Thread: P1222 code and derate on an 04.5 Cummins

Tuner in Training

P1222 code and derate on an 04.5 Cummins

A friend of mine has an 04.5 Dodge 3500 with 300,000 miles on it and stock injectors in it. It has been reflashed or updated with Dodges lastest software release but continues to turn on the intake heater light and set a p1222 code and derate power. I understand this could be due to a higher than exceptable rate of return from one or more injectors. Thing is the truck runs great until it does this and it doesn't do it all the time. Is there a way to disable this in the ecm? I have found some stock tune files with this code and others without it but I am sure it is more than just setting the code to not report? Thank you for any help.

Advanced Tuner RandomEnthusiast's Avatar
    p1222 is throttle pedal circuit short condition..... Test your throttle pedal. Also the 03-07 models have a tsb for sticking injectors on 5 and 6 mostly that will melt down pistons. I doubt that's your issue because that would cause serious smoke and dead turbo along with a nasty dead skip. So test throttle pedal cricuit. Maybe a wire is pinched somewhere and is shorting to ground so the pcm goes to derate. Intake heater is on or off truck?

Tuner in Training
    The intake heater is on the truck still.

Advanced Tuner RandomEnthusiast's Avatar
    Hmm. Interesting. I would do an injector balance test. Maybe one is sticking open. A little.

Tuner
    you can kill codes and limp mode, but the grid heater light will come one, also seen bad fuel tube and tube o rings cause this and along with a cp3 on another occurrence besides injectors
    Joe ''House'' Kupferschmid
    Diesel Tuning man..
    FB me or
    www.angoladavesdiesel.com

Tuner in Training
    Howbdo you disable the limp mode. Can't find it in the tune file for an 04.5 Dodge.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtcjt View Post
    How do you disable the limp mode. Can't find it in the tune file for an 04.5 Dodge.

Tuner
    here is a 2005 tune that had same issue after new injs and cp3 he just wanted it bandaided for now
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Joe ''House'' Kupferschmid
    Diesel Tuning man..
    FB me or
    www.angoladavesdiesel.com

Tuner in Training
    Thank you.

Tuner in Training
    So which is actually the area that sets the parameters for the limp mode? I downloaded a stock tune file a G56 transmission and saw quite a few differences in the limiters and such. The embarrassing thing is I have worked on big diesels for 25 years it is just now where I am getting an indepth look inside the ecm and trying to figuring out what exactly does what.