Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Innovate LM-2 Issues

Advanced Tuner

Innovate LM-2 Issues

I am trying to log afr from my LM-2 to HP Tuners. I have the instruction booklet with the wideband, it says to hook lime green to datalogger (+) and yellow to datalogger (-).

So I hooked the lime green to slot #1(Input #1 +) and hooked the yellow to slot#5(Input #1 -). I get a reading of 14.3-14.8 on the Innovate screen. But I get 20.0-22.0 on the scanner.

I used the common transform function and selected Innovate LM-2.

What am I doing wrong? I have been using a AEM wideband for the longest time. It went bad on me, so I upgraded to the Innovate LM-2 for easier use on a lot of different vehicles.

So this is my first time trying to log afr with this new wideband setup.

Need to see a log and a screenshot of your setup for the WB

As a trouble shooting step I would delete the input/transform out of the channel list and add just the MPVI 1 channel back. Log while AFR is ~14.x and see what voltage you're getting. That will help narrow it down on whether it's the transform that isn't right or if HPT is really getting the wrong voltage.

Advanced Tuner
    Attached is a log of the wideband without the transform function. The log was taken while the LM-2 was displaying as close to possible to 14.7afr.

Also attached is a screenshot of the LM-2 Programmer Settings.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Yeah, either the output isn't working correctly on that WB then or it's not connected properly, in my opinion. Shouldn't be reading 4V+ at 14.7:1 based on those settings in LM Programmer

Advanced Tuner
    Correct I do agree, and I verified the connections were correct 3 times with no different results. Instructions say lime green is positive for datalogger (+) and yellow is negative for datalogger (-). I have lime green to pin #1 and yellow to pin #5.

I guess I will call Innovate to see if I can get some tech support with the issue over the phone.

Yeah, could also put a multimeter on the output just to be sure it matches what is showing up in HPT.. but sounds like a WB issue to me with what we know so far

Advanced Tuner
    I will do that now, before calling Innovate.

Good call. Thank you

Advanced Tuner
    So I don't know why this is the case, but I changed the setting in the LM-2 that way both analog output #1 and #2 are the same. 0V = .5 lambda and 5V = 1.52 lambda

I also have the response speed to the slowest setting of 1/12sec. And the log on HP Tuners is terrible.

Attached is a log with the wideband reading now, I am using analog output #2 from the LM-2. Analog output #1 just stays in the 4.5v area.

What can I do to make the reading smoother, so I can actually get correct data?
    Attached Files Attached Files

What version of HPT are you using?

Never mind.. that log is jumping around so bad it doesn't matter

Advanced Tuner
    I just downloaded the new version of 3.2 yesterday.

Advanced Tuner
    It is 3.2.12

need to ground to battery as well. Pin5 on the HPT device to yellow and battery will correct most of the error but is will still jump all over the place and does not match the formula. Serial is much better about not jumping but not useful as output on the screen is neither AFR not lambda but numbers from 0 to 3000 which I believe is raw data.

Advanced Tuner
    I tried the direct battery ground trick and didn't help, like you did mention. It still jumps on over the place.

But that is interesting about the serial setup, I have never used a serial input before. And am looking to try but that is crazy that it doesn't display in afr or lambda.

Just not sure what method I need to do to make the serial work with the LM-2.

Do I need to purchase the serial cable from Innovate that attaches to the Handheld, then need to get a serial to usb adapter?

Someone mentioned in another thread that the mini usb to 2.0 usb cable would work, with the LM-2. But I did not have so much luck with that method.

It should display in afr or lambda. If it doesn't then something is wrong on HPT's end.

Yes, need to get from WB to serial then serial to USB
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

LM-2 Analog results

I can affirm the LM2 interface has something weird. We are experiencing the same jumping about to the point the AFR err data is useless. I have set the filters from 0 to 250ms and a little better but still unusable. We have run twisted dedicated gnd and power from the battery as well as twisting the cable (only 12 inches) from the LM2 to the MPVI....I need to change the offset from .5 to .12 to get the values to be correct in the HP Tuners chart/graph...The example is a 2016 C7 Corvette with an A&A V3 Superchrger installed in for a tune.

At a loss, actually have to log with EFI Live for the final tweaking....

Ed M
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mowton; 06-24-2016 at 08:57 PM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

As for serial, spent over 10 hours on this. Tried 3 different usb to serial adapters. Does not work. Instead of getting lambda or AFR you get numbers from 0 to 3000. I am sure it is raw data. LM2 had current firmware and a Bosch 4.9 sensor. Before anyone gets to questioning the serial output. I have a breakout box on the RS232 it only uses 4 pins. 2 are ground on is TX the other RX. Not hard to wire if you have done any RS232 systems. Having been in the computer industry since 1980 I am well versed in this as all computers then ran terminals that were RS232. Do not waste your time. Until it is fixed in HPT nothing anyone can do. I have a ticket in.
    Last edited by jsllc; 06-24-2016 at 09:08 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Do you think the issues with it jumping around so much could be fixed it you were able to change the polling interval for the analog inputs?

I am not even sure, if that is possible for HPT to do. But it sounds like that it might help out some. I saw a thread back when 3.0 first came out, about the polling interval for the analog inputs changed from 60hz, 20hz averaging in the 2.24 to 100hz, with no averaging in 3.0

Just wonder if it is possible to let us change polling interval like other regular channels.

You'd be better off configuring the LM-2 to smooth it's data.

The VCM Scanner averages the MPVI data together for 10ms before pushing it out the MPVI Input value to the software. This means, your data is on average, about 5ms stale.

During that averaging process, it could end up averaging 50+ samples from the MPVI Hardware itself.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

While averaging will do what it says. The bigger issue is can you trust the data. In the day we spent on this we tried many things. The LM2 had current firmware and a Bosch 4.9 sensor. We tried it with and without grounding directly to the battery. With was more stable. Issue was LCD display ranged from 14.2 to 15.2 with O2 sensor voltages showing similar swings. The Log however showed swings from 13.3 to 17.5. Not good. So then we set the LM2 to produce 2.5v. The MPVI show 3.1 to 3.3. It was never stable. Set the LM2 to 1.25 and the MPVI showed 2.3 to 2.6. Set the LM2 to 5 and the MPVI showed 4.5 to 4.65. Nothing is constant and we gave up. Not trust worthy data. Do not know who's issue it is. Test the same on brand-X and the Serial input on their logging was a perfect match to the display and analog was stable with a predictable voltage offset. This however does not mean HPT is wrong just that brand-X figured out a way to work with the LM2.

We now use an AEM 30-333 where we can (CAN-BUS direct connect) and a 30-300 (serial/analog) in other places and forgot about this mess. Both work with HPT.
    Last edited by jsllc; 06-25-2016 at 11:28 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    When you say smooth the LM-2 data, do you mean just slow down the response time? I have the LM-2 set to the slowest response time available in the Programmer(1/12).

Can you explain a little better for me please?