Thread: Ideal Lap

Potential Tuner

Ideal Lap

I couldn't find this anywhere so i hope it hasn't been suggested.

I keep a spreadsheet of corner entry speeds, speed at the end of straights and so on for analysis. On my last DE I had a considerable improvement in best lap yet when I analyzed the data I was sub-par in 10 of the 23 points I examine. That leaves a lot of room for improvement.

Racing drivers seem to be able to do multiple laps within a tenth of a second or two of one another. I'm lucky to do two seconds. This led to the idea that it would be interesting and useful to combine all the data from a session into an ideal lap, what you could have done, within your current capabilities, if you did everything right. It would give you a bogey to shoot for that would highlight where you need to improve and improve as you improve.

We should have something very much like this when we roll out sector splitting capability in the future (and you then run a session at a track with sector points defined)...

My current vision for this is to show you your individual sector times per lap, and then also calculate your ideal or theoretical best lap time by taking the best sectors from the various laps of that same session. I'd like to go a bit further in some ways, but that's the basic premise, and this somewhat simpler approach avoids some other potential issues. The accuracy of this theoretical lap time would of course depend on how consistently you were driving at each of those sector points from lap to lap (ie speed and driving line at that instantaneous point), hence why its only theoretical.