Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Write Entire - Brickable!

Potential Tuner
    Hello. First time post so rather than open a new subject I'll ask the question here since it pertains to this initial question. I have read and saved my stock tune and want to do my first write to my vehicle so I can unlock it. The screen below pops and and the "brickable" warning comes up. Do I uncheck this or is it just the standard warning for tuning that was stated above? If I write all three checks will I then be able to do the "write calibration only"? From what I read you have to do the initial write and then the write calibration button will be available to use. BTW ignore the DOD delete as that is one of the things I plan to do after the initial write. Thanks for any input!
    stock wdod.png

If you saved the stock file you should have already spent the 2 credits to unlock it and make the changes, so writing the tune doesn't technically unlock it.

If you are making no changes to the FSCM then you can just choose to not write it. So you'd only write to the PCM and TCM.

Also looks like you are in basic view, like 400 more tables will show up if you switch to advanced view under the edit tab.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Ok thank you very much. What I wasn't seeing was the write calibration only as in the video. Maybe this is older software where I seen video on it? On mine it says write vehicle. I also had to spend an extra credit when I went to write to vehicle for what reason I am not sure. Don't really care about that as the 8 original credits is more than enough for me. I hope this is making sense. Maybe I am overthinking it? Could be paranoia in fear of bricking PCM. Below is what I seen in the YouTube video.
    write calibration only.png

Edit: I found this on Facebook. Guess if I ever need to write to the FSCM I am all set but for now I'll avoid it.
    HP Tuners has released their latest 3.6 version software and with it comes a great new feature which allows us to re-program Fuel System Control Modules thus negating the need to locate it, pull it and replace with an after market, or worse off, just remove it and use a relay to control the pump. They have treated the FSCM module as a controller like the PCM/TCM and there is a one credit charge ($50) to allow re-flashing an updated program. A lot cheaper/easier than running a new pump control or an aftermarket FSCM...
    So basically it looks like I am OK to write vehicle with the DOD turned off as I wanted to. Thanks Death Punch. Oh and I have advanced view now. Little much for me but eventually I'll figure it out.
    Last edited by Chopper; 10-06-2017 at 08:28 PM.

Correct that video is from the old 2.24 days, like 2 years ago or more. I think 3.0 started in 2015 sometime where they changed the look and how they label things.

The write vehicle is all you get but then once it opens the small screen is where it says write calibration only under the drop down menu. That is also where it would say write entire as well.

It does cost 3 credits if you choose to license the FSCM along with the PCM/TCM as the FSCM is 1 credit itself. It's no big deal like you said but you could have choose to not read the FSCM and it would have been just the regular 2 credits.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Correct that video is from the old 2.24 days, like 2 years ago or more. I think 3.0 started in 2015 sometime where they changed the look and how they label things.

The write vehicle is all you get but then once it opens the small screen is where it says write calibration only under the drop down menu. That is also where it would say write entire as well.

It does cost 3 credits if you choose to license the FSCM along with the PCM/TCM as the FSCM is 1 credit itself. It's no big deal like you said but you could have choose to not read the FSCM and it would have been just the regular 2 credits.
    Thank you. Obviously I am new to this and I really appreciate it. I have been reading and watching videos to try and understand all of this. I will have a cam to tune in a week and after watching YouTube it makes a lot of sense how you go about doing it. Baby steps is the key and save each adjustment in the tune as you go. Have a good weekend. This tuning thing looks like fun BTW.

Potential Tuner
    I have an issue with the brickable with the fscm

Tuner
    Well, a simple calibration only write can brick the hell out of your ecu too. Vcm editor locked up in the middle of a routine cal only write and completely bricked my ecu. My car still doesn't start and it's been like 3 days. So, pretty much assume your ecu can be completely f***** any time you write to it.... It literally just happened to me and no recovery option was available. I sent in a ticket with logs and all that. They just said I need a new ecu and gave me 2.credits to relicense the new one, but yeah. Reprogrammed the ecu with oem tools and everything matches properly, now I'm fighting theft deterrent problems. A calibration write should not have done this and all I got was two credits for tuning a vehicle I already paid to tune, and then basically I'm on my own.... I'm so frikkin pissed.
    Last edited by RoninDusette; 06-23-2020 at 07:06 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninDusette View Post
    Well, a simple calibration only write can brick the hell out of your ecu too. Vcm editor locked up in the middle of a routine cal only write and completely bricked my ecu. My car still doesn't start and it's been like 3 days. So, pretty much assume your ecu can be completely f***** any time you write to it.... It literally just happened to me and no recovery option was available. I sent in a ticket with logs and all that. They just said I need a new ecu and gave me 2.credits to relicense the new one, but yeah. Reprogrammed the ecu with oem tools and everything matches properly, now I'm fighting theft deterrent problems. A calibration write should not have done this and all I got was two credits for tuning a vehicle I already paid to tune, and then basically I'm on my own.... I'm so frikkin pissed.
    As I mentioned in the other thread I believe the cruze you can brick if you don't have the key in the proper position, unfortunately its not something our software/hardware can look for
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"