Thread: Input Smoothing and Brake Light

Advanced Tuner

Input Smoothing and Brake Light

I am experimenting with using TrackAddict for GPS/timing only and using a separate data logger/file for OBD stuff. It's an EFILive FlashScan (probably a bad word on here, sorry lol!), so similar to hptuners- it has access to many more engine parameters and logging speed is much higher.

I have been logging oil pressure (voltage converted to psi using calc), but the data is very noisey/spikey. Is there a good way to smooth or average out the data in RR?

There is a simple brake pedal on/off switch/indicator. Unfortunately it does not return a number, but simply "released" or "applied". Is there a way to link that text in a log file to a simple brake light in RR?

Thanks,
    Aaron

For gauges, the Gauge Designer tool does have a "Smooth Needle Movement" option that may be of some help here, depending on the circumstances. In many cases, this will already be enabled. Besides that, you may want to open the file in a spreadsheet program and add your own new column based on a smoothing formula, and then export that back out as .CSV for RaceRender. Be sure to select the right data field in RaceRender so that it uses your smoothed data.

As for text values in the file, everything is presently loaded numerically, so the "released" / "applied" data channel would show zeros for both cases by default. The quickest way to handle that would be to use a spreadsheet or text editing program to do a Find & Replace to set "applied" with a 1, and "released" to 0. The other thing we could look into is possibly adding some special handling that would map those to 0 and 1 when loading the file... If you can send an example of a data file like this to me at Info@RaceRender.com, preferably one that also contains any other text channels that could be mapped, I'll take a look and see if there's a good way to accommodate this...

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks for the quick response as always Weston.

I'll send you that file, but the find/replace function is a great idea, I'll probably just do that (since it's looking like I am probably going to be opening up the csv and tweaking some stuff anyways). But the text to number function may be useful for others.

Thanks for sending the file. The next update to RaceRender (version 3.4.5) will map these text strings, as well as several other text statuses that are likely to be seen, into a 1 or 0.

Advanced Tuner
    I tried the "smooth needle movement" option in the gauge designer, it helped, but wasn't nearly enough for this noise oil pressure gauge input. I'll have to play around with some various moving average formulas in excel and go from there. Thanks for the help!