Thread: Slow/soft 2-3 shift only in Auto Mode.

Slow/soft 2-3 shift only in Auto Mode.

It's an A580 equipped challenger, thinking of disabling the shift torque adapt for that shift. Anyone have any input? In paddle shift mode it shifts quick & firm.
    99 T/A WS6, original LS1 turbo

Senior Tuner
    can you post up your tune? I assume you have tweaked the various normal ramp torque, shift torque reduction, and times?

Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    can you post up your tune? I assume you have tweaked the various normal ramp torque, shift torque reduction, and times?
    Yeah I have, 0 torque management, bumped the ramp torque on all gears and bumped that shift even more. As far as shift time I only see 1 table that controls everything. I'll post the stock file so you can see what I'm talking about. The auto stick shift is perfect, but when in "Dirve" the shift is is sluggish.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Can you post the modified tune? Theres a host of things to change but saves me time typing it out if I can see what you have changed already

-Converter stock is unlocked entirely at 100% throttle 1st/2nd gear, at least should lock it in 2nd, will make shifts much firmer
    -Normal TCC pattern is selected for Normal shift mode, Normal TCC table has LESS slip than when in autostick
    -torque limit by gear needs to be raised for 1/2 gear, stock it is too low

Theres more, just starting....

Can you post the modified tune? Theres a host of things to change but saves me time typing it out if I can see what you have changed already

-Converter stock is unlocked entirely at 100% throttle 1st/2nd gear, at least should lock it in 2nd, will make shifts much firmer
    -Normal TCC pattern is selected for Normal shift mode, Normal TCC table has LESS slip than when in autostick
    -torque limit by gear needs to be raised for 1/2 gear, stock it is too low

I haven't done anything with the TCC fyi but here you go.

Theres more, just starting....
    I don't want to apply the TCC any more in second, that would change the ratio for that gear right?
    Last edited by WS6HUMMER; 06-22-2016 at 10:53 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Wont change the ratio but going through a shift completely unlocked and relying on the mechanical power of the convertor will certainly feel slow and sloppy. I would have to log for sure but I believe in Autostick converter is locked in 2nd, period. Not 100% sure tho, and HP hasn't given us a specific Autostick apply/release set of tables.

Wont change the ratio but going through a shift completely unlocked and relying on the mechanical power of the convertor will certainly feel slow and sloppy. I would have to log for sure but I believe in Autostick converter is locked in 2nd, period. Not 100% sure tho, and HP hasn't given us a specific Autostick apply/release set of tables.
    Yeah I saw that, well I'll log the TCC state next time and see whats going on. So you think locking it up sooner might help? What about disabling the torque adapt for that gear, am I way off track?

Senior Tuner
    Torque adapt is limited anyways to 15ft/lbs, and the torque adapt is there to make sure the shift happens inside the time you tell it to, it really shouldn't soften up a shift too much. But worst case just reset the TCM adaptives, (be careful tho you could hurt your trans) and see if it does it within a few miles, the torque adapt takes a very specific drive cycle to be learned, you can rule it out by doing the reset and soon after doing a test, it wouldn't have had much time to learn yet.

And the converter lockup is worth a shot, wont hurt anything.

Torque adapt is limited anyways to 15ft/lbs, and the torque adapt is there to make sure the shift happens inside the time you tell it to, it really shouldn't soften up a shift too much. But worst case just reset the TCM adaptives, (be careful tho you could hurt your trans) and see if it does it within a few miles, the torque adapt takes a very specific drive cycle to be learned, you can rule it out by doing the reset and soon after doing a test, it wouldn't have had much time to learn yet.

And the converter lockup is worth a shot, wont hurt anything.
    Thanks for explaining, sound's like I need to adjust the lockup like you suggest. How much earlier would you suggest ?

Senior Tuner
    Personally I just set the 90 and 100% throttle cells to a value way way below anything you could ever see in 2nd gear, like 250. this way as soon as you get into 2nd gear at any rpm or mph itll just go into lock mode. if you wanted to make it lock just before the shift (though I don't recommend it as youll feel a notable dip in acceleration) you could do the math of 2.19 x output shaft speed to get something close to your shifts, 2400 would be about 5,250rpms.

Personally I just set the 90 and 100% throttle cells to a value way way below anything you could ever see in 2nd gear, like 250. this way as soon as you get into 2nd gear at any rpm or mph itll just go into lock mode. if you wanted to make it lock just before the shift (though I don't recommend it as youll feel a notable dip in acceleration) you could do the math of 2.19 x output shaft speed to get something close to your shifts, 2400 would be about 5,250rpms.
    Thanks, I'll set it real low like you recommend & see how it feels.