Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Write Entire - Brickable!

Advanced Tuner

Write Entire - Brickable!

I just noticed that when you select 'Write Entire' "Brickable" comes up in red. I've wrote entire several times on 3.0 and never had a problem. Will I have problems using write entire now? Just curious.

On the latest 3.2.12.

It's a new feature we've added to 3.2 to let users know when they are potentially at risk of bricking their PCM's.

The risk has always been there, ad we do our best to make sure that risk is as low as possible. However, in rare cases, you could still brick your PCM, hence, that flag.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Tuner in Training
    I did a write entire in a E40 ECM with a T42 TCM(corvette 2005) to enable a VATS patch. Now seems that the 3.2 new version bricked the TCM T42 computer. I don't see any communications between the modules.

Any ideas that how I can fix the issue? Is a client car and I don't want to reply telling him is needed a new TCM computer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

disconnect the battery for a few minutes, reconnect and then try again (only select the TCM for writing). If you were doing a write entire on the TCM when it failed you need to do write entire again to recover it.
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner in Training
    Didn't work...also I installed the new 3.2.15 and didn't work either....

Still not able to edit VE table, after installing 3.2.18

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LQ9_Jeep View Post
    Still not able to edit VE table, after installing 3.2.18
    What's that have to do with "Write Entire"?
    Jaime

What is "Bricked" and how does it occur?

Quote Originally Posted by wrc View Post
    What is "Bricked" and how does it occur?
    Bricked is when your ECM or TCM changes states and retains only the functional characteristic of a building block.

It occurs when you remove the capability of processing information.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ls1pr View Post
    I did a write entire in a E40 ECM with a T42 TCM(corvette 2005) to enable a VATS patch. Now seems that the 3.2 new version bricked the TCM T42 computer. I don't see any communications between the modules.

Any ideas that how I can fix the issue? Is a client car and I don't want to reply telling him is needed a new TCM computer.
    any update? my friend car same issue

Quote Originally Posted by HPF View Post
    any update? my friend car same issue
    Update to what?

Potential Tuner
    I have had the same issue today. Have a 2004 tahoe, everything read fine with the 3.2, even ran the scanner. Changed the gear ratio and tire size to calibrate the speedometer, bumped the rev limiters up and decided to write and once it hit erase, said it timed out and failed. tried again, cycled key, and even went back to the base tune, nothing, when I tried to read it again, it just said detect protocol failed. Wouldnt let me back in. Now truck doesnt start and Ive been emailing back and forth with hp service, talked to a buddy that runs hp all the time, and not getting anywhere. Figure the ecm must me bricked. Got another from the local yard and just dropped it off at another guys to have him flash the vin in tonight so I can go home, hopefully. Im sure I did something wrong, but still trying to figure out what, thinking it might have been because of the stereo, the gm tech was saying even if you pull the fuse, its still connected into the datastream and pretty much does what it wants... Might have been the problem but not sure.

It might still be the problem

If it is an aftermarket stereo and you retained the steering wheel controls and the alarms through an interface, it may be drawing amperage. This happened to me on my 06 Silverado. I bricked the ECM, REPLACED it!!!, and bricked that one as well. However pulling the stereo fuse and ensuring a full battery charge as well as use of a charger while writing solved my problem.... Now...! I follow this procedure every time I write to the truck....My understanding is that ANY amperage draw that interferes with the ECM may potentially cause a problem. If you pulled the stereo fuse, you may have a draw from some other aspect...Headlights/Daytime running lights, Interior lights (Door ajar), etc..... So... I pull them all just to be safe, make sure the doors are closed and nothing is drawing power except the ECM and ignition... Good Luck...
    Last edited by Jggregory99; 08-26-2016 at 09:34 PM.

Maintaining a stable voltage during a flash is important, but my opinion is the issue is the aftermarket interfaces are screwing with the data going over the data bus... Some of them are only disabled when they are totally unplugged or all power is disconnected from them

I saw this for the first time yesterday and it was on a manual. You never like seeing pop ups like this while working on a car. I was using 3.6x

Is this something that's always going to come up like a warning every time now like a pop up, or has the HP Tuners interface picked up a potential problem with the vehicle?

I have unlimited LS3 licenses, and for some reason I had to burn 1 credit to save this download. Got an explanation on that ?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil'sC5Vette View Post
    I saw this for the first time yesterday and it was on a manual. You never like seeing pop ups like this while working on a car. I was using 3.6x

Is this something that's always going to come up like a warning every time now like a pop up, or has the HP Tuners interface picked up a potential problem with the vehicle?

I have unlimited LS3 licenses, and for some reason I had to burn 1 credit to save this download. Got an explanation on that ?
    It's a warning to tell you that the write type you have selected can potentially make your selected module unrecoverable. It's intended for information only, and to remind those users who for some reason use write entire when its not needed that its not 100% guaranteed in case of a failure.

eg. when write entire on an LS1, there is a small window of time at the beginning of the write where a failure can potentially lead to a bricked PCM.

Also, the 1 credit was probably you licensed the FSCM.
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    Seems kinda strange that theres a pop up that you might ruin the pcm. But no pop up that you're going to need to buy a credit for doing something you don't need to do? Seems shady, I know thats not the intention but.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
    Seems kinda strange that theres a pop up that you might ruin the pcm. But no pop up that you're going to need to buy a credit for doing something you don't need to do? Seems shady, I know thats not the intention but.....
    The licensing screen asks you multiple times, to check what you are about to license and explains it clearly. FWIW the brickable warning isn't a popup, its in red text. Just the same as the licensing warning
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    The licensing screen asks you multiple times, to check what you are about to license and explains it clearly. FWIW the brickable warning isn't a popup, its in red text. Just the same as the licensing warning
    I haven't run into that. I'm surprised at how many people on here have that complaint. I guess I'll know what to do when I see it thanks to that.