Thread: LSX Swap E38 ECU need advice, some problem

Potential Tuner

LSX Swap E38 ECU need advice, some problem

I have a 74 Chevy Nova. I put a 2008 Silverado 1500 - 5.3 engine with E38 ECU.

I have 3 Question for you. I already been tuned with HP Tuner at a race shop.

1. I need to find the pinout from the E38 ecu to be able to have a signal for the speedo Any Idea Folks ?

2. Next question, I tried 3 pinout on the E38 ECU to find a signal for the speedometer, is that possible that we need to check or choose an option in the HP tuner program to put ''ON'' this signal (do we need to put manualy ON this signal to be able to have my speedometer Gauge (AutoMeter American Muscle Speedometers 1289) be able running ?

3. When I put my transmission on the Drive position, tranny supposed to upshift and downshit by itself.

My question : When I smash the electronic throttle pedal, I'm supposed to have a Kick Down on the tranny (from 4 to 3 speed by example), like a normal car do........all the 4 speed work correctly, but I'm not able to have this Kickdown, when I smash the throttle pedal, car goes faster (like normally) but not able to goes from 4 to 3 speed by itself)

Do we need to put manualy or check a box on the HP tuner somewhere to have this Kickdown working ?

Thanks for your help

Stephane

What transmission/controller are you running?
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Potential Tuner
    Sorry.

Everthing came off 2008 Silverado 1500 - 5.3 Engine Flex fuel. ECU : E38 and tranny : 4L70E tranny (from a trailblazer I think)

Stephane

Post tune

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Which speedometer are you using?
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecarlodrag View Post
    Which speedometer are you using?
    Autometer American Muscle Gauge # 1289

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...1289/overview/

Potential Tuner
    There is the tune.

I have some problem too with the shift of the tranny when I put it on the drive...I feel it like driving a CVT tranny (with a strap, like a snowmobile)...I really dont like to put it on the Drive when I drove the car..I always shift it mannualy...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ratoflic View Post
    2. Next question, I tried 3 pinout on the E38 ECU to find a signal for the speedometer, is that possible that we need to check or choose an option in the HP tuner program to put ''ON'' this signal (do we need to put manualy ON this signal to be able to have my speedometer Gauge (AutoMeter American Muscle Speedometers 1289) be able running ?
    The Speedometer output has not been enabled in the E38 ECM. This is typical with E38 truck calibrations.

Quote Originally Posted by ratoflic View Post
    My question : When I smash the electronic throttle pedal, I'm supposed to have a Kick Down on the tranny (from 4 to 3 speed by example), like a normal car do........all the 4 speed work correctly, but I'm not able to have this Kickdown, when I smash the throttle pedal, car goes faster (like normally) but not able to goes from 4 to 3 speed by itself)

Do we need to put manualy or check a box on the HP tuner somewhere to have this Kickdown working ?
    There is no "kick down" circuit - this is not a carbureted SBC with a TH350. Part throttle shifts (up or down) are a function of TPS % versus speed. WOT downshifts are a function of speed. WOT upshifts are a function of both speed and RPM.

Contact your tuner and let him know that the speedometer output is disabled, and also explain how you would like the transmission to shift.

If things don't work out the way you would like, find another tuner, or consider purchasing HPT and learning how to do these tasks for yourself.

Potential Tuner
    There is no "kick down" circuit - this is not a carbureted SBC with a TH350. Part throttle shifts (up or down) are a function of TPS % versus speed. WOT downshifts are a function of speed. WOT upshifts are a function of both speed and RPM.

Contact your tuner and let him know that the speedometer output is disabled, and also explain how you would like the transmission to shift.

If things don't work out the way you would like, find another tuner, or consider purchasing HPT and learning how to do these tasks for yourself.[/QUOTE]

John,

I had a 2013 gmc pickup using the same E38 ecu. When I was smashing the electronic pedal, I was feeling a downshift (kickdown) on this truck. this is the same ecu...why this ecu or tranny will not do the same thing ?

right now.....the car is really leasy when I run around 80km/h...when I smash the car...I dont feel any accelration like my truck before....(truck goes from 4 to 3 speed by itself)

I cant understand why this is not the same thing with the same tranny and same ECU

stephane

You aren't reading. It's a tuning issue or something else similiar. This has nothing to do with a "kick down circuit"

Nobody said they don't "kick down".

He's saying this isn't 1982 and there isn't a cable running from the throttle body to the transmission to tell it when to kick down. It's all done by the computer now, but if the tune isn't telling it to change gears then it won't, simple as that.
    Last edited by schpenxel; 07-13-2016 at 01:21 PM.

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    You aren't reading. It's a tuning issue or something else similiar. This has nothing to do with a "kick down circuit"

Nobody said they don't "kick down".

He's saying this isn't 1982 and there isn't a cable running from the throttle body to the transmission to tell it when to kick down. It's all done by the computer now, but if the tune isn't telling it to change gears then it won't, simple as that.
    OK then,

This is a tuning issues ?

I call my tuner and asked him a couple of question.

Thanks.

For the HP tuner guru, I upload my tune couple of tread ago...does anybody see something wrong.

Do you know what window or where is the place where I can modified or turn ''ON'' the speedometer reading...maybe think to buy a HP tuner and tried it by myself !!!

stephane