Thread: Best 360 Cam for TrackAddict?

Potential Tuner

Best 360 Cam for TrackAddict?

Hi,
    I love the trackaddict app while using my samsung phone as the camera. I want to add more cameras though, I have a gopro and was planning to get a fly360 (if that works well). Can you do all three of these at the same time with Track Addict and Race Render? If not can you use the data overlay from Track Addict to go on a 360 video? Are they any example videos made like this?

Thanks!

Yes, this sample video was produced with RaceRender using a 360fly 4K camera and data from TrackAddict: https://youtu.be/Km49rz48bsQ

RaceRender 3.4 added new features and workspaces for 360 video support, with really good support for the 360fly cameras in particular. 3.4.1 will also be released in the next day or two with even more features. You can overlay your GoPro or other traditional camera footage into the 360 workspace as well.

For the time being, you will need to manually start the 360fly recordings when using TrackAddict, and then use RaceRender's sync tools to get it timed to your data. In the future, I hope to add automatic control for the 360fly cameras, like we already have for GoPro...

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Weston@HPTuners View Post
    Yes, this sample video was produced with RaceRender using a 360fly 4K camera and data from TrackAddict: https://youtu.be/Km49rz48bsQ

RaceRender 3.4 added new features and workspaces for 360 video support, with really good support for the 360fly cameras in particular. 3.4.1 will also be released in the next day or two with even more features. You can overlay your GoPro or other traditional camera footage into the 360 workspace as well.

For the time being, you will need to manually start the 360fly recordings when using TrackAddict, and then use RaceRender's sync tools to get it timed to your data. In the future, I hope to add automatic control for the 360fly cameras, like we already have for GoPro...
    Thanks, so if I used the 360fly mounted like in your demo video, you can sync it up with TrackAddict for the overlay via RaceRender similar to how you have to export a video now when not using a iDevice? When you do that can you pick the sound from any of the cameras you use, for instance the wind noise if bad on the 360fly so you could use the cell phone camera for the overlay and sound?

Yes adding auto control to the 360fly would be awesome!

Thanks Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mdurbahn View Post
    Thanks, so if I used the 360fly mounted like in your demo video, you can sync it up with TrackAddict for the overlay via RaceRender similar to how you have to export a video now when not using a iDevice?
    Yes. What you'd want to do is transfer your TrackAddict data to RaceRender using WiFi Transfer or USB File Sharing (iOS devices do this through iTunes), then add in the video file straight from the 360fly... If that 360 video will be the first video in your project (ie there was no video from TrackAddict itself), then it should automatically set it up for 360 video and a 360 workspace. Then you'd use the Sync Tool to align that video's timing with your data, etc.

If you instead already have another video in your project before adding the 360 video, such as if you are using a TrackAddict video, then the 360 video will be added as picture-in-picture by default, so you'll just want to do two more things to change that:
    1) Click the "Settings" button at the bottom left, and change the Workspace to a 360 degree workspace. This will effectively zoom out, giving you the full 360 x 180 degree workspace.
    2) Double-click the image of the 360fly video that you brought in (that should open its Properties box on the right), then change it's "Style" selection to "Full View 360". This will make it fill the entire width of the 360 workspace, and it will typically have a black or transparent portion at the very top or bottom, due to the camera's blind zone.

When you do that can you pick the sound from any of the cameras you use, for instance the wind noise if bad on the 360fly so you could use the cell phone camera for the overlay and sound?
    Yes. You can mute your main video (via its display object properties box), and then you have two options for using sound from another video file:
    A) You can show that other video as picture-in-picture, which will mix in its sound by default
    B) You can use that other video's audio only, without showing its video picture anywhere: Click "Add" under the Display Objects section, select the desired Input file at the top, and then click on "Audio Only".

Potential Tuner
    Hi,
    does track addict work with samsung gear 360?

thx janos

Quote Originally Posted by jeansknol View Post
    Hi,
    does track addict work with samsung gear 360?

thx janos
    At this time, the 360fly cameras are the only ones that TrackAddict is able to control automatically via WiFi. However, this is only an automatic remote control feature, so you could also manually start a Gear 360 recording yourself if you wish. In either case, you would then bring the resulting camera footage into RaceRender to combine it with your TrackAddict or other data / video.

RaceRender should be able to work with most any standard 360 camera that can give you a .MP4 file in the typical format used for YouTube 360 and Facebook 360 (flat 2:1 equirectangular projection). For most 360 cameras, that means that you'd need to use the camera's own software or app to convert it into that format, and then obtain the resulting .MP4 file to use with RaceRender. However, RaceRender is also able to accept raw 360fly camera files directly, so there is no need to do any conversion or special steps when using their cameras.

Potential Tuner
    thx Weston for immidiate reply.
    till now i used the android trackaddict alone and i`m not yet familiar with race render or a 360 cam; as a owner of a S7edge it would be less complicate to work with the samsung 360 gear, and if race render is able to fusion the videos from S7 and g360?gear this will be my choice.
    On the other hand track videos are my main application - your advice please

I've read that the Samsung Gear 360 app can fuse its two camera images together and flatten it all into a typical equirectangular format, so in theory that output should work for RaceRender, but I don't have have one here to confirm that with.