called bluetooth GPS and Bluetooth GPS Provider. Both do the same thing, basically.
    Last edited by guitarZ; 07-23-2016 at 07:32 PM.

It worked the way Weston said, I never needed mock gps. The external gps is a bt gps so I have no choice in that, I think.

Tuner
    You can choose either the internal one or use the external, Bluetooth, GPS as you like, but an external GPS receiver just takes the extra effort to charge, activate and set up. TrackAddict is the only application that I have that can use the Bluetooth GPS receiver directly; all the others need a mock GPS provider, so I use the mock GPS provider for everything.
    Last edited by guitarZ; 07-23-2016 at 10:08 PM.

External gps = 10x the sample rate over internal. Better for racing? Yes?

Tuner
    The 10 Hz update (not sample) rate is good, but the ability to get a precise fix is more important. Who cares how fast it tells you where you are if it's wrong? That's why you can select between the different levels of precision on a 'phone' and being able to get a precise location from a dedicated GPS receiver.

I have a GPS receiver I bought via eBay for $20, but it could not give an accurate location:

Parade Route.JPG ... And that was driving along at about 10-20 MPH... That's why I got the better Dual XGPS150 receiver.

Personally, I'd wait (or hope) for an update to TA so you can send the init code for the Dual 150 so you can activate the 5 Hz update rate. Unless you are going really fast, such as 130 MPH in an airplane, 5 Hz will be enough. BTW- the Dual XGPS 150 was designed for use in an airplane, and so is the Dual XGPS 160, 170, and 190.
    Last edited by guitarZ; 07-24-2016 at 12:17 PM.