Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold Start Emiss. Red.

Senior Tuner

Cold Start Emiss. Red.

I think I might have encountered a missing table or bug with an early 2011 Mustang GT strategy. When running E85, or even down to E55 or so, I'm seeing a spark source of Cold Start Emiss. Red. and it is keeping spark very low. I've tried with flex fuel enabled and disabled with stoich updated and still am having the same issue.

Is there a workaround for this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by ridenrunwv View Post
    I think I might have encountered a missing table or bug with an early 2011 Mustang GT strategy. When running E85, or even down to E55 or so, I'm seeing a spark source of Cold Start Emiss. Red. and it is keeping spark very low. I've tried with flex fuel enabled and disabled with stoich updated and still am having the same issue.

Is there a workaround for this problem?

Do a search someone posted something similar a few weeks back in a flex fuel thread. I forget it they figured it out or not.

Senior Tuner
    Nobody ever responded with a solution. I found that but decided to start my own thread about it instead of getting that thread off topic. It's not actually a flex fuel related problem. I initially thought that but set the stoich and turned off flex fuel and the problem persisted.

Advanced Tuner
    I'll let you know how mine does, I am running e36 right now and will be filling up 50/50 tonight when I'm off work.

I know my 13 GT always starts up in Emission Reduction but haven't noticed what spark source is during those 50 or so seconds before it changes to Optimal Stability.

Senior Tuner
    The problem is it doesn't go away after the cold start. It's like there's a temperature sensor or something being used to determine its a cold start and the cooler burning of the higher ethanol is making it constantly use this as spark source. No idea if that's what is actually going on but just an idea. I am wondering if there's an ethanol compensation for this not setup in the early tunes.

Advanced Tuner
    So I blended 50/50 e8 and 93 and ended at 40.8% ethanol, I'm thinking my station is on a e70 bond right now. But anyway, my start up are just fine and driving is just fine as well. I don't think I ever get cold start emissions as a source on start up. Have you changed any of the Opel Loop delay settings? Theres one for 02 temp and another for time, stock 02 temp is set to 150* and the other is set to 18 seconds.

Senior Tuner
    I haven't changed these settings. We were fine at 45% or so but not when higher. The car was running in Closed Loop while giving this as a spark source.

I heard someone else mention this problem in the flex fuel announcement thread a while back. I don't think it was you but not sure.

Senior Tuner
    It wasn't me. I read it there though. I guess I need to figure out how to flash a different strategy or whatever it's referred to in Fords in the future so I can tune any future Mustangs using a newer one that will support higher ethanol contents. I would like to know that the problem is just with the early cars to make sure that would fix it. Would be really nice if there was a fix for it HP Tuners could implement but I'm sure they are busy with other things.

Advanced Tuner
    Try the 2013 strategy. I havent gone above E40.8 yet so I don't know if it will be any different but you can give it a shot

Any headway on this?

My 2012 GT hits this spark source fairly frequently when the engine is full hot. I run 93, so I don't think it is ethanol related.

I really want to get this spark source disabled, or at least under control!

Tuner in Training
    normally this is caused by not copying the cold start ignition retard tables to the 'alcohol' cold start ignition retard tables. Some ROM's don't have these tables defined.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnson Tuning View Post
    normally this is caused by not copying the cold start ignition retard tables to the 'alcohol' cold start ignition retard tables. Some ROM's don't have these tables defined.

Interesting! I never would have guessed that.

I do have the alcohol tables and they were zeroed, while the regular tables were populated. I will test this theory out, thanks!

Advanced Tuner
    This was fixed a long time ago, the 2 tables have been added to the spark section

Quote Originally Posted by Jn2 View Post
    This was fixed a long time ago, the 2 tables have been added to the spark section

Have you observed populating the alcohol tables as a fix for recurring "cold start emissions reduction" spark source?

Even after populating the alcohol tables, I'm still seeing it pop up as a spark source when just depressing the pedal.

Still fighting this issue.

This log snippet shows perfectly steady light pedal, with the spark source switching back and forth between 'base' and 'cold start emissions reduction'. This is super annoying!

cold start spark switching.jpg

This is the only spark table that has the keyword "cold" in it, but it doesn't seem to apply. The labeling is weird, but I think it's just a spark advance maximum value vs ERT and ECT:

cold start table.jpg

Maybe we are just missing more tables for this? Has anyone seen a table in SCT that could help?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Mine will also go into cold start emission reduction, but only a little bit after a restart. I just set timing close to what it is without being in emission reduction so it doesn't change much at all. Only workaround I've seen so far.

Quote Originally Posted by MRRPMBRP View Post
    Mine will also go into cold start emission reduction, but only a little bit after a restart. I just set timing close to what it is without being in emission reduction so it doesn't change much at all. Only workaround I've seen so far.

Which timing table did you change?