Thread: running ba/bf/fg pcm with cable throttle/carby

Advanced Tuner

running ba/bf/fg pcm with cable throttle/carby

just curious if theres a way to tune out the forced shutdown the pcm will do when you try and run a cable throttle or carby as it goes in to APP error mode with no pedal. as the revs rise above the FMEM forced limited rpm the pcm thinks its a runaway condition and shuts it down. at least that's what i assume is happening.

i've asked support for the feature to either disable or adjust the conditions required to set the FMEM forced limited rpm and forced shutdown but not sure if they're actually going to be able to do it or whats going on with it tbh.
    i get a few people ask about this kind of thing with conversions, so it would be good to look in to a way around this through the tune.
    disabling the electronic throttle has no impact on the situation.
    i've tried a heap of shit when i first got hptuners to try and stop it happening but i cant remember everything i tried and i didnt know the software or pcm as well as i do now - having said that, i still need some help with it.

Tuner in Training
    Not a exactly a tuning suggestion but a possible workaround?

Connect the potentiometer from the Ford pedal to the tb or pedal of whatever car it's going in to and keep the motor for the tb connected to the loom so it still thinks it's all stock. Then change the pedal and tb settings in the tune to suit the limits and characteristics of the cable operation.

There may be an easier way but this is all I can come up with right now.

Advanced Tuner
    Easiest way would be to hook up dummy sensors, you might even have to hook up a dummy actuator for the throttle. Without finding some more limits in the PCM code it will be hard to stop it from happening and support may not be interested in finding the time to do this (not trivial).

What are you using the stock ECU for, to run the trans?

Tuner
    Is it possible to raise the threshold at which signals the forced shutdown?
    Example, if forced shutdown is at 1200rpm, can it be altered to say 3000rpm (or any other rpm) where is has less impact from driving condition?

Advanced Tuner
    ive asked for the ability to change that kind of thing a few months ago but i seem to ask obscure shit that doesn't get much of a response from support so just have to wait and see.