Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: please share info on 2015 lt1

Advanced Tuner

please share info on 2015 lt1

Hi

I`ve been out of tuning with hpt for years. last tune was an 03 z06 w/3.0L whipple on a modded 383 ls6...I did the engine rebuild, installs and tuning up to around 1000 rwhp.

Haven`t touched anything since

can anyone help bring me up to snuff on this gen 5 silverado lt1 which will be getting a 2.9l whipple?
    for example,

1) does this have a map sensor on it? if so, details?
    2) is ecu an e90?
    3) any links to tuning procedures? engine/tranny, recommend steps to tune?

tia
    2003 MY Z06 3.3 liter whipple ...sold at around 1000 rwhp
    wip 2015 Silverado w/2.9 Whipple (phase 1 completed) phase 2 in the works

1 yes
    2 E92
    3 Read forum, it's full of links to tuning

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    1 yes
    2 E92
    3 Read forum, it's full of links to tuning
    1) ok, can I assume that stock map is a 1 bar? if so, not looking to make big power, so, can this stay or should it be upgraded?

3) been reading for 10 hours......now have extreme headache, but a better understanding of how different this will be as compared to tuning c5 vettes

while I have acquired some knowledge, any links to actual real world steps and in what order, would be nice

here is the current status

1) whipple tuner kit on its way
    2) stock whipple tune donated by a member
    3) Autometer wideband and boost/vac gauges on the way
    4) 2 channel iat on its way
    5) will get wb bung welded to exhaust.....any hints on best location would be helpfull
    6) truck currently has a diablo tune with hopefully the stock tune in the diablo and intact....any thoughts or warnings on this?

one member has suggested getting a 3 bar map and having the baro sensor removed from maf..... any thoughts on this?

more to come

thoughts: seems like a lot of hair pulling went on when gen 5`s first hit the scene.....trying to not go thru more than needed

Can`t afford to invest in tuning school`s $800 anti, so will have to try and tough this out on my own....any help, links are appreciated

thanks in advance
    Last edited by rjw; 07-12-2016 at 04:15 AM.

www.dsxtuning.com for a baro breakout/ls9 map sensor
    update the tune to reflect the different sensors

read up on how the torque model works in many of the threads

also read this:
    https://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_ed...vanced_e78.htm

Advanced Tuner
    www.dsxtuning.com for a baro breakout/ls9 map sensor
    update the tune to reflect the different sensors

read up on how the torque model works in many of the threads

also read this:
    https://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_ed...vanced_e78.htm
    1) spoke to dsx and they couldn`t confirm that their harness, would work on this vehicle ( they are vette specific)
    2) read a lot about problems, but kind of looking for where to start and order of checking/adjusting things
    3) read the link and still digesting

thx

I would see if they'll let you return the harness if it doesn't fit that vehicle.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    I would see if they'll let you return the harness if it doesn't fit that vehicle.
    they will take it back, but the gentleman (jeff) told me that the harness is not really necessary with a manifold mounted sc??

any thoughts on that?

thx again

Advanced Tuner
    That would be because the MAF/Baro doesn't see boost in a twin screw setup. The problem is with a centrifugal supercharger that pressurizes the intake piping, causing a Baro reading that is inaccurate.

I'd have to see the two setups to say much more. I haven't dealt with gen 5's much. They for sure know more about them than I do

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by doc350 View Post
    That would be because the MAF/Baro doesn't see boost in a twin screw setup. The problem is with a centrifugal supercharger that pressurizes the intake piping, causing a Baro reading that is inaccurate.
    that`s what they told me...thx

Quote Originally Posted by doc350 View Post
    derrr...my bad.

if you want a 3 bar map, the LS9 is a direct replacement, not the LT4. just update the map info in the tune copied from a ZR1.

Advanced Tuner
    derrr...my bad.

if you want a 3 bar map, the LS9 is a direct replacement, not the LT4. just update the map info in the tune copied from a ZR1.
    I really only want/need what is necessary to properly/safely tune this lt1 at 8 or so psi

Wideband needs to go before the cat converter if you are running one.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Wideband needs to go before the cat converter if you are running one.
    got that, thx !!

Quote Originally Posted by rjw View Post
    I really only want/need what is necessary to properly/safely tune this lt1 at 8 or so psi
    To properly tune the car you will need to tune the speed density tables, which is the VVE tables and to do that you need a MAP sensor that can read boost so you can calculate an accurate pressure ratio.

Advanced Tuner
    To properly tune the car you will need to tune the speed density tables, which is the VVE tables and to do that you need a MAP sensor that can read boost so you can calculate an accurate pressure ratio.
    is the ls9 3 bar the only one available for this app? ( i only really need a 2 bar for this)

is there a difference between ve and vve tables?

thx

Quote Originally Posted by rjw View Post
    is the ls9 3 bar the only one available for this app? ( i only really need a 2 bar for this)

is there a difference between ve and vve tables?

thx
    the LS9 is plug and play and has accurate available configuration information sitting in a ZR1 calibration just waiting for you to copy it. ;-)

VE and VVE are the same thing, the extra V stands for Virtual, which means you need a tool to convert a tradtional VE table into coefficients that are used today. There is a Wizard tool under Edit menu, you can read up on how to use it.

Advanced Tuner
    the LS9 is plug and play and has accurate available configuration information sitting in a ZR1 calibration just waiting for you to copy it. ;-)

VE and VVE are the same thing, the extra V stands for Virtual, which means you need a tool to convert a tradtional VE table into coefficients that are used today. There is a Wizard tool under Edit menu, you can read up on how to use it.
    ok...gathering parts and will be starting on sc install, etc near end of month

thx to everyone so far....don`t go away, will need help later, I am sure !!

Tuning Addict
    You just have to watch out on the baro still being in the MAF - this is just because the blower sucks a lot more than the NA setup did - SO your baro will drop under high airflow demands due to air filter restriction... Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this... Other than that shouldn't cause any bad problems 3bar map is cheap from any gm dealer or online - install before installing sc on engine - typically goes in the very back of a whipple... Engine will not start until you input the new map settings, so remember that before you test fire
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    You just have to watch out on the baro still being in the MAF - this is just because the blower sucks a lot more than the NA setup did - SO your baro will drop under high airflow demands due to air filter restriction... Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this... Other than that shouldn't cause any bad problems 3bar map is cheap from any gm dealer or online - install before installing sc on engine - typically goes in the very back of a whipple... Engine will not start until you input the new map settings, so remember that before you test fire
    actually, I would really prefer a 2 bar map, in that this setup will never see more than 10 or 12 pounds.... and resolution would be finer. I like the idea of killing the maf baro, but would need the pinouts of the truck, etc to do this on my own...depending on how the budget looks around crunch time, I am seriously considering David`s harness

thanks for the input....!!