Thread: Preview shuts off when recording starts?

Preview shuts off when recording starts?

I am setting up a new Nexus 6p phone/camera with TA.

When I press preview to get the shot/video displayed it's good. Then I press record and the screen goes black. However, the recording & obd/gps data is fine when I review the session.

What's going on? Thanks.

Are you saying that when you are on the Record screen, the small video preview square turns black or disappears, but the video recording that it produces is still ok?

If the video recording is good, then that's odd that the small preview would disappear, but I wouldn't worry about it (it's not really useful at that point anyway; we only show it because we sort of have to on Android)... I haven't seen that happen before, but there's such a wide variety in Android devices and behaviors, that it's not uncommon for some devices to behave a bit differently. A bit odd for a Nexus device to do this; it's usually Samsung that causes us headaches. I'll keep an eye out for this, but most likely, your camera hardware doesn't support that preview size (or maybe just not when recording at the resolution you had selected).

Or, are you saying that the screen goes entirely black when moving to the Record screen with video recording enabled, but it still records ok (just no lap time or other displays at all)?

IIRC on my old phone (Motox / lollipop) as I drove the car and recorded the session the whole full screen was displaying real time the session. Now it goes whole screen black. Which is not "fun" for the passenger if he/she wants to glance up at it. I am busy of course.

I am not sure on your question of the small preview, my memory is that the whole screen goes black.

The Nexus 6p is marshmallow os.

The video recording is ok in both cases. With data.

Advanced Tuner
    hi froggy, should look something like this. Lap time, map/track overlay, gps and obd status, current speed and distance traveled. Small preview of video in bottom left.

Screenshot_20160719-103257.png