Thread: New to HP Tuners

Potential Tuner

New to HP Tuners

Hi all. Just got my MPVI and was wondering exactly what I need to do to data log and send data logs to my tuner? I accidentally read the vehicle in the VCM Editior and after scanning this forum found out that that was probably a stupid thing to do after reading the sticky about the 03-05 PCM's being read only and now I'm not sure what all I need to do

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2012mciga View Post
    Hi all. Just got my MPVI and was wondering exactly what I need to do to data log and send data logs to my tuner? I accidentally read the vehicle in the VCM Editior and after scanning this forum found out that that was probably a stupid thing to do after reading the sticky about the 03-05 PCM's being read only and now I'm not sure what all I need to do
    What's the concern/question?

Reading the ECM is harmless. When it says that 03-05 ECMs are Write Only, it implies that the MPVI doesn't read out the actual calibration from that year range of trucks. It reads some information from the PCM (such as OS ID, VIN, Serial Number, and a few other things to populate specific informational data), then it generates a stock calibration file for that ECM. After that, you can make changes to the generated file, and the flash the truck with the MPVI.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by B00STJUNKY View Post
    What's the concern/question?

Reading the ECM is harmless. When it says that 03-05 ECMs are Write Only, it implies that the MPVI doesn't read out the actual calibration from that year range of trucks. It reads some information from the PCM (such as OS ID, VIN, Serial Number, and a few other things to populate specific informational data), then it generates a stock calibration file for that ECM. After that, you can make changes to the generated file, and the flash the truck with the MPVI.
    How do you use the logs to make new tunes? I don't really know how to use the log portion. I've just been tuning off feel of the truck.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2012mciga View Post
    As for the data logging side of it, if you are having a tuner doing the tune changes for you and you are just doing data logs for him. I would ask your tuner to send you his scanner files so that way he gets all the data logged that he needs to see.