Thread: Transmission hot after swap

Transmission hot after swap

I have done a lot of searching and do not really see anything that applies to this problem. 2006 Escalade that now has a 4L80E and tune has been adjusted to reflect. Everything works flawless until the transmission temp gauge (factory) reads roughly 160*. I get a Transmission Hot across the display and trans will act as if it is in limp mode. I have gone threw the tune settings and can not see if I am missing something or what. I repined the stock transmission plug to correspond the the 4L80E pinouts. Thought or help please.
    Attached Files Attached Files

2006 Escalade LMM Duramax Tuned
    2000 S10 Twin Turbo 6.0L
    56 GMC 100 Status Unknown

Hot after swap

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrperformance View Post
    I have done a lot of searching and do not really see anything that applies to this problem. 2006 Escalade that now has a 4L80E and tune has been adjusted to reflect. Everything works flawless until the transmission temp gauge (factory) reads roughly 160*. I get a Transmission Hot across the display and trans will act as if it is in limp mode. I have gone threw the tune settings and can not see if I am missing something or what. I repined the stock transmission plug to correspond the the 4L80E pinouts. Thought or help please.
    I swapped a 6.0 litre and a 4L65E trans into a 2007 Rodeo, same problem, randomly and continuously it would go into 'hot mode' every 5 or 10 minutes. I couldn't ever find out why and so I just copied all the 'normal' files into the 'hot mode' so that when it goes from normal to hot to normal there is no noticeable changes to the transmission operation.
    2005 VZ Monaro 5.7, Harrop HH112, water injection, LT Headers, Flowmaster mufflers, 3.73 truetrac Harrop rear.

2007 Holden Rodeo 6.0 litre conversion with 4L65E transmission.

That's what I've done after about two or three weeks of my wife calling with "it's doing the bang thing when it shifts"! Haha. Kinda disappointed with the HP staff that they don't have any clue as well. Thanks for the reply and suggestion. It is appreciated.

Tuning Addict
    Trans Diag - Trans Overtemp - you can't just raise this way up (add 150 or so)? Has this been tried with no benefit? Agree something is amiss, but would think this setting should do something?
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

I have raised to to the max input and it will still trigger it.

Tuning Addict
    It's most likely temp sensor resistance then - although I'm not sure why they would use a different part for this? You can purchase one for your original tranny, drop the pan and then install this one... First I would just try swapping the two pins for the temp sensor and seeing if it makes any difference at all if you haven't already since it was rewired? I'm kinda wondering if it's a different sensor with this being a "background" calibration for the sensor - wondering if this is your problem? Is it possible to do a segment swap for the 4l80? I know just changing the setting to 4l80 will completely change how one shifts and operates - yours is already changed, but just saying there's a lot in the background OS we don't have access to...

Just throwing some ideas out there...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

I did the segment swap at first and had the problem. Then I loaded the original with the drop down change to 4L80E and same. Went through the plug pins and they are swapped correctly so only thing left would be the temp sensor may be faulty. I have a new spare and need to install the shift kit and deep pan so I'll swap that and see what I get. Thanks

Let us know if you get it figured out, I might eventually
    be able to get mine right too.
    2005 VZ Monaro 5.7, Harrop HH112, water injection, LT Headers, Flowmaster mufflers, 3.73 truetrac Harrop rear.

Will do.

Advanced Tuner RandomEnthusiast's Avatar
    Have you datalogged it to see what temp the sensor is reporting? If it's constantly reporting like 400 degrees even when it's cold I would without having to drop the pan pull the connector and probe the connector and measure ohms across the sensor and see if it's within spec. If not maybe it's the harness rubbing. Or if it checks out I would double check wiring and it still it acts stupid I would then try to segment swap again and again. And if that doesn't work I would look into another pcm/tcm. But first make sure your harness isn't pinched or grounded out somewjhere.

Well I broke my input drum the other day while tuning the 2-3 wide open shift RPM...
    and I asked the shop to fit another temp sensor while they were in there so I guess
    I'll know if that was the problem for me, when I get it back together..

Finally got my transmission in and all running, they fitted a reinforced input drum with a sleeve pressed onto it, and also a new harness or temp sensor. It seems to be OK and I can actually now see the trans temp for the first time ever. Also I am not getting the trouble code UO100 (with check engine light) that I was getting at least every day previously. I may now try to look back at the "hot mode" issue and copy the original hot mode files back in to see if that's still an issue. One other issue that I have with this transmission that I cant seem to make any better is a harsh shift from first to second at very low speed. It was much worse initially but I lowered 1-2 pressures and increased the shift time gradually a couple times . It is now only noticeable at very low (basically idle or just above) speed in slow traffic it bucks into second.... any other ideas.. I have tried increasing the time for the 1-2 shift massively down low like 1.5 or 2.0 seconds but this has no effect at the very low speed.

Potential Tuner
    I?ve got a 2004 Chevy Silverado z71 that I did a complete 4l80e swap and tune along with Fbo. Everything runs great and does great until it goes into limp mode due to a ?trans hot? warning on my dash. The temps on the data log and directly on torque converter/trans pan, never exceed 180. Everything is repined and wired correctly. Any solutions out there? I have no clue

Tuner in Training
    Apologies for resurrecting this thread again, but I'm having the exact same issues after a 4l80e swap and it's driving me nuts. Had anyone found a real solution?
    Segment swap again, new os, new ecm etc

Potential Tuner
    I get the same message but the actual trans temps are normal.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by chaingun427 View Post
    Apologies for resurrecting this thread again, but I'm having the exact same issues after a 4l80e swap and it's driving me nuts. Had anyone found a real solution?
    Segment swap again, new os, new ecm etc
    I have tuned a 6.0L/80E swapped Chevelle that has the driveline out of like an 05-06 3/4 ton truck. It kept going into hot mode around 165F. I just copied over the normal values to the hot values and it no longer locks the converter right after the 1-2 shift and bangs through the gears. HPTuners really needs to define the Hot mode enable temperature values for most of the P01 and P59 operating systems. It would also be nice to get the minimum trans temp for TCC defined as well. In cold weather I have to drive 4-5 miles with an unlocked converter at highway speeds before it will lockup.

Tuner
    I believe on the stock tune for that trans it has to get to 80 degrees to lock up. same on a 4L60 or 6L80-90.