Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CTS V throttle issue on nitrous

CTS V throttle issue on nitrous

I'm having a issue with my throttle starting to close when spraying. On boost only it doesn't happen, but when spraying a wet shot making a 3rd gear pull it closes to about 50% midway through the pull. Any suggestions on whats going on? The car has a 90mm tb on it. Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by stonemonk9; 06-23-2016 at 11:02 AM.

Tuning Addict
    Log commanded or desired throttle on top of actual throttle position - looks like throttle may be closing on it's own from the log?
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Log commanded or desired throttle on top of actual throttle position - looks like throttle may be closing on it's own from the log?
    Will do, thanks. It's a ported 90, I'm hoping it's not sticking or something... will report back shortly.

Advanced Tuner
    gold or silver blade? I have heard the silver blade LS3's I think are not as strong of a motor. I have a ported 90 mil gold blade LS7 I guess it is?
    2010 CTS-V A6, Airaid CAI, 2.4 pulley, ported ls7 throttle body, ID850s, ARH 1-7/8" headers and X pipe, TR7IX plugs, MSD wires, Elite catch can, ZL1 lid and Track Attack HX

Quote Originally Posted by JBZ View Post
    gold or silver blade? I have heard the silver blade LS3's I think are not as strong of a motor. I have a ported 90 mil gold blade LS7 I guess it is?
    It is the gold blade, got it from Jokerz

Advanced Tuner
    oohh OK it should be fine then.
    2010 CTS-V A6, Airaid CAI, 2.4 pulley, ported ls7 throttle body, ID850s, ARH 1-7/8" headers and X pipe, TR7IX plugs, MSD wires, Elite catch can, ZL1 lid and Track Attack HX

Tuning Addict
    The electric motors in the TB's are hit and miss... Nick has a MUCH beefier motor setup but it's a little bit of $ for the upgrade... There are other options as well from him if it's a motor not being able to maintain issue... You can also flip the TB - put motor assembly on the passenger most side of the engine - this helps quite a bit due to the inlet turbulence...

That all being said if this is the issue? Does commanded show it to be commanded closed when it's closing?
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

The electric motors in the TB's are hit and miss... Nick has a MUCH beefier motor setup but it's a little bit of $ for the upgrade... There are other options as well from him if it's a motor not being able to maintain issue... You can also flip the TB - put motor assembly on the passenger most side of the engine - this helps quite a bit due to the inlet turbulence...

That all being said if this is the issue? Does commanded show it to be commanded closed when it's closing?
    Well I was at the track today and logged the desired tps and it proves that its looking to see 100 percent and the plate itself just isn't going to do it. This was also off spray it was closing. Im considering throwing my stocker back on for now. I have attached to logs and the updated layouts. First one it wasn't so bad, second log is terrible, car went into reduced power mode also.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    You might consider buying another one...maybe off ebay i think they are pretty cheap and swap the motors out.

This is a common issue with gold blade TBs. The LS2 tb is much better. My ZL1 would cause flutter and throw errors using an LS3 TB. Change to an LS2 (silver blade) and never had an issue. Not enough torque on new TBs.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jsllc View Post
    This is a common issue with gold blade TBs. The LS2 tb is much better. My ZL1 would cause flutter and throw errors using an LS3 TB. Change to an LS2 (silver blade) and never had an issue. Not enough torque on new TBs.
    Thats weird because i have read quite a few things that exactly the opposite. Im not arguing so please dont take it that way just saying that i had contemplate the same thing when i got my gold blade and every post i read was that the silver blade was the weaker of the 2 motors. Also if i remember corretly the gold blade opens in the same dirrections as the lsa but the silver was opposite. Again that is all what i have read.

Mine seems to be fine with 14.5 lbs of boost but i would imagine like all things the motor could just give out one day or suddenly get weak.

Quote Originally Posted by JBZ View Post
    Thats weird because i have read quite a few things that exactly the opposite. Im not arguing so please dont take it that way just saying that i had contemplate the same thing when i got my gold blade and every post i read was that the silver blade was the weaker of the 2 motors. Also if i remember corretly the gold blade opens in the same dirrections as the lsa but the silver was opposite. Again that is all what i have read.

Mine seems to be fine with 14.5 lbs of boost but i would imagine like all things the motor could just give out one day or suddenly get weak.
    I have 3 LS3 TBs and 2 LS2 TBs some stock and some ported. Two 102mm TBs and one 108mm TB. Every one using a LS3 set of electronics exhibits flutter under high loads. All of the LS2 style remain stable. My current work with Magnuson on some tests shows that same thing. Over 1300 CFM and they flutter. At 1500 CFM (1000HP) any rapid TB blade movement causes DTC on most. More than a 6% error. Just the data we see. New 108 TB will not be using LS3 electronics, new NW does not use stock LS3 electronics (my understanding) and https://www.tpis.com/pages/8_10_11 uses LS2. Just the data I have.

Advanced Tuner
    Man you must really like throttle bodys...lol

Im sure im not experiencing any of those systems because im not at those power levels or cfm. That would explain alot. Thats good info hopefully it can help out the op in picking a better throttle body for his application.

Actually bought them all except for one base on people telling me how to fix the issue. Started with stock 87mm. Needed more air. Was told to buy an LS3 90mm. I had the flutter issue. Was told it was just a bad one. Replaced it. Had the same issue. Got it Ported. More flow same issue. Bought an LS2 at the recommendation of Mike Norris. Issue solved. Not enough flow though. Bought a NW 102 (using stock ls3) Had flutter issue. Bought a TPIS and issue was gone. Magnuson asked me to test a 108. Has a LS3 set of electronics. Has flutter of about 3 to 4% at 5800-6300 rpm but does not cause DTCs. Gave me 50 more HP. Car moves 720 g/s approx. 1500 cfm at 6600 rpm with 850 RWPH and approx. 1000BHP. Very expensive lesson on TBs. If you want to see if you have an issue. Log the TB position from the PID not the sensor. Go WOT throttle until about 5500. Let off then immediately go WOT. Many times it will great a DTC, sometimes will shutdown the engine until cleared. If does not do that look at position on log. On second WOT may go to 99.9% but then flutter back an forth between 95 and 99.9. On cars with larger air requirements the flutter just happens on a long hard pull.

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by jsllc View Post
    Actually bought them all except for one base on people telling me how to fix the issue. Started with stock 87mm. Needed more air. Was told to buy an LS3 90mm. I had the flutter issue. Was told it was just a bad one. Replaced it. Had the same issue. Got it Ported. More flow same issue. Bought an LS2 at the recommendation of Mike Norris. Issue solved. Not enough flow though. Bought a NW 102 (using stock ls3) Had flutter issue. Bought a TPIS and issue was gone. Magnuson asked me to test a 108. Has a LS3 set of electronics. Has flutter of about 3 to 4% at 5800-6300 rpm but does not cause DTCs. Gave me 50 more HP. Car moves 720 g/s approx. 1500 cfm at 6600 rpm with 850 RWPH and approx. 1000BHP. Very expensive lesson on TBs. If you want to see if you have an issue. Log the TB position from the PID not the sensor. Go WOT throttle until about 5500. Let off then immediately go WOT. Many times it will great a DTC, sometimes will shutdown the engine until cleared. If does not do that look at position on log. On second WOT may go to 99.9% but then flutter back an forth between 95 and 99.9. On cars with larger air requirements the flutter just happens on a long hard pull.
    Surprised you aren't having more problems than that with the 108... What altitude are you at - just wondering because at 3400 feet we had NO problems then at 1200 feet ours went to fully slapping shut then back open - Nick Williams recent fix took care of it 100% - he was at the track with some of his experimental fixes, so we got to try one out... That's with a magnuson making 18psi / engine making 850hp and 800tq to the tire... I know his fix is one very large torque electric motor or a voltage booster going to the stock motor...

Next question - is the ls2 based TB a direct plug and play? If so why not just swap out the electric motor where the ls3 motor is now?

~Greg Huggins~

Surprised you aren't having more problems than that with the 108... What altitude are you at - just wondering because at 3400 feet we had NO problems then at 1200 feet ours went to fully slapping shut then back open - Nick Williams recent fix took care of it 100% - he was at the track with some of his experimental fixes, so we got to try one out... That's with a magnuson making 18psi / engine making 850hp and 800tq to the tire... I know his fix is one very large torque electric motor or a voltage booster going to the stock motor...

Next question - is the ls2 based TB a direct plug and play? If so why not just swap out the electric motor where the ls3 motor is now?
    So did not say I did not have issue. I am trying not to pick on vendors. Just said I did not have it set codes and my flutter is limited to about 4%. Under the default 6% limit. The 850RWHP is 770RWTQ on my ZL1 at 15PSI. I also had an opportunity to test the NW that you cannot buy. Yep it works. What 108 were you running and which Maggie? The LS2 while a match is not a match on the inside so no swapping. Wish I could. New design of 108 will address both internal return issues and electronic torque. I am supposed to see one in the next couple of months.

Tuning Addict
    108 is the one out of Australia that Magnuson sells and it was a Heartbeat with the 108 inlet... Make sure you port your new inlet to match the blower and TB - ours had some pretty serious core shift or something in it - almost a 1/4 offset in areas... I just said I was surprised you didn't have more issues, not that you didn't have issues - we were the second ones out there as far as I know to test the 108's on the magnusons - I told them they had some design issues then Our ZL1 was still slightly detuned putting down what it did with the magnuson - fresh motor and all - really wish they made a bigger blower... It'll eventually be put back on pump gas, then we'll see just what it'll do Was having to run WAY too much timing on race fuel and didn't want to risk putting any more in for power...

~Greg Huggins~

Is that the tune you showed me? Yeah.. that was just a TAD bit of timing, lol

Tuning Addict
    Yes sir

~Greg Huggins~

Yeah, now that was a ton of timing.. I'm pretty sure that's why I ran so crappy... added a lot of race gas and didn't turn the timing up... felt like I was running a restrictor plate or something

Oh well, back to topic
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock