Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LC-1 help

Advanced Tuner

LC-1 help

Finally got my exhaust bung in and the wiring done. I hooked up the LC-1 per soundengineers diagrams. Am I correct in saying that all grounds go to pin 5 on the EIO and the Blue wire (heater ground) from the LC-1 gets grounded to the frame? I ran the blue wire back through the firewall and grounded it to a screw near the battery that is used for other grounding. Is that right?

When I look at the sensor in log works I see 14.6-14.7, but in hpt using the LC-1 it cycles back and forth between 10 and 14.0. Oscillates like a nb. I have the brown wire, analog 2 coming into the #1 on the EIO. Is it a ground problem? Where can you ground it so you don't get a ground offset? To the DTC connector?

When I programmed the LC-1 through log works I set it to 1/6th on the analog 2. I had the serial connector going into the serial out connector and the serial in was plugged with the terminator. Is that correct? Do you leave it that way? When would you switch it the other way?

In logworks under analog 2 I set it to AFR instead of lambda and then set the top voltage to 1.0 and the bottom to 2.0. Then I set the AFR on top to 10 and the bottom to 18. Is that correct?

In the table view, I inserted the wideband lc-1 under the eio input 1. HELP
    www.outlawpontiacdragseries.com
    Come race with us in MA, PA, and VA!

2005 GTO A4 - Spintech X-pipe with Powerstick mufflers, IAT relocate, Volant, !scoops, !cowlgasket, !skid plate, LM-1, HPT2.0/MPVI Pro USB, 275x40x17 Nitto DR, rolled fenders, Pedders 2985 springs, Britax baby seat with 5 point harness.
    Stock:13.36@104
    Mods in sig:[email protected]

Tuner
    hey man, i'm having the same freakin problem with my LC-1 oscillating like a NB and I KNOW all my wiring is good. good luck, nobody seems to want to help. i've asked on about 3 forums including the innovate forum. no replies.
    2003 Silverado SS -6.0L - 4L65e - AWD
    2008 GMC Sierra CCSB - All stock
    2011 Chevy Traverse

it sounds like a grounding issue to me on both of you guys...
    you need to double check your green white black wires and make sure they are securely grounded..
    also need to make sure you have a good solid 12v for heater power and a good solid ground for the blue heater ground..

you can also double check your EIO by using some spare wire and toucing a AA batter to the 2 terminals on the eio..and reading RAW VOLTAGE in the scanner in the appropriate EIO box..make sure its "steady as she goes"

and make sure it makes sense

also if you check Raw voltage with EIO and LC1 you need to set LC1 to a flatline voltage(preferrably one that would equal 14.7 in the setup) so that you can test it that way as well...and that will also be a way to test for offset voltages
    -Scott -

Advanced Tuner
    The green and the calibration black are grounded to pin 5 on the eio. The power (red) goes into the fuse block. The blue is grounded to a bolt near the battery. Where else can I find +12 switched in a GTO?

After reading a bunch of forums, I'm wondering if I should ground the LC-1 heater ground to the engine block. Is the ECM/EIO/DTC connector grounded to the engine block? Would it make sense to ground it to the back of the DTC connector?
    Last edited by PurplePiss; 05-08-2006 at 09:00 PM.

2005 GTO A4 - Spintech X-pipe with Powerstick mufflers, IAT relocate, Volant, !scoops, !cowlgasket, !skid plate, LM-1, HPT2.0/MPVI Pro USB, 275x40x17 Nitto DR, rolled fenders, Pedders 2985 springs, Britax baby seat with 5 point harness.

Advanced Tuner
    Second thought. I also don't think I have the LC-1 programmed correctly and I am lost on how to setup the LC-1 in hptuners. Do I use the LC-1 listed in the program already or do I setup a custom PID with the .625+10.??? crap?

ok..so holty sent me a log of his problem...
    his log shows he has fuel trims going on...
    so he's not in open loop, and if he is..then its only partial...
    so I'm guessing you guys both have the same issue...
    with a wideband you need to be fully in open loop..no fuel trims..no LTFT and no STFT
    you need to log commanded AFR and Actual AFR(wideband)
    and use the AFR error Pid to get whats really going on
    in your PID's for EIO
    you guys should both be using the LC1 if you own an lc1 or you should create a custom EIO Pid to match your needs
    I personally like to set the LC1 to read 10~18 AFR
    which give you a formula of Volts/ 0.625 + 10
    and you need to make sure your PID is set up as AFR as teh sensor and AFR as the units

the thing I'm seeing on holtys log looks normal for when you have fuel trims corrrecting..it bounces back and forth

please post a log of your issues and I will make sure you got it going on correctly
    make sure you log LTFT and STFT to be sure you are truely in open loop
    -Scott -

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer
    with a wideband you need to be fully in open loop..no fuel trims..no LTFT and no STFT
    in your PID's for EIO
    you guys should both be using the LC1 if you own an lc1 or you should create a custom EIO Pid to match your needs
    and you need to make sure your PID is set up as AFR as teh sensor and AFR as the units

the thing I'm seeing on holtys log looks normal for when you have fuel trims corrrecting..it bounces back and forth

please post a log of your issues and I will make sure you got it going on correctly

thanks dude, finally some resolution to this freakin problem that has been killing me for 3 days now. i really appreciate the help.
    2011 Chevy Traverse

Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer
    in your PID's for EIO

How do you disable the fuel trims? This might be what is messing me up!!

As always, thanks for your help and info, soundengineer!
    All Motor 2001 GA GT1

Advanced Tuner
    So you cant run in closed loop and log AFR with a WB? Should the trims maintain it near 14.7? When I step on it and it goes into PE/OL, I still see it fluctuate. I don't think thats it.

disable closed loop completely so you are fully in open loop...
    log your normal stuff..except dont do fuel trims...
    and log comanded AFR (high res) and post the log...I'll be able to tell you what up a little better If I see a log

dont forget to reset fuel trims as the LTFT is learned and will affect fueling
    -Scott -

Another dumb question. If I enable closed loop at 284*F, i'll always be in open loop. Where would I set the commanded afr when not in PE? Also, us V6's only have commanded lo res.

Thanks!
    All Motor 2001 GA GT1

Should look like this:
    Attachment 623
    Always Support Our Troops!

LOL... I wish V6 (see attached).

I suppose I could just activate PE at 0% TPS and use the adders.

Sorry to hijack the thread... it's gettin' to be habit...

Thanks!
    All Motor 2001 GA GT1

Ahh. Only one variable... I guess you max that one out.
    Check with Foff to be sure. He's the V6 guru.

EC
    Always Support Our Troops!

Advanced Tuner
    Did some more testing last night on the 05 GTO A4. First i tried to calibrate the LC-1. Turned the key on and opened logworks programmer. Clicked on analog 2, then set it to AFR. Set the top voltage to 0 and the bottom to 5v. Set the top afr to 10 and the bottom to 18. Hit program. Close.

Opened it back up again and it switched to lambda, click on afr and the values are there, except 18.00 changed to 17.99. Set it back, hit program. Scratched head. Opened Logworks and it is reading 20.9. Car hasn't been started at all yet. Inserted the EIO input as a User defined and i set it up like the 2 screen shots attached. Am I missing something? It was reading 19.75 when the LM Programmer was saying 20.9. There are 3 logs attached. The first 2 were just fooling around. The last one, I loaded my stock tune and turned off DFCO, COT, set maf fail freq to 0, and copied HO to LO table. Flashed, then started the car. Went into the DTC VCM controls and hit reset fuel trims.

What do the DTC VCM controls do? Can you just use these to put it in OL and turn off LTFT's?

I don't have AFR Commanded (HiRes) only LoRes.

In log #3, what am I doing wrong and do you think my WB is setup right. Any help much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by PurplePiss; 05-11-2006 at 07:57 AM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePiss
    Did some more testing last night on the 05 GTO A4. First i tried to calibrate the LC-1. Turned the key on and opened logworks programmer. Clicked on analog 2, then set it to AFR. Set the top voltage to 0 and the bottom to 5v. Set the top afr to 10 and the bottom to 18. Hit program. Close.

Opened it back up again and it switched to lambda, click on afr and the values are there, except 18.00 changed to 17.99. Set it back, hit program. Scratched head. Opened Logworks and it is reading 20.9. Car hasn't been started at all yet. Inserted the EIO input as a User defined and i set it up like the 2 screen shots attached. Am I missing something? It was reading 19.75 when the LM Programmer was saying 20.9. There are 3 logs attached. The first 2 were just fooling around. The last one, I loaded my stock tune and turned off DFCO, COT, set maf fail freq to 0, and copied HO to LO table. Flashed, then started the car. Went into the DTC VCM controls and hit reset fuel trims.

What do the DTC VCM controls do? Can you just use these to put it in OL and turn off LTFT's?

I don't have AFR Commanded (HiRes) only LoRes.

In log #3, what am I doing wrong and do you think my WB is setup right. Any help much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

As far as the LM Programmer goes, mine does the same thing. Set it to A/F close it, and open it again, goes back to Lambda. Not sure on that one, but i know it dosn't matter, its just for display purposes. If you read the manual for the LM Programmer it says that those are just two different ways to display the same thing and it does not affect output of the LC-1. Don't ask me man?? lol. Don't know why the HPT scanner reads a different A/F ratio than logworks, i know mine is pretty accurate, but sometimes i do notice the readings are off a little like yours. I don't think there is anything you can do about that one. The VCM controls are were you are telling the computer to turn off closed loop, turn off fuel trims, and reset the fuel trims. This should put you in full open loop. I looked at your log#3 and your you WB seems to be working just fine, EXCEPT you are getting the weird "spikes" to full rich just like me. I have yet to figure that one out.
    2011 Chevy Traverse

Tuner
    You need to determine your voltage offset (if logworks has a different AFR than the hpt scanner). Go into the LM programmer and set the lc-1 to the same voltage across the board. For example, set it to 2.0V for 10.0 and 20.0 afr. Measure the voltage at the EIO to see what it is actually reading. For example, mine reads .03V lower at the EIO than what I programmed the lc-1 to output. Then you need to change the PID for the lc-1 per this thread:
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5267
    You should also set the output to 1/12 in LM programmer if you haven't already.
    99 Firehawk T/A NBM, M6, 403, TFS, Harrop, etc

Advanced Tuner
    Do you mean read it in hptuners or put a volt meter on the wires coming from the LC-1. If the latter, which wire to I measure? Ground to brown? Is 20.9 correct for the calibration?

Advanced Tuner
    Ok, I made some more changes to my "VEtuning bin".

I changed the "Closed loop enable coolant temp vs startup coolant temp" to all "306" across the board.
    I removed the IAT spark adv correction under 122 degrees.
    Deleted all TM

Under Engine Diag I set P0101-P0103 to 0-MIL on First Error and uncheck their SES enable check boxes. Incidently, changes made to the Engine Diag areas do not show up under the change log history. I think they should.

Now, if I upload this. I should be in SD mode right? Did I miss anything? Should I shut off the Air Pump?

Do I need to set something to 1.13? I read that somewhere.

What should I log to start VE tuning? I should be able to start VE tuning by clearing the LTFT's when I start it up corrrect?. My VE bin is attached.

Tuner
    For the LM programmer just set the scale to 0-5V, 10-20AFR (or whatever scale you want) and then close it after you hit the program button. Don't worry about the settings it reverts to when you open it back up.

For the voltage offset, you can read it with hpt, but I just used a voltmeter and measured across the EIO input (LC-1 brown).

When does it read 20.9? That's about right if the car wasn't running (and hadn't been for a while) and the lc-1 was powered up.
    99 Firehawk T/A NBM, M6, 403, TFS, Harrop, etc